Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

IBC Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
herefords.us

PostSubject: IBC Question   Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 pm

If you breed two totally unrelated animals, each with an IBC of 25%, what would the resulting IBC% of the progeny be?

George
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:41 pm

herefords.us wrote:
If you breed two totally unrelated animals, each with an IBC of 25%, what would the resulting IBC% of the progeny be?

George
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
herefords.us

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 pm

MKeeney wrote:
herefords.us wrote:

George

And if you then mated full sibs from such a mating, then the IBCs of that progeny would be 25%?

Edited to add: Sorry for the silly questions. I have always taken the AHA's mating predictor as gospel on matings, so I hadn't really studied how the IBC actually worked.

I'm an engineer by training and sometimes we can left math get in the way of logic. But the lightbulb finally came on!

George

Back to top Go down
herefords.us

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm

FWIW, I did some theoretical matings in the AHA mating predictor, the crossing of several linebred Hereford lines that have been more or less "closed" for quite a number of generations. The individuals that I used had IBCs from 18 to 34%. I was pretty consistently getting IBCs in the progeny of those crosses that ranged from 6-8%, so I'm guessing that is a pretty good baseline for the IBC that's "built in" to the Hereford breed in America, at least into the AHA mating predictor!

An interesting side note - generally it seems that there are more generations available in the database for the mating predictor on the horned cattle than the polled cattle.

Here was an article that I found on the subject as well:

http://jas.fass.org/content/83/5/992.full
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:03 pm

rummaging through some old web pages as I prepare for the new look Very Happy
rip little girl...your genes live on in identifiable fashion cheers

http://www.keeneyangus.net/1707.html
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 pm

The successful partner will be under 50 years of age with a long range commitment to cattle breeding and will have already developed a disdain for the "parasitic elements who debase the vital role of the profession of cattle breeder"

Only approved bulls from within the limited linebred genepool of 1707 will be used to generate Parent Stock for use in "pre-evaluated linecrossing systems to harness hybrid power to produce more from less" in the Production Stock as evidenced by the daughter of 1707 pictured to the right.

In the likely event that no such young person has an interest in a long-term breeding project, offers will be entertained from established breeders seeking either problem-free Production Stock or the continuation of the Parent Stock.

Inquiries should be made to Keeney Angus; telephone 606-636-6500.

It got me to make that first call. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Tom D wrote:
The successful partner will be under 50 years of age with a long range commitment to cattle breeding and will have already developed a disdain for the "parasitic elements who debase the vital role of the profession of cattle breeder"

Only approved bulls from within the limited linebred genepool of 1707 will be used to generate Parent Stock for use in "pre-evaluated linecrossing systems to harness hybrid power to produce more from less" in the Production Stock as evidenced by the daughter of 1707 pictured to the right.

In the likely event that no such young person has an interest in a long-term breeding project, offers will be entertained from established breeders seeking either problem-free Production Stock or the continuation of the Parent Stock.

one of my best written "ads" and most successful...not for finding money, but for finding potential tru-liners
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 am

Tom D wrote:

same here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IBC Question   

Back to top Go down

IBC Question
Page 1 of 1