Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Model A embryos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 am

new rule: cant use premium and cheap in the same reply.

thats like saying a cheap Caddy or a premium Volkswagon. only marketing value.

rule to BOLD

should of said when used together confuses me.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 am

I had a set of twin ET bulls yesterday...could the embryo have split after implantaion and produced identical twins? maybe there were two eggs in one straw by mistake? will know in time with DNA I guess...
hoping they are identical twins...since they hail from Shoshone Prudence 6157, I will name them Pete and RePete
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:46 am

Mike:

Yes, embryos can split after transfer to produce twins.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Steve wrote:
Mike:

yes, the ET vet was here this morning; confirmed the possibility; Pete and Re-Pete both looked very happy this AM...implanted 10 more embryos; so that leaves several for you guys who have inquired about implanting some...I will be in touch after New Years and we`ll get the effort started.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Ha, I had the same thing happen a few years ago and I named the twins bulls Pete and RePete. Great minds think alike. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:04 pm

I am kind of worried how a probably 10 milk epd recip is going to raise 2 calves. Hell, most say that milk level won't raise 1 nice calf.

I think you need better names, especially if this was out of a virgin heifer. Why don't we name 1 Jesus and the other one Christ to celebrate the season. Both could be saviors for commercial cattleman around the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Wow, Mark. Why not just beg for some coal in your stocking this year? 'Tis not the season for blasphemy.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:41 pm

I prefer Pete and Re-Pete... just like Peter and Paul, they might SAVE a commercial producer some time, and hopefully some problems, or at least create fewer problems on the way to making a certain type of cow...there are no Savior bulls; despite what the charletons write that want to save your business and your soul with one-stop-shop-at-home simplicity.
But of course, if you pay too much, you don`t even save any time...remembering Thoreau, who said walking was quicker than riding the train...when you added up the required working time to pay the train fare; he could already be at his destination by walking .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

MKeeney wrote:
But of course, if you pay too much, you don`t even save any time...remembering Thoreau, who said walking was quicker than riding the train...when you added up the required working time to pay the train fare; he could already be at his destination by walking .

Good quote, made me laugh......gotta love human nature

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Steve wrote:
Mike:

Maybe a stupid question but on one ET we had I got a heifer calf from a recip that turned out to be infertile - it didn't have the deformed external genitalia that free-martin heifers often have but otherwise that is exactly what she looked like. Now is there any way that could have started out as twins and then one been shed? Either the ET missed seeing 2 embryos and implanted as one (unlikely)or one split after implanting? Or can the hormone treatment the donor cow is on affect the hormones of resulting calves?
I heard a story about someone doing purebred Simmy ET's in the early days of the technology and they implanted twins into Holstein donor cows only to find most of the resulting calves were mixed sex twins with the females infertile Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

You couldn't get a free martin from an embryo splitting, it would produce identical (same sex ) twins.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:13 am

MKeeney wrote:
I prefer Pete and Re-Pete... just like Peter and Paul, they might SAVE a commercial producer some time, and hopefully some problems, or at least create fewer problems on the way to making a certain type of cow...there are no Savior bulls; despite what the charletons write that want to save your business and your soul with one-stop-shop-at-home simplicity.

Pete and Re-Pete are nearly 25% IBC; a level that seperates true walking line/ inbreeders from those who want to talk linebreeding as a marketing crutch and rarely ever do more than scratch the surface of tight breeding...just another con...
Besides their normal eartags, Pete and Re-Pete will be tagged with a special tag saying in big, bold letters
DO NOT CASTRATE
since that was the mistaken fate of the last ET bull calf I had from Shoshone Prudence 6157 ...those thinking you are going to recognize the goodness and "keep as a bull prowess" of these inbred calves by looking at their size and bloom as they drive them down the alley to the headgate have yet to learn that serious inbreeding is a brand new game...
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Tom D wrote:
You couldn't get a free martin from an embryo splitting, it would produce identical (same sex ) twins.

I guess if they implanted two by mistake it could have produced a freemartin though. Maybe it was just coincidence but she sure looked like a freemartin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Pete and Re-Pete are nearly 25% IBC; a level that seperates true walking line/ inbreeders from those who want to talk linebreeding as a marketing crutch and rarely ever do more than scratch the surface of tight breeding...just another con...
Besides their normal eartags, Pete and Re-Pete will be tagged with a special tag saying in big, bold letters
DO NOT CASTRATE
since that was the mistaken fate of the last ET bull calf I had from Shoshone Prudence 6157 ...those thinking you are going to recognize the goodness and "keep as a bull prowess" of these inbred calves by looking at their size and bloom as they drive them down the alley to the headgate have yet to learn that serious inbreeding is a brand new game...[/quote]

Been down that road Mike....In 2009 I castrated a 30% IBC 40% encore bull calf thinking it was to small...A few months later I kept noticing one steer that should have been left a bull....The Inbred one....

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Wait, wait, wait, then callicrate. Wink
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:56 am

Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:14 pm

That calf is on much better ground than mine right now.Wondering where the snow line is between Russellville and Nancy.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Mark Day wrote:
That calf is on much better ground than mine right now.Wondering where the snow line is between Russellville and Nancy.
2 inches here; on the way to 4 they say
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:30 am

Just a dusting compared to our 14+12+10 in the last week.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:35 pm

MKeeney wrote:

That looks like my normal calving season.. Razz

Quote :
Just a dusting compared to our 14+12+10 in the last week

Scott- hang tight.. I hear the weather predictors are looking at what they are calling a "major" snow event/blizzard-- and that the plains can again "EXPECT
ACCUMULATING SNOW LATE IN THE WEEK" Shocked No

Should be stirrup high grass next year !! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model A embryos    

Back to top Go down

Model A embryos
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2