Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bullvine......................................................

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Bullvine......................................................   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm

quite the writer Smile

Gandhi once said “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win!” A pattern I have seen perfectly since starting the Bullvine. When we first started many ignored us. After a little while they started to laugh at us. And now more recently they have started to fight us. Guess that means………
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm

A few parallels. wouldn't you say Mike?

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times. It is the hope of spring, it is the dead of winter. It is the blessing of moisture, it is the curse of mud. It is the start of sale season, and I am supposed to advertise. The calls are coming. They ask, do you still sell bulls? Sure! We are down to what Linda calls the dirty dozen.

I am trying to design a marketing ad campaign, and I have decided I may be as full of it as those I detest. There is no professional help available, they do what they do and what they do is what is popular. The purebred business is like a car dealership. Not differentiation, but one upsmanship in all the stuff that really doesn't matter. They all have the same thing, it is the price, atmosphere and service that makes the difference. In terms of todays measurements and trends, I can see why the mainstream might name what I am doing the Ford Disapointment or the Dodge Regret. Try to market that. Old Reliable or Mr. Consistency don't seem to fare much better. As I see it, what I actually have could be compared to what I learned to drive. It was a 1979 1/2 ton 4 speed Ford. It didn't have enough power to get stuck, but would pull a trailer better than today's weak springed 1/2 tons. I started it in gear without the clutch. When you were where you wanted to go, you shut it off. Reliable, could pull through the tough times where too much power was a hindrance, and had convenience traits which made it useful to and usable by a 7 year old yet enough power and durability to do what a pickup was expected to do. When they gave them more power on a lighter frame, we had to go to our first 4 wheel drive and to 3/4 and 1 tons to even attempt to do what we were used to doing and go where we used to go. I would love to be able to get another like the original today.

Isn't that what the mainstream is doing now? 2,200 pound cows on 1,200 pound frames. I wonder how that is going to hold up? There I go again. How can you be anything but snide and negative when what is happening is so screwed up? The UNCF used to say " A mind is a terrible thing to waste". That is BS. Being informed may be hazardous to your attitude.

I hear the radio ads and they are doing what I thought I am doing, but they have breed leading EPD's and are sired by top 25 sires. How do you compete with those who can do it all and look good doing it. They walk to feed and water, up hill both ways- over rocks, through a maze, pass an IQ test, run the 40 in 3.2... have unmatched feed efficiency and are all above average. Lake Woebegone is in the bull business. You can have it all, and it has now been repeated enough it cannot be refuted. Brings to mind Seth Godin's book "All Marketers are Liars". What if that isn't OK with you? What kind of ads will do? Most of us who have been doing it for awhile don't need to advertise much, but if the drought tought me anything it was that I needed to have a little more demand in case I need it.

I thought I had an original thought or two, but then I find where Larry Leonhardt or Roy Beeby wrote it 30 years ago. Much of what I believe was said by those who are at the top of the mainstream now too, but I still think it is true. Mike does a good job, but I cannot out Mike- Mike any more than I can out Henry or Mark - Gardiners. While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it is stealing. If I have had a semi original thought, please remind me because I have now forgotten it.

While what I have are technically "Angus", I don't really care to be in the 2200 lb donor cow worshippers club AAA has become. I don't appreciate the AAA filling my customers mailbox with things that imply refute by repitition nearly everything I say and the cattle represent. I am glad the packers got rid of those little boxes I heard so much about when I was showing 1400 pound steers with 18" REA grading choice. Take a couple inches of REA off of them so they qualify for CAB and feed a few hundred pounds more on them so they don't leave money on the table and they would fit what the movers and shakers say we need today.

It is petty, but I don't care to turn in a damn thing and pay while signing away my rights yet not get EPD's anymore as a backdoor mandate for a new "program"--for the good of the collective when that collective is 80% hobby, part time, exhibition, recreation, etc. members who will do like the flag and go with the wind.

So where does that leave things? Bulls: Fewer Problems. Black. Polled. Sound. Fertile. Call:

And DeBaca said performance was boring?

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 am

just look at the business we are missing out on Kent; by telling the mainstream to "stick it"...

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/3648486319.html

corn must be cheap in Ohio...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

Did you already buy them and sell them as fats?
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Kent Powell wrote:

I hear the radio ads and they are doing what I thought I am doing, but they have breed leading EPD's and are sired by top 25 sires. How do you compete with those who can do it all and look good doing it. They walk to feed and water, up hill both ways- over rocks, through a maze, pass an IQ test, run the 40 in 3.2... have unmatched feed efficiency and are all above average. Lake Woebegone is in the bull business. You can have it all, and it has now been repeated enough it cannot be refuted. Brings to mind Seth Godin's book "All Marketers are Liars". What if that isn't OK with you? What kind of ads will do? Most of us who have been doing it for awhile don't need to advertise much, but if the drought tought me anything it was that I needed to have a little more demand in case I need it.

Kent Right-On!!

This is every heifer calf I had borned in 2012. To me they all look the same.

I stopped raising bulls after my repeated customers either died on me or went out of business. But than this year I've had more calls from people wanting bulls than when I had them. But being a small little dink in the cattle business that isn't A.I.ing to Final Answer or In Focus, you must be a nut case. Plus when I did get people looking at the bulls, I'd get comments like they all look the same, how can I sort from these.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullvine......................................................   

Back to top Go down

Bullvine......................................................
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: