Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PatB

PostSubject: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 am

I wounder who gets to decide what bulls will get sequenced in each breed?

link to the article

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/92512MUResearchProject.aspx

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

I really do not know what all this stuff means but I can only hope that it means that they will identify great and greater bulls quicker. I just cannot wait to be able to buy semen on an Angus bull that is minus birthweight and has a $B of +$200. Then I can be rich from the cattle business.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm

EddieM wrote:
I really do not know what all this stuff means but I can only hope that it means that they will identify great and greater bulls quicker. I just cannot wait to be able to buy semen on an Angus bull that is minus birthweight and has a $B of +$200. Then I can be rich from the cattle business.

That should be in a couple of years depending on the assumptions (fudge factors) that go into $b.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:

That should be in a couple of years depending on the assumptions (fudge factors) that go into $b.
how can an animal be plus on $B when each pound of gain cost more to produce than it is worth as beef?

750 # Feeder Steer

Cost of Gain 500 pounds

Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)

Current Breakeven

Current Futures

Net Profit / Loss

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Somebody sells because they think the price will go lower. Someone buys them because they think the price will get higher. Knowing the cost of gain means a heck of a lot more than pie in the sky indexes. Feed prices change every day, as do cattle prices, and all gravitate to break even which is the definition of a commodity. Of course registered cattle aren't a commodity until they are.

Bootheel, not a commodity
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm

MKeeney wrote:
PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:

how can an animal be plus on $B when each pound of gain cost more to produce than it is worth as beef?

750 # Feeder Steer

Cost of Gain 500 pounds

Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)

Current Breakeven

Current Futures

Net Profit / Loss

What is the Saying "garbage in Garbage out" Add in a few assumptions based on ???? and you have a meaningless index.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm

The last Angus event I attended the question was asked what cattle a big feeder/grid marketer prefered, He answered Charolais sired out of Angus cows. When asked what cattle are the most profitable, he said cheap southern calves with a little ear. We can have preferances IF we know the difference. Raise premium, buy discount and improve their health and condition.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

It is pretty simple 1 +1 equals 2 not 1.5 if your calculator does not do this stay at home. At some times in the cattle finishing bussiness calcualtor will all have a y2k problem wait for the new shipment of calculators before purchcasing your self a loss. Just some thoughts on a risky bussiness Bob h
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Of course registered cattle aren't a commodity until they are.

Make room Larkota , Bootheel likes using spray paint when he submits wallhangers . Jon

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Bob H wrote:
It is pretty simple 1 +1 equals 2 not 1.5 if your calculator does not do this stay at home. At some times in the cattle finishing bussiness calcualtor will all have a y2k problem wait for the new shipment of calculators before purchcasing your self a loss. Just some thoughts on a risky bussiness Bob h

There are woinner's and there are loser's. And there will always be more loser's than winner's.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 pm

It appears to me that you have to win 51% of the time in order to stay in the game if you are playing with your own money, just some thoughts Bob h
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes at least 51% annd that takes alot of work and very little luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    

Back to top Go down

The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1