Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PatB

PostSubject: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 am

I wounder who gets to decide what bulls will get sequenced in each breed?

link to the article

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/92512MUResearchProject.aspx

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

I really do not know what all this stuff means but I can only hope that it means that they will identify great and greater bulls quicker. I just cannot wait to be able to buy semen on an Angus bull that is minus birthweight and has a $B of +$200. Then I can be rich from the cattle business.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm

EddieM wrote:
I really do not know what all this stuff means but I can only hope that it means that they will identify great and greater bulls quicker. I just cannot wait to be able to buy semen on an Angus bull that is minus birthweight and has a $B of +$200. Then I can be rich from the cattle business.

That should be in a couple of years depending on the assumptions (fudge factors) that go into $b.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:

That should be in a couple of years depending on the assumptions (fudge factors) that go into $b.
how can an animal be plus on $B when each pound of gain cost more to produce than it is worth as beef?

750 # Feeder Steer

Cost of Gain 500 pounds

Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)

Current Breakeven

Current Futures

Net Profit / Loss

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Somebody sells because they think the price will go lower. Someone buys them because they think the price will get higher. Knowing the cost of gain means a heck of a lot more than pie in the sky indexes. Feed prices change every day, as do cattle prices, and all gravitate to break even which is the definition of a commodity. Of course registered cattle aren't a commodity until they are.

Bootheel, not a commodity
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm

MKeeney wrote:
PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:

how can an animal be plus on $B when each pound of gain cost more to produce than it is worth as beef?

750 # Feeder Steer

Cost of Gain 500 pounds

Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)

Current Breakeven

Current Futures

Net Profit / Loss

What is the Saying "garbage in Garbage out" Add in a few assumptions based on ???? and you have a meaningless index.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm

The last Angus event I attended the question was asked what cattle a big feeder/grid marketer prefered, He answered Charolais sired out of Angus cows. When asked what cattle are the most profitable, he said cheap southern calves with a little ear. We can have preferances IF we know the difference. Raise premium, buy discount and improve their health and condition.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

It is pretty simple 1 +1 equals 2 not 1.5 if your calculator does not do this stay at home. At some times in the cattle finishing bussiness calcualtor will all have a y2k problem wait for the new shipment of calculators before purchcasing your self a loss. Just some thoughts on a risky bussiness Bob h
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Of course registered cattle aren't a commodity until they are.

Make room Larkota , Bootheel likes using spray paint when he submits wallhangers . Jon

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Bob H wrote:
It is pretty simple 1 +1 equals 2 not 1.5 if your calculator does not do this stay at home. At some times in the cattle finishing bussiness calcualtor will all have a y2k problem wait for the new shipment of calculators before purchcasing your self a loss. Just some thoughts on a risky bussiness Bob h

There are woinner's and there are loser's. And there will always be more loser's than winner's.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 pm

It appears to me that you have to win 51% of the time in order to stay in the game if you are playing with your own money, just some thoughts Bob h
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes at least 51% annd that takes alot of work and very little luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires    

Back to top Go down

The Angus Foundation to Fund Genomic Sequencing of Angus Sires
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: