Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Young bull management

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LCP



Posts : 70
Join date : 2012-04-16
Location : north central SD

PostSubject: Young bull management   Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:46 pm

The boss and I are at odds over management of the coming 2 yr old bulls. I ran them harder this winter than we have in the past. They were with the big boys and the young cows (2 and 3 yr olds) on cornstalks, then on grass/alfalfa hay. They had protein supplement available in both situations. In the past, the yearling and coming 2 bulls were in the dry lot for the winter and got about 6 lb of corn every day.

My reasoning for doing what I did was that the 2 yr old bulls' female contemporaries feed should be good enough for the bulls too. Especially since we are still 2 months from breeding, and those bulls don't have to give birth or nurse a calf from now until then, so why should they need extra feed?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 pm

I agree with you Luke. Our rising 2 year old bulls get straight forage in winter - either hay or silage depending what we have. I see their feed requirements being slightly less than bred 2 year old heifers. That's how we sell our bulls - turned 2 year old weighing 1400-1500lbs when they leave here, usually in May. Most of my customers don't turn them out until July anyway so they reach peak breeding condition on grass.
Lots of guys still don't get it though - even the guys that claim to be looking for naturally raised bulls then once they come see them they are disappointed they aren't fat and weighing a ton. I always ask these folks what size their bred heifers are and why they would want the bulls that much bigger?
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Kent Powell



Posts : 606
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : SW Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:57 pm

The boss is the boss.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:50 pm

LCP wrote:
The boss and I are at odds over management of the coming 2 yr old bulls. I ran them harder this winter than we have in the past. They were with the big boys and the young cows (2 and 3 yr olds) on cornstalks, then on grass/alfalfa hay. They had protein supplement available in both situations. In the past, the yearling and coming 2 bulls were in the dry lot for the winter and got about 6 lb of corn every day.

My reasoning for doing what I did was that the 2 yr old bulls' female contemporaries feed should be good enough for the bulls too. Especially since we are still 2 months from breeding, and those bulls don't have to give birth or nurse a calf from now until then, so why should they need extra feed?

Thoughts?

This sounds like the first stages of the rise of a new BOSS. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
larkota



Posts : 371
Join date : 2010-09-23
Age : 57
Location : Kimball South Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 am

W.T wrote:
LCP wrote:
The boss and I are at odds over management of the coming 2 yr old bulls. I ran them harder this winter than we have in the past. They were with the big boys and the young cows (2 and 3 yr olds) on cornstalks, then on grass/alfalfa hay. They had protein supplement available in both situations. In the past, the yearling and coming 2 bulls were in the dry lot for the winter and got about 6 lb of corn every day.

My reasoning for doing what I did was that the 2 yr old bulls' female contemporaries feed should be good enough for the bulls too. Especially since we are still 2 months from breeding, and those bulls don't have to give birth or nurse a calf from now until then, so why should they need extra feed?

Thoughts?

This sounds like the first stages of the rise of a new BOSS. Laughing Laughing Laughing


agree with Kent.

rise of a new boss...maybe .....at 53 years old, now see old boss could of saved me alot of pain, if only I had listened.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:57 am

larkota wrote:


agree with Kent.

rise of a new boss...maybe .....at 53 years old, now see old boss could of saved me alot of pain, if only I had listened.

I think if new boss is looking to produce the same with less he'll do OK. Most of the new, young bosses (self included) seek/sought to prove old boss was wrong by increasing production without measuring cost/implications of additional inputs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 535
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 am

Meet the New Boss.
Same as the Old Boss.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

TD, my beard has grown longer overnight.
Back to top Go down
LCP



Posts : 70
Join date : 2012-04-16
Location : north central SD

PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Old boss keeps saying he's turning things over to me. 90% of the time it seems that way, the other 10% I don't think he's really ready to yet. I do a lot of things the same way as he does/did. But I never want to do something just because that's how we've always done it.

Most of these bulls are mine, as is 75% of the calf crop. I guess if anyone is going to get hurt it will be me. We tend to run pretty conservative bull:cow ratios as well.

Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Young bull management   

Back to top Go down
 
Young bull management
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Young bull pictures
» 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale
» Young Woman Loses Breathing Tube In Dream...help please
» AGGRESSIVE BULL!!!
» Praying for young married couples

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: