Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Canada Gathering 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 pm

GF, fire up the grill let's do this thing!
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm

No!! No!! - that's heresy. The only way I'll cook my steaks is in a frying pan with some butter, salt and a little pepper. This flaming, burning, scorching crap is a waste of good beef.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
No!! No!! - that's heresy. The only way I'll cook my steaks is in a frying pan with some butter, salt and a little pepper. This flaming, burning, scorching crap is a waste of good beef.

AMEN-- while the rest of the family is cremating their pieces of meat- I like to let mine cook in a pan of real butter....
Nothing worse than trimming or burning all the good tasty fat off a steak...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 pm

I am with Chris Burn them steaks, nothing like a good dark char. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 am

W.T wrote:
I am with Chris Burn them steaks, nothing like a good dark char. Laughing Laughing

why dont you just take a old boot and boil it in butter then.

iffen it aint bleeding it aint worth eating.

Larkota like to eat pink meat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

You can cook steaks to pink with blood running out in a frying pan larkota if that is your preference. It's once they hit a BBQ the "old boot" reference often starts to come into play. Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Joe Dunkum is wanting to go work in a local higher quality kitchen/restaurant to experience their method of cooking the best of steak...can anyone save him with on-line instructions?
Hilly is getting some rooms blocked out with a view...best get your name in the pot for O Canada cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

larkota wrote:
W.T wrote:

why dont you just take a old boot and boil it in butter then.

iffen it aint bleeding it aint worth eating.

Larkota like to eat pink meat. Very Happy

We can accomadate! The butter steak also. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 pm

No rooms in Hanna. Big transmission line project, all rooms booked for a year and a half at the only decent hotel in Hanna. Don't know if I would be so brave or so stupid as to recommend the hotel or motel in Coronation. Drumheller, home of the world class dinosaur musem seems the most logical as it is on the way back to Calgay. There are 5 good hotels in Drumheller. That being said it is a long weekend and the Royal Tyrell Museum ( wild color for the link Mike) is a world class attraction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:19 pm

W.T two going to canada . And i still like the steaks black on both sides and red in the center, The advantages of a dam hot fire. 30 sec on both sides.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:20 am

Was driving through the crazy place we call Calgary today and I thought some of the visitors coming this summer might be interested in a little background.
In 1874 the North West Mounted Police, led by Colonel James F. Macleod rode into the country to establish some control over the disruptive and unlawful practices of American whiskey traders trading deadly "firewater" for buffalo robes, wolf skins, and other items of value. The first outpost established was named Fort MacCleod and a year later he moved on to establish Fort Calgary at the confluence of the Elbow and the Bow river. The settlement is said to have been named after Calgary on the island of Mull in Scotland where MacCleod's family came from. It still goes by the title "cowtown" although most of the current residents would be mighty upset to see a cow loose in their metropolis.
The settlement grew quickly to 98,000 population by 1945. The real boom has been since the the big oil discoveries triggered by the Leduc strike in 1947 that changed Alberta's economy for ever. The 2012 population was reported as 1.1 million! The speed of development is just insane, houses nearly touching each other as far as the eye can see in every direction. I drove today from the northern city limits to pretty close to the southern outskirts and clocked fully 25 miles. It looks from the distance like some 3rd world shanty town reaching to the horizon except they are $500,000 homes. I guess it's about as far as you can get from Bob H's Jordan Valley, Oregon.
The good news for visitors flying in is that the airport is close to the northern outskirts so 10 minutes driving leaves all the craziness behind Smile

I took some pictures while driving but I guess this guy in a plane had a better view of downtown at least.

Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Mike the rooms I booked don’t have a great view just a good location... For the view I managed to get a good group rate for the Flyboarding Cool

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

The last words of many a Canadian "Hold my beer and watch this"... Wink
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 pm

now worried about a room with a view; we `ll find a view...I`m already working on Drumheller...going to the museum on Sunday...I hope we get a few commercial producers to attend!
don`t forget; gotta have passports Exclamation {no, I don`t have mine yet Neutral }
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

Met two new people today; Hopson, and wife Kathlynn ...and what a delight to hear how their story and objectives match the consensus here...can`t wait for you guys to meet them in O Canada...they know Montana far better than I; and had been looking for a reason to visit Canada...no better reason than talking cattle breeding with birds of a feather cheers
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Met two new people today; Hopson, and wife Kathlynn ...and what a delight to hear how their story and objectives match the consensus here...can`t wait for you guys to meet them in O Canada...they know Montana far better than I; and had been looking for a reason to visit Canada...no better reason than talking cattle breeding with birds of a feather cheers

Excellent!
Passports...... will be needed and as I forgot to mention to W.T you will be asked to sing God Save the Queen before being allowed entry. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Excellent!
Passports...... will be needed and as I forgot to mention to W.T you will be asked to sing God Save the Queen before being allowed entry. Smile

And i thought Chris would bring his dad and we could all have a sing along. And sing O Canada where art thou. cheers cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3S89jFDIkA
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 am

I’m a few weeks late getting my hotel information posted but anyway I looked into group rates in both Sylvan Lake and Red Deer which is about 20min east of Sylvan and found there was little deference in price. All 6 hotels were a few dollars either side of $130 + tax (9%).

Not cheap I realize and all relatively new hotels, I know there are some cheaper options available and can look into those for people if they want to let me know.

I ended up going with a KC group booking at the Best Western Plus Chateau Inn that is right on Lakeshore Drive and within a few hundred yards of the Wild Rapids waterslide, Sylvan Lake Golf and Country Club, Go-Carts, Min-Golf, beach, the BIG MOO, MORE BIG MOO Smile and a little over a mile from the farm. Here is a short video that shows a little of the town for those interested. http://youtu.be/ba_eFwcOdPM

Because of the location in the summer rooms are expensive and little incentive for group rates, I was surprised that there was a decent discount if I saved them paper work and paid everything on one bill. That brought the rooms down in line with the rest of the hotels I had looked at. Unfortunately I don’t take plastic so that leaves cash and possibly checks.

I had a hard time getting enough rooms already, the sooner people can confirm with me the better so I can add or drop as needed. I booked 2 nights August 1st and 2nd checking out on the third, but I can add nights to individual rooms on either side to suit different travel plans based on availability.

Just PM or call me 403-588-7001 for more details, bookings or questions.

Thanks.

Craig
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am

Fares are starting to go up, so get your tickets soon. I bought mine last night, and was still able to get them for $450, for wednesday to wednesday, but prices are moving up. Some of the other dates have moved up to $550 or $600, they were $450 a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 am

Tom D wrote:
for wednesday to wednesday
Shocked you are serious about tracking down that last bull of mine eh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Tom D wrote:

grassy, TomD needs to hand pick, the rest of us are happy with group average. lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

larkota wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
Tom D wrote:

grassy, TomD needs to hand pick, the rest of us are happy with group average. lol!

Iain, I am not satisfied with the 3 1/2 hours that I have been allotted; it takes me 3 days just to figure out what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:17 am

I have even greater anticipation after seeing the links {not internet links Smile } in the video...because almost in a weeks time, my tennis elbow has healed...only thing I`ve done different; I`ve been eating more Wagyu/Angus beef and drinking more Reisling, late harvested grapes, wine...I`m guessing there`s a symbiotic relationship involved there that cures about anything Smile
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:32 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I have even greater anticipation after seeing the links {not internet links Smile } in the video...because almost in a weeks time, my tennis elbow has healed...only thing I`ve done different; I`ve been eating more Wagyu/Angus beef and drinking more Reisling, late harvested grapes, wine...I`m guessing there`s a symbiotic relationship involved there that cures about anything Smile

Nothing like good food and drink to heal what ails us! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Yes Mike Wine will cure Tennis Elbow. But then enough wine will cure most pain. Laughing The next time you go to Larkota's have him trade for some of that Strawberry wine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   

Back to top Go down

O Canada Gathering 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next