Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genetic Evaluation....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 am

PatB wrote:
Bob H wrote:

As the future goes on it will not matter to me as an indiviual what other people think, but what is more profitable and sustainable on our ranch.

Very Happy cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
why the cheerrs Pat...more profitable and sustainable is everyone`s goal...so why isn`t the same type cow everyone`s goal?

Time to pay attention to the Weber-Fechner Law.
It's easier to tell the difference between two bags of flour that are three ounces apart in weight when one weighs a pound, than it is to tell the difference between two bags that are three ounces apart when one weighs twenty pounds.
It's easier to tell the difference between two flashlights that are 6 lumens apart when one is just 2 lumens bright than it is to tell them apart when one is 200 lumens.
The more stimulus you're getting (light, sound, pressure, delight, sadness) the less easily you can notice a small change. That seems obvious, but it's worth saying.
If you're entering a market filled with loudness, it's harder to be noticed, even if the incremental benefit you offer seems large to you. If you're trying to delight existing customers, the more delighted they already are, the more new delight you need to offer to turn heads.
One more reason to seek out those that are both interested and underserved.
Godin via Kent...thx Kent
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 am

The same type of cow does not fit in everyones resource base. The cow genetics needed for the south with heat and fescue may be different than the one needed in Maine or Montana cold winters and better quality forage. Then there is the corn belt and their desire for animals that convert corn to beef and produce animals that will most likely fail in less abundant calorie management scheme. The ideal type of cow is one who calves every year, no challenges and raises a acceptable calf at a profit under your management style.

The reason for cheers is I agree whole heartily with the quote.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 am

PatB wrote:
The same type of cow does not fit in everyones resource base. The cow genetics needed for the south with heat and fescue may be different than the one needed in Maine or Montana cold winters and better quality forage. Then there is the corn belt and their desire for animals that convert corn to beef and produce animals that will most likely fail in less abundant calorie management scheme. The ideal type of cow is one who calves every year, no challenges and raises a acceptable calf at a profit under your management style.

The reason for cheers is I agree whole heartily with the quote.

THE BEST TYPE OF COW FITS EVERYWHERE...try wrapping your genome around that today Pat Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I`ve long said the numbers change faster than the cattle at places that are in a hurry to stack numbers...I think this is so funny...

Quote :
Here is a cell phone photo of the Jackie Y159 that I took this evening. Look what her EPD profile did this week!
Schafer N5259 Jackie Y159 Reg: AAA 17044753

and what did the heifer do this week? not a damn thing...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 am

The same type of cow does not fit in everyones resource base.

the same type fits, but the stocking rate may be vastly different..

The cow genetics needed for the south with heat and fescue may be different than the one needed in Maine or Montana cold winters and better quality forage.
the brangus cow has some unique characteristics, but the best are Bonsma in type...

Then there is the corn belt and their desire for animals that convert corn to beef and produce animals that will most likely fail in less abundant calorie management scheme.

converting corn to beef is a terminal function

The ideal type of cow is one who calves every year, no challenges and raises a acceptable calf at a profit under your management style.

the ideal type is not determined by the one cow, but by the majority of cows...

The reason for cheers is I agree whole heartily with the quote

so little progress, too much time spent reading the Angus Journal as a source of information...been there, done that, moved on
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

I agree with Mike the most profitable cow that we have found to date is a bonsma type linebred cow that when crossed with a paternal exotic type will produce 75 free lbs without any more input. The reason I feel that the linebred cow is important is econimical. They are the only thing that we have found that renew themselves with any predictablity. It is also interesting that one cow has no value to me but a population will make us sustainable into the future, if we use multiple sires out of them back on them to not interfere with nature but live with it. Bob H
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genetic Evaluation....   

Back to top Go down

Genetic Evaluation....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3