Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I've decided to call bullshit on .....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 am

Quote :
always do what they should have done last year
good stuff Mike...but it`s what I should have done 5 years ago Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
mikejd4020

PostSubject: I've decided to call bullshit on....   Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Seems like your mind is made up.

If you do a lot better with your cows in the fall, why wouldn't you just put them all in the fall herd..????
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 pm

could not resist replying to the newsletter as below...

http://beef.osu.edu/beef/beefMar0613.html

I find it so ironic that you propose to quit growing hay in the first topic to squeeze out more forage profit and then promote cattle shows in the next topic to waste more than has been gained in the first...
The Ohio Beef Expo, the premier event of Ohio's beef industry...

wow, all credibility lost....mk

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

mikejd4020 wrote:
Seems like your mind is made up.

If you do a lot better with your cows in the fall, why wouldn't you just put them all in the fall herd..????

higher feed bills since we can`t get much to grow in winter here as they can farther south...but we can stockpile...be fun to see just what kind/type etc can stand more summer breeding heat ...making through selection turn Angus into Brangus? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes with that troy marshall 3 year rate of constant improvement, I`ve plenty of time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mikejd4020

PostSubject: I've decided to call bullshit on...   Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm

So when do the deer and the antelope calve in the bluegrass state.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 am

mikejd4020 wrote:
So when do the deer and the antelope calve in the bluegrass state.

may...but just as importantly, when do they breed?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 am

I'm actually building a small fall calving herd here although that may seem counter-instinctive to this "calving when the wildlife do" movement.
I don't run a wild population I run domesticated cows in a for profit beef producing situation and I think there are some advantages to fall calving although they might not all be applicable to everyone.
It spreads out bull use. Conception rates tend to be very good here in the fall because of our grass quality in September. It allows the option to run two herds both calving at 2.5 years rather than 2 which eliminates the need to feed heifers separately and ensures better breed back after the first calf(not sure yet how this pencils out exactly but I'm optimistic) For bale-grazers the quantity of feed you make available to the cow should allow her to be rearing a calf. Instead of feeding dry cows and weaned calves separate over winter I can let the cows feed the calves with only a slight loss of feed efficiency. It also avoids health problems weaning calves going into winter - wean the August calves in June and you never see any health issues. Having calves to sell in the spring when the grass is starting to grow versus selling into the fall run usually results in higher prices. In our dry climate the feed requirements of a fall calver are not that much more than a spring calver. August born steer calves would be a nice fit for my grass-fed program being fat at 23-24 months. Unlikely to get frozen ears/much snow in August although it's possible - anytime before June its likely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
mikejd4020

PostSubject: I've decided to call bullshit on....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:42 am

I suppose they breed end of oct beginning of nov. I'll I am saying is that if Grassy can handle 11.5 months of winter in the north country, you not need to worry. Also your bulls seem to do fine in the heat "here."
Back to top Go down
mikejd4020

PostSubject: Ive decided to call bullshit on....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 am

While running the risk of being called farao I often get nervous about people who run a fall herd. To me it goes like this.

"701 is one of my best cows. Her first calf was weaned off at 632 lbs. Then I moved her to the fall herd. (or did she move herself there) Her next calf average a WDA of 3.63. Then I thought no I want her in the spring herd.(Again failed to rebreed on time and got set back.) At some point during these moves, you lose a calf sale. My advice is that you find one herd calving time and stop the confusion.

Why are cows doing better in the fall herd????????

Lets be honest, as a commercial cattle guy, I really don't give a rats ass when the bull was born. I just want him to do a good job breeding when I open the gate.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am

mikejd4020 wrote:
I suppose they breed end of oct beginning of nov. I'll I am saying is that if Grassy can handle 11.5 months of winter in the north country, you not need to worry. Also your bulls seem to do fine in the heat "here."

the heat there is minus the humidity here...if we could get this gestation selected down to 200 days to match deer, we`d have something...calve in warm grassy weather of May...breed in cool Nov weather after a good summer of grass; maybe even the deer are weaned by then? so those using the deer analogy are basically BS ing us, or haven`t thought it through...
I would not move anything that doesn`t settle in the fall to spring; same with a reasonably developed, open heifer that doesn`t get bred in a spring or fall season...
fertility is a great thing for the farao `s of the world to promote theirs as better, since everyone would like a better breed-up...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 pm

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing a champion Angus bull today ...double bred 004; triple SAV; a big glob of non-semen producing fat, with rear feet taped to add support if and when he mounts...I thought he was the jump steer when I first saw him...
but the trip revealed to me the need for registration papers...two black bulls that looked a lot like the jump steer bull that I then assumed were Angus were actually Limousin; the red bull I thought was a red Angus was a Gelbvieh, and one bull that I thought was red Angus, was red Angus...so only 1 out of 5 recognizing what breed I was looking at; and here I am trying to pose as a cattle breeder...tsk; tsk... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 am

MKeeney wrote:
testing, testing...weather, weather, weather...ok, since weather is no longer a banned word at KC; I want to get this written down in black and white so Mike Wilson will call bullshit on me if I don`t follow through...
yesterday was the last march 5 it will ever rain two cold inches on a KmA baby calf; and today is the last morning a soaked baby will awaken to two inches of snow...in shorter words, bulls are going out later...June 10 the target...two negatives; younger bulls for a yearling bull sale; if customers need older bulls; they can buy fall bulls...
two, breed back may be worse; all indications, even research, says it will be...that`s ok; we`ll do 45 days; let the chips fall where they may... two`s and three`s will get moved to fall calving; where they make 95% + breed up routinely...
quote of the day from an 85 year old farmer...
if you don`t have your living made by the time you are 65 years old, you probably never will...

Might want to rethink june 10....couple inches cold rain today colder tuesday maybe snow. I think Feb. is drier than march.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 pm

shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
testing, testing...weather, weather, weather...ok, since weather is no longer a banned word at KC; I want to get this written down in black and white so Mike Wilson will call bullshit on me if I don`t follow through...
yesterday was the last march 5 it will ever rain two cold inches on a KmA baby calf; and today is the last morning a soaked baby will awaken to two inches of snow...in shorter words, bulls are going out later...June 10 the target...two negatives; younger bulls for a yearling bull sale; if customers need older bulls; they can buy fall bulls...
two, breed back may be worse; all indications, even research, says it will be...that`s ok; we`ll do 45 days; let the chips fall where they may... two`s and three`s will get moved to fall calving; where they make 95% + breed up routinely...
if you don`t have your living made by the time you are 65 years old, you probably never will...

Might want to rethink june 10....couple inches cold rain today colder tuesday maybe snow. I think Feb. is drier than march.

about 3 inches rain here today but it warmed up...can`t out maneuver Mother Nature; just look on the bright side of what she sends...
June 10 it is; while Feb is drier; too long until grass for a wet cow to eat the $40/roll sorry ass hay I buy..
send pics Tom...
thx for just sitting over there in the mountains on that sack of seeds Smile

.........................................................Horse Butte 1126 of 3128...Encore son/from Encore dau
...........................................H & H Shoshone 879
........................................................Shoshone Lucy 879
.......................H&H Shoshone 879-A786
........................................................Shoshone Exton 760
.........................................Shoshone Pride A788
.......................................................Shoshone Pride A730
shilow
.......................................................Shoshone Encore 6310
...........................................K A Encore 2
.......................................................Countess of Balboa J O D 2
......................R&R Shoshone Queen 835
...........................................K A Blackcap 423
....................................................K A Blackcap 753

Tom,
can you spare some cows to test a bull for me? if so, bring your trailer April 6...no, no, I wouldn`t ask you to test that Waygu cross bull, but he`s sure going to find some cows somewhere

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 am

MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

about 3 inches rain here today but it warmed up...can`t out maneuver Mother Nature; just look on the bright side of what she sends...
June 10 it is; while Feb is drier; too long until grass for a wet cow to eat the $40/roll sorry ass hay I buy..
send pics Tom...

.........................................................Horse Butte 1126 of 3128...Encore son/from Encore dau
shilow
.......................................................Countess of Balboa J O D 2

Tom,
can you spare some cows to test a bull for me? if so, bring your trailer April 6...no, no, I wouldn`t ask you to test that Waygu cross bull, but he`s sure going to find some cows somewhere

H&H Shoshone 879-20 seed is not so rare.... No EPD information on file....how could you trust a bull like this?

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 am

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

send pics Tom...

shilow

Tom,

H&H Shoshone 879-20 seed is not so rare.... No EPD information on file....how could you trust a bull like this?

know thy ancestry Smile
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

send pics Tom...

shilow

Tom,

Briann never heard H&H Shoshone 879-20 and never used AI before.....Mike hope to make your sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've decided to call bullshit on .....   

Back to top Go down

I've decided to call bullshit on .....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5