Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A few fall dry country pics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

PostSubject: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Moved some of the home pasture cows into the fall pasture around and on the stubble and hay fields....

Haven't had any rain here since first of August and things are really dry...Lot the of dams and water holes are dry--- but whats nice about this north of the Milk country is we have lots of springs- that are still running good water....Some south of here are not so lucky are hauling water...
4 of the springs in the pasture...

A few odds and ends of calf pictures

W C R Katherines Lass 017X #16769667 with her first year bull calf...

This is the bull calf that has really caught my eye this year.. W C R Floret 749T # 15802668 and her son...Cow is turning into a nice cow...

A son of Cole Creek Juanada Rain 127W # 16453125

A son of W C R Celtic Beauty 013X # 16769947 ...

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Why waste your time putting up registration numbers OT?
nice calves...why did that one catch your eye?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:11 pm

I would choose the third mudhole as the best, nice soggy look yet with a firm bottom. I thought the second mudhole lacked growth and power, while the fourth had plenty of power, but was too coarse for my taste. I didn't bother looking at the cow pictures.

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Well Mike believe it or not- some folks still look at those numbers- especially on the other sites-- and I just copied an pasted after an earlier posting... Wink

As far as the calf-- his mother is- after a questionable early life of getting bred by the west neighbors charolais bull as a heifer (which to her credit she had on her own)- and then the next year having a calf sired by the south neighbors AMC carrier bull-- looking like a cow that will work out....I now have a handfull of the Florets that trace back maternally to a Cole Creek Shomere on the maternal side and Basin Max 104J- and as a group are doing an alright job...
And with the calf- I've liked his build since he was born as an 83 lber the 28th of March... Showing some good growth even on some dry conditions.... His mother is a good example of moderation across the board- now just curious to see who's his daddy....
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Tom D wrote:
I would choose the third mudhole as the best, nice soggy look yet with a firm bottom. I thought the second mudhole lacked growth and power, while the fourth had plenty of power, but was too coarse for my taste. I didn't bother looking at the cow pictures.

Actually that second spring altho not very big around has some fair depth-and you reach down in there and its ice cold- and the oldtimers said it was one of the coldest around to store their beer in....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Well cry me a river on the being dry! OT you have never seen dry. And if you cry again i will send you a box of dam kleenex to dry your eyes. Not too bad of cows but then cows are cows.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:00 am

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Well Mike believe it or not- some folks still look at those numbers- especially on the other sites-- and I just copied an pasted after an earlier posting... Wink

well, what pleases other sites is usually meaningless here; and so it appears is this...what numbers? epds? surely you aren`t referring to that helter-skelter , mish mesh of a pedigree that I just looked at...a little bit of everything from everywhere in the country

As far as the calf-- his mother is- after a questionable early life of getting bred by the west neighbors charolais bull as a heifer (which to her credit she had on her own)- and then the next year having a calf sired by the south neighbors AMC carrier bull

who gives a crap what her story of misfortunes were; did that make her better?

-- looking like a cow that will work out....I now have a handfull of the Florets that trace back maternally to a Cole Creek Shomere on the maternal side and Basin Max 104J- and as a group are doing an alright job...

trace back? tracing back very far means the influence of both bulls is negligible...judging from the names , and others experiences, that`s likely a good thing...

And with the calf- I've liked his build since he was born as an 83 lber the 28th of March...

you weigh calves at birth??? ...why?

Showing some good growth even on some dry conditions.... the pharo syndrome again; every registered breeder must pretend that his cattle hasn`t had anything to eat..if he grew OT; HE HAD SOMETHING TO EAT...

His mother is a good example of moderation across the board-
Oh, another case of proclaiming moderation while the outlier catches your eye?

now just curious to see who's his daddy....

would it matter? I guess so; when you have an assortment of bulls from everywhere...

yelp, df, the above is the answer to your question about how typical FOXX is of registered breeders...almost an exact replica...yeah OT, you got it right mouthing around at Advantage about us starting a new breed etc....it`s not a new breed of cattle, but a new breed of breeders that doesn`t jump through hoops just to please tradition...

Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision. Ayn Rand

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am

still shaking my head over this cow thing...after 250 years of breed improvement, the best we can do is-- looking like a cow that will work out..

why is it so difficult for everyone to determine a proper cow type to select/breed for?
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Probably 90% of the cows in this country that find their way to a sale barn this fall will find the next ride to the closest cow killer. Open heifers 1000-1100 pounds are likely to be worth more then those bred. I have talked to several guys that don't know where their cows are going to be spending the winter. I wonder how some of those $2000 heifers and $5000 bulls are going to pencil out by the pound?

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Angus 62 wrote:
Probably 90% of the cows in this country that find their way to a sale barn this fall will find the next ride to the closest cow killer. Open heifers 1000-1100 pounds are likely to be worth more then those bred. I have talked to several guys that don't know where their cows are going to be spending the winter. I wonder how some of those $2000 heifers and $5000 bulls are going to pencil out by the pound?

Yep-I wouldn't know tho as I never had any $2000 heifers or $5000 bulls on the place...
Good thing is that with the amount of fall/winter grazing left- and the extra straw we put up for feed this year- we should be able to keep from doing any drought culling until spring-- and then if we don't get winter/early spring moisture may have to cut back some...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few fall dry country pics   

Back to top Go down

A few fall dry country pics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1