Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tru-line offspring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:02 am

RobertMac wrote:
Mike, I don't really know how to answer your questions. I don't sell bulls anymore unless someone finds me and makes me sell to them. I don't register my cattle anymore, I'd rather raise my purebreds...the pedigree is in the name/brand.

As for Lasater philosophy cattle comparing with the rest of the breed, check out isacattleco.com .
From their latest flyer... "L Bar bulls and their progeny comprise an incredible 36% of all performance trait leaders-for the entire breed!" (ranked in the BBU Spring Sire Summary)
That is l-, what about Lasater?

Wasn't BBU the show guys, and FBU Lasater and his followers. Are EPD's used by Lasater Ranch?

I remember reading old Cattleman magazines advertising leathery sheathy bulls that didn't resemble Lasater cattle. Names like Red Dick and Dun Dick. Many looked like shar pei paint horses.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 am

Kent Powell wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Mike, I don't really know how to answer your questions. I don't sell bulls anymore unless someone finds me and makes me sell to them. I don't register my cattle anymore, I'd rather raise my purebreds...the pedigree is in the name/brand.

As for Lasater philosophy cattle comparing with the rest of the breed, check out isacattleco.com .
From their latest flyer... "L Bar bulls and their progeny comprise an incredible 36% of all performance trait leaders-for the entire breed!" (ranked in the BBU Spring Sire Summary)
That is l-, what about Lasater?  

Wasn't BBU the show guys, and FBU Lasater and his followers. Are EPD's used by Lasater Ranch?  

I remember reading old Cattleman magazines advertising leathery sheathy bulls that didn't resemble Lasater cattle.  Names like Red Dick and Dun Dick.    Many looked like  shar pei paint horses.  
Kent, this is as best as I understand it...

There are 3 herds that have the same genetic base of the original herd Mr. Tom closed back in the late 1930s.
The Foundation herd in Colorado is the original herd.
The L Bar herd is oldest son, Laurie's herd.
Casey Beefmasters is the herd of Dr. Watt Casey, Mr. Tom's brother-in-law.

FBA was the Foundation Beefmaster Assoc....Lasater and followers.
BBU was Beefmaster Breeders Universal...the show guys.
The two associations combined sometime in the 1990s I believe and became Beefmaster Breeders United.

The Lasaters are excellent salesmen. Yes, they provide EPDs because they believe in providing as much information, that their customers are asking for, as possible.
sire, dame, grand-sire, ratio, individual measurement, EPDs

One thing I found interesting looking through the last bull sale data sheets was that out of 100+ bulls, there was only ONE bull with a +epd for birth weight. I guess some would call that " inbreeding depression". I call it evidence of "lack of hybrid vigor".

There has been a effort to clean up sheaths in the breed for functional purposes and a lot of progress made.
To a true Beefmaster breeder, color isn't an issue.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:55 pm

I love the Multi sire sires and the unknown cows in the pedigrees as recently as the 90's in the l- cattle. I would like that better than whole herd reporting requirements. Intelligence is admitting unknowns, not making it up for future generations to defend.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Sewall Wright on pedigree...
in judging the value of a pedigree, it is, of course, important to give as much weight to the inferior animals represented as to the champions. unfortunately, it is not possible to learn much of the characteristics of any but the latter class. The rest of the pedigere consists merely of names. A knowledge of the methods and ideals  is of great assistance in giving substance to these names.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 am

The cows I got from the Foundation herd only had the dame on the papers...all else blank.
All I needed to know was the name of the breeder.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 am

MKeeney wrote:
Sewall Wright on pedigree...
in judging the value of a pedigree, it is, of course, important to give as much weight to the inferior animals represented as to the champions. unfortunately, it is not possible to learn much of the characteristics of any but the latter class. The rest of the pedigere consists merely of names. A knowledge of the methods and ideals  is of great assistance in giving substance to these names.

What did Wright die from ? A nameless pedigree , a inferior champion or no one took the time to experience the methods  .   Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   

Back to top Go down

Tru-line offspring
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3