Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 am

I'm convinced that my digital thermometers peg out at -40, because thats where they were sitting again this morning...I need to get an old regular one- altho not sure if I really want to know if its any colder !!!

At 9:30 we are warmed up to -30... Sad
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Interesting story on our weather up here:
The reporter used old info tho- because we have close to 80" of snow now and long past broke the record...
Hell of a way to keep making the State newspaper..

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_df259160-22f6-51d4-ad3c-cc55c4e10045.html
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:17 am

Double B wrote:
Got 4 & 5 ft drifts on our road tonight. Hope they get it plowed out soon I don't want to drive the tractor to town for copenhagen.

My wife has long ago learned to keep me well stocked with Copenhagen, cans of Pork and Beans, Canadian Whiskey (preferably R&R ) and whatever else is in the freezer (usually full of beef)--- and I can/will survive whatever blizzard/flood/etc that hits us.......

Looks like they are now predicting a big chance of a hell of a spring flood for us when it finally does quit snowing/blowing and warms up...That usually isolates me from town for a week or two--water never hit the homeplace or be where the new house is- except in 52 when the Frenchman Dam washed out- but sure leaves you isolated as no-one can get to you except for plane/helicopter....
I remember 30+ years ago when the snows were like it is now- we had major floods that shut off all roads to town-- and a local rancher - Gene Etchart- flying a cub plane used to land on the county roads- and I'd pick up loads of groceries/prescriptions to haul thru the snowbanks to the folks that needed them- and deliver them over several miles by saddlehorse... Sometimes it was a hell of a battle for the horse just to get thru some of the drifts to get to those folks places....

I hope to H this isn't another of those years......Getting too old to battle them and have fun like I used to......

1986 was the last bad flood-isolated from town for over a week.... Interesting thing is that later that year in September we had major rain storms-- up to 6-8 inchs out on some of that old semidesert adobe flats that caused another major flood- isolating me again for about a week...wife was pregnant with the youngest-Carla- and due any day... I sent her to town...Water went down enough that the last day before she was born I drove thru about 2 foot deep roads because wife wanted to come home- next morning she went back to Hospital- and Carla was born.....

Since then I've told daughter Carla that if she was a true Native American- her name would be Two Floods... Wink
But she still answers to it when I call her that..... Razz

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 am

Double B wrote:
Got 4 & 5 ft drifts on our road tonight. Hope they get it plowed out soon I don't want to drive the tractor to town for copenhagen.

Does anyone even sell copenhagen in copenhagen these days? They'd about have to mail it to you.

OT You better trade that snowmobile in for a jet ski pretty soon. It can't help but run a lot of water. Those 40 below temps. sure make for good wood spliting weather. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:55 am

[quote

Those 40 below temps. sure make for good wood spliting weather.

I'm starting to think my wife changed my name to "Git Wood" after this last cold spell.

Rod
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 am

[quote="Jack McNamee"]
Double B wrote:

Does anyone even sell copenhagen in copenhagen these days? They'd about have to mail it to you.

I have wondered about that to
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm

-14 actual temp last night was a new record cold for us + high winds and 18 inches of snow. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Got to 39 here today- kids said it was in the mid 40's in town.. Very Happy And I took advantage of a beautiful day and spent most of it outside..

Who'd a thunk it- 2 days ago we had 40 Below--today 40 Above and freezing rain...Its a skating rink out there on top of that snow.... Shocked

Sounds like a couple of days of snowing and blowing for our weekly weekend storm - and then back in the deep freeze Sunday night with temps going back down to 20 to 40 Below.... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am

wildlife really grouping up. pheasants peck at the bulls to get then up so they crap and the birds get a hot meal. should of had better shooters last fall. there must be 100's of birds. is cool how they get up in waves as I walk to the haypile,
deer hitting haybales hard, you know its bad when the deer come in. how do you guys that graze stockpile get the cows to break the ice crust. most around here that do this gave up and are trying to buy hay now.
rained here last nite cant walk across the yard dam near have to crawl. feedwagon passed the tractor this morning took off the jack.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am

larkota wrote:
wildlife really grouping up. pheasants peck at the bulls to get then up so they crap and the birds get a hot meal. should of had better shooters last fall. there must be 100's of birds. is cool how they get up in waves as I walk to the haypile,
deer hitting haybales hard, you know its bad when the deer come in. how do you guys that graze stockpile get the cows to break the ice crust. most around here that do this gave up and are trying to buy hay now.
rained here last nite cant walk across the yard dam near have to crawl. feedwagon passed the tractor this morning took off the jack.

OT has documented the weather Smile we definitely have had plenty of snow but the extreme fluctuation in temperature and wind are the biggest challenge...

Last night it rained a fair bit and only days before it was -35, combine that with all the snow we have and I will have a ice layer problem on the swath grazing, which in turn will mean twice a day moves and combining groups for larger numbers....

If that doesn’t work I will have to back blade the swaths Sad

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I hear you Hilly-- I hate ice...
Temps today are higher than predicted- in mid 30's, so not getting the predicted snow- but a few rain showers going thru...

Weather folks are saying there appears to be a major pattern change coming up about the end of next week--- which could end these weekly fluctuations and snow storms-- and move warmer Pacific weather a little further inland and east.... I hope they are right... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:00 pm

[quote

how do you guys that graze stockpile get the cows to break the ice crust.

Turn the horses in first. Razz

Last edited by rross on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : delete)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

rross wrote:
[quote

Those 40 below temps. sure make for good wood spliting weather.

I'm starting to think my wife changed my name to "Git Wood" after this last cold spell.

Rod

I have a good friend who grew up in Texas and he says that until he was 15 he thought his name was git wood. Better git more wood becaues we are headed to below zero again the way it sounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !   

Back to top Go down

No Big Sky in "Big Sky Country" today !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3