Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tru-line offspring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Tru-line offspring   Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:53 pm

from Bob Howard with Bob`s comment...

These calves are 9 mo’s old and have been weaned since the 1st of October because the dirty little buggers ride everything. They are at least 3/4 Shoshone. They have been on irrigated Winter cereal Rye

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 pm

I'd take a gate cut of them, if'n I didn't need to get rid of two gate cuts myself.

Well done Mr. Bob.

Joe
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I really like the masculinity displayed in your calves, Bob. As someone who is on the verge of making the change to a tru-line approach, I am very encouraged by seeing results like this. The philosophy and reasoning have already clicked in my mind, but seeing the proof in the pudding is nice.
Back to top Go down
tim hair

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am

nice group of bulls, would love to see pictures of the dams and heifer mates.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm

We are a little behind the curve but intend to get some more photos shortly. Just recieved the last kill information on the lighter yearlings. The steer and heifer mix weighed 1311, they were 91% choice and 1.8% yeild grade 4's. I would not know what to change we work so hard at picking just the right bull ha ha. This is from the outfit that puts the boys with the girls. When a population is bred to be good enough you end up with good enough in a large %. Bob H
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Bob H wrote:
We are a little behind the curve but intend to get some more photos shortly. Just recieved the last kill information on the lighter yearlings. The steer and heifer mix weighed 1311, they were 91% choice and 1.8% yeild grade 4's. I would not know what to change we work so hard at picking just the right bull ha ha. This is from the outfit that puts the boys with the girls. When a population is bred to be good enough you end up with good enough in a large %. Bob H

Thanks for the data Bob. If you don't mind a few questions. What was the avg HCW and the high and Low HCW. how big of ribeye as if it matters. Outstanding data.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Bob`s cows to cornstalks...

below type look familiar?

comment away Bob; others...looks like a lot of good maintenance feed on the ground ..mk
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 pm

and the 2012 calves...

keep them doggies and pictures rollin` Bob... Smile
Back to top Go down
Farmerkuk

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Cows look great Bob!

I like those black nosed chars..............

Cornstalks are excellent feed for winter time grazing. My cows will be on stalks until april, unless I have to sell because of the drought. As it stands now I will be selling at least 1/2 of my herd. I hope I can find more summer pasture or a home for them this summer. Only thing postitive about selling cows is I can start over with some true-line. sunny
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 am

Who is the maker of the blue water tanks?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 am

Pat, somewhere I thought I read Behlen on them...
http://www.behlencountry.com/index.aspx?ascxid=behlenCatalogProduct&i=561
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 am

Thems the prettiests stalks I've ever seen after September, of which by then mine were covered by a foot of growth from volunteer corn.

If it ain't alive or in a barn, it is wrotten already.

Thanks for the pics Bob.

Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am

Thought that I would comment on the pictures. The top set are a set of bull calves that we left intact last spring at branding. They are just as random as you could get as most of the population were bred to char bulls The next pictures are just as random. The trueline cows have a pink tag and a year iron, there are about 300 mixed in that mob. The bottome set of pictures are of the truline calves, the black bull calves and Akaushi calves out of the heifers are the only thing that is not in that mob. The char x calves are out of trueline cows and the majority of the blacks that you see are trueline replacement heifers. They have been weaned about 2 weeks on dry feed with a little bit of greenup in the bottom. The picture of them trailing accross the regrowth grain is because we are moving them to another big feild of native grass. If anyone has any questions I would give a try to answer. And yes the blue troughs are Behlen. One more thing is that is Jessica trailing the cows, and our Nephew Newt in the picture with the calves. Bob H
Back to top Go down
tim hair

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks for the pictures
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 am

Bob,
Are the Charolais bulls you use bred emphasizing "end-product and growth" triats? Are they linebred?
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes Mike they are selected for end product and growth with one limiting factor we do not buy a bull with more than 90lb birth weight as we believe that a coupon is the most important thing to have on a ranch. The bulls are not just selected to be linebred but my understanding of Eatons program quite a few are. Bob H
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:14 pm

For Bob H, Dennis and Jack and Ben. What % have you been able to reduce your cull rate to with your tru-line cattle from what they were? Bad udders, bad dispostion , opencows, Poor performance. Which one has been reduced the most or have they been eliminated? W.T Tired of politics and need to clear my mind with cattle talk.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

W T we have had good results now, when we were using mainstream genetics we would cull as high as 25 % of the 3 yearolds and never less than 15% that were open. We had a hard time keeping a very big perecentage after 7 or 8 years old. When we purcahase cows it was not uncommon to lose 15 % the first year and then calm down to 5% after that with most of the population gone within 6 or 7 years for one reason or another. This fall we 610 hd of cows with about 500 Shoshone cattle mixed in them there were 28 open or late total with at least 10 being non Shoshone. It appears to me that it is a problem that I am not going to focus much effort on as it good enough. The other intersting thing to me is we wintered that set of cows tougher than I would like. We then turned them in a feild the last of March that we wanted to stay in until July but had to move on the 18th of May because of no rain. We then ran them on good enough feed too make yearlings and they bred like rats. The more that I am around cattle that are linebred to be Mothers more that I am sold on it is Maternal Genetics that make cows. It appears to me if you use the right genetics they will renew themselves, when you put the boys with the girls you get coupons back it, seems like it is just that simple. Bob H
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 am

I went north on Fathers Day after I got a call about a cow out on the Highway... After I got a couple of calves in- I did a little check on the cows- as I had 2 left to calve that were close to running out of time...And it quickly showed up that they had calved...

It stood out quite clear- when both of the sons registered angus cows- had a couple of "Keeney calves" ...WinkRazz

This is Ridge Runner Grey out of Cole Creek Clovanada 54U and sired by Cody's One Nutter Steer or Jack's Fence Stretcher.... Not going to worry about DNA testing for sire.....  Wink
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 am

you`re still soooooooooo clueless after all these years OT...
you better DNA your cows, their sires, and their calves...for they are the usual, non-descript, meaningless "registered" Angus, nothing Tru-Line  about them in any way...but if this calf happens to be a crossbred instead of a "registered" Angus, he might accidently teach you a lesson since I obviously haven`t...

The ability to learn is older — as it is also more widespread — than is the ability to teach. mm
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Cole Creek Clovanada 54U tells me nothing...how about a registration number so I can read the pedigree and imagine it means something as I once thought...we could see if any attempt had been made to closer breed...anyone wanna bet she is above 3% IBC?
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 am

MKeeney wrote:
Cole Creek Clovanada 54U tells me nothing...how about a registration number so I can read the pedigree and imagine it means something as I once thought...we could see if any attempt had been made to closer breed...anyone wanna bet she is above 3% IBC?

15822854--AAA says she is .42 % ......
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

And I say she is one generation away from being a crossbred at that pace .  Jon
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:16 pm

jonken wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Isn't everything one generation away from being a crossbred? 

Why should a commercial producer concern himself with IBC in his females?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm

LCP wrote:
jonken wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Isn't everything one generation away from being a crossbred? 

Why should a commercial producer concern himself with IBC in his females?

to avoid it? Smile
about the only thing separating OT`s crossbred calf he`s making light of from his cow is a set of meaningless registration papers unless you raised and were familiar with a majority of the animals in that pedigree...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tru-line offspring   

Back to top Go down

Tru-line offspring
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next