Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So cattle do it all

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:33 am

Ithink that Larry still has bulls. Jack Mcnamee cattle look like this type also. Dennis Voss and Mike I think have this type but do not know for sure as have never seen those herd. If you want those type you have to start and believe and the cows will show up. Bob H
Back to top Go down
Farmerkuk

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:56 pm

I hear talk of guys selling the commerical man replacements but have not been able to find those any for sale. ONCE in a great while I will see hfrs at Riverton sold as Shoshone bred! I would think there would be a good market to sell that type of replacement.  Bulls are easy to find!  Awesome replacement's with the correct breeding are a little tough to find!

I raise a terminal bred calf to feed in my feedlot!! not interested in keeping females nor raising my own replacement until further down the road.  Leave that up to someone else who can specialize in that area. I grow corn and feedlot calves..................

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:01 am

Farmerkuk wrote:
 Bulls are easy to find!  Awesome replacement's with the correct breeding are a little tough to find!

I think that's a common misconception - if the first statement were true the second one wouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:02 pm

PatB wrote:
Since there is not a BS section on this site I posted the link here to the above article.

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/060413_SomeCattleDoItAll.aspx

Just for you mike. Razz  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

A frame score of 2 to 5 seems to be optimum for the cowherd, as well as the feedlot. Our 3 and 4 frame mature cows weigh 1100 to 1250 pounds. That is big enough! They will be a bit heavier in our northern herds and a bit lighter in our southern herds. That is nature’s way. The only difference between a frame 4 and a frame 5 is a couple of inches between the ground and the belly – which doesn’t weigh anything and is impossible to eat!

from the above, would the logical conclusion for a neophyte to reach be "frame score is insignificant" ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:13 pm

We have never worried about frame score. If the cow can cover herself and rear a fast growing calf which quickly reaches the weight which make them easy to sell, kill or keep, depending on your and your client's farming system, and then by default are also capable of covering themselves, then what has frame scoring got to do with it? If the ability to grow acceptably, cover themselves acceptably and replicate themselves acceptably, are selection pressure then pretty confident that the frame score will end up about right for the environment and farming system too. When selection is for numbers on a page, fashion or ego then there is no guessing where frame scores will go - I am confident that cows bred and selected on the aforementioned would be all over the place - anecdotally I am sure Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:14 pm

MKeeney wrote:
PatB wrote:
Since there is not a BS section on this site I posted the link here to the above article.

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/060413_SomeCattleDoItAll.aspx

Just for you mike. Razz  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

A frame score of 2 to 5 seems to be optimum for the cowherd, as well as the feedlot. Our 3 and 4 frame mature cows weigh 1100 to 1250 pounds. That is big enough! They will be a bit heavier in our northern herds and a bit lighter in our southern herds. That is nature’s way. The only difference between a frame 4 and a frame 5 is a couple of inches between the ground and the belly – which doesn’t weigh anything and is impossible to eat!

from  the above, would the logical conclusion for a neophyte to reach be "frame score is insignificant" ?
Neophyte - I don't know where the country of Neophe is located in the world so I don't know how they think or even what language they speak. I am a local guy and I am more concerned in the economic conclusion of prices and the big deducts against short cattle. Buyers in Pharoville must not use the same pricing scheme as everywhere else in the USA. I wonder why, but not wondering too hard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So cattle do it all   

Back to top Go down

So cattle do it all
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2