Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Particular Genetics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhudson

PostSubject: Particular Genetics   Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Some breeders are promoting their cattle as having "sustainable genetics." My question is what is "sustainable genetics"? The second question I have is that if the animals promoted as having sustainable genetics have the same sire as numerous other animals then what makes the breeder promoting sustainable genetics any different? Thanks, Jim
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 am

Marketing is marketing. Beware of word plays. Marketing is marketing. Beware of new, different, the unspoken known and the whispered truth. Marketing is marketing.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 am

If we aren't "sustainable", we wouldn't be here and everyone would be hungry !
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am

I left Kit`s audio promoter a few questions/statements

Are soyhulls forage?
Wouldn`t cattle that flesh on low inputs get way too fat on grain; thus, negating their value for anything other than use on grass?
how can smaller frame, fat calves increase dollars per acre return when there is a 10 to 20 cent discount in the commodity marketplace for such?
where`s proof that smaller cows are more efficient in grass conversion? Consumption is not linear with cow weight…
just how little validity does a bull test have if all animals have been removed from their contemporary weaning group?
thx, Mike Keeney
Back to top Go down
jhudson

PostSubject: Particular Genetics   Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 am

Good questions. With some it is "sustainable genetics" and "intensely line bred." With others it is " forage only cattle genetics." With all it is, in my opinion, about marketing something that has yet to be clearly identified and defined. When we speak of forage only cattle what forage are they speaking of, the lush grasses of the blue grass valley of Virginia, the sorry grasses of south Georgia, the prarie grasses of Kansas? How can you have identifiable forage only cattle genetics when you are selling cattle from numerous environments and raised by numerous cooperators all with different genetics which are often times mainstream? How were such genetics identified and what was criteria for identifying and who has verified? Jim
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Sun May 19, 2013 1:29 pm

I haven't made time to listen to the interview but from what I've heard from farao before about his efficient little "round, sound and close to the ground" grass genetics doesn't seem to jive with what he is selling.
These Hereford ? things look like run of the mill corn genetics to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Sun May 19, 2013 2:24 pm

marketing something that has yet to be clearly identified and defined; let alone bred...
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 am

MKeeney wrote:
marketing something that has yet to be clearly identified and defined; let alone bred...

Clearly an example of why the TruLine concept of harnessing hybrid power should never be conjured up to be just another marketing tool.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Larry Leonhardt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Clearly an example of why the TruLine concept of harnessing hybrid power should never be conjured up to be just another marketing tool.

After 30 years and 79 pages at KC of what TruLine means , I have yet to conjure a definition or understanding that is even remotely marketable ...so every day, I just play with my ABC building blocks; and the results are never too bad if you keep the C block on top of the A block to make the B block...pretty advanced stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Larry Leonhardt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Larry , the TRULINE concept by my understanding ....here ...on .. KC ..has never been used as a marketing tool . An animal understanding tool , a human understanding tool , a appreciation of individuality amongst thought provoking intense bastards .. well then , yes , TRULINE has been abused . Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Particular Genetics   

Back to top Go down

Particular Genetics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1