Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Canada Gathering 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:22 pm

some mighty old and big footprints to measure up too...

Tyrannosaurus Rex
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 pm

or was it a foot print by Big Bird before he got defunded?

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:23 pm

I immediately recognized familiar cattle breeding and Gathering potential in Hobson and Kathlynn a half-hour into our first conversation back before the spring bull sale...

of course, an additional factor while in Hobson`s company, is one of feeling more secure Very Happy 

while Linda and I have gleefully adopted "eh" and "for sure" into our vocabulary; likewise, we have adopted Hobson`s favorite phrase..."It`s all good "
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Hilman's - Sylvan Lake

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:23 pm

More from Hilly's

Mike was concerned that we wouldn't have enough people in the pictures, so Craig and I got some mannequins from a store in town and strategically placed them around the pasture to make it look like we had greater numbers.  However, the mannequins were very light and kept blowing over, so we weighted them down with giant boots and propped them up with sticks.

Dylan Biggs and Dr. Church

I've entitled this one "Talkin' Bout Jim".  (They weren't)

Mike trying to pick out the BEST charolais heifer.

Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 pm

I have to stop visiting this thread. Its just too depressing seeing what I missed out on by not making the trip. Next year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 am

LCP wrote:
I have to stop visiting this thread.  Its just too depressing seeing what I missed out on by not making the trip.  Next year.
I am with you LUKE. They just keep rubbing it in. Seeing Tom a Craig racing with there boys was almost too much. But just wait until Dylan and Grassy post some pics we will feel the pain with each new twist of the fork. W.T Thinkin Luke has a point. affraid affraid  
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Tom D wrote:
Hilman's - Sylvan Lake

Excellent, thank you TD!
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

W.T wrote:
LCP wrote:
I have to stop visiting this thread.  Its just too depressing seeing what I missed out on by not making the trip.  Next year.
I am with you LUKE. They just keep rubbing it in. Seeing Tom a Craig racing with there boys was almost too much. But just wait until Dylan and Grassy post some pics we will feel the pain with each new twist of the fork. W.T Thinkin Luke has a point. affraid affraid  
WT, I took not one pic, so you can't blame me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:

WT, I took not one pic, so you can't blame me. Smile
I only took 6 pictures at Dylans so you can't blame me either. DoubleUBar (Glenn) took quite a few the first day but I haven't had the time to upload them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 pm

more pics in due time...
Dylan,
since you have used no insecticides for flies for some years , have you noticed any significant increase in natural resistant to flies?
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Mike, no I haven't.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Because of the tremendous number of variables drawing any causal conclusions based on anecdotal observations of fluctuations in fly numbers and densities would be pointless.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Grassfarmer's Grass Farm

Luke and W.T, this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you, but it's for your own good.  It's called tough love.  TD

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Well Tom I knew I could count on you. Evil or Very Mad But the first thing is FINALLY cows that have the RIGHT color RED cheers cheers  Then I have never seen grass that color before. ( Is it not always brown). That Killer red cow must have been chasing mike down for that rubbing.affraid I see you did at least get one picture of a cow pie before Briann got to it. He usually get's down and plays with them like a kid in a sand box.Razz Razz  Luke they are twisting so we better be strong for a day or two. W.T Thinkin that is way more green than a man should see in one day.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 am

Tom D wrote:

No wonder she was licking his boots, I well remember this cow being featured in a previous post of mine and Mike was complementing her for being just as nice a cow as you need or something to that effect Smile 

WT we are still green because again we haven't really had a lot of heat this year and we have had just shy of 10 inches of rain since the snow went. A decent growing year but not as good as last year.

Thanks for the pictures Tom they look representative of my cattle and place. WT we are still green
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

I was sure impressed with Iain`s program...knows where to start, with grass Smile and says grass management is the key component of his delicious beef...
throw is this post from Dylan about flies

Because of the tremendous number of variables drawing any causal conclusions based on anecdotal observations of fluctuations in fly numbers and densities would be pointless.

and I ask "why is common sense truth in the cattle breeding paradigm so refreshing to me ?"
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 am

oh, and Iain`s cows were a shocker for me...much heavier and more frame than I had expected from past pictures...
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am

Mike the capacity in the picture above is apparent also.......referring to the cow. Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Mike the capacity in the picture above is apparent also.......referring to the cow. Smile
Dylan,
another reason to study stress and  addiction with Sapolsky...not referring to the cow Rolling Eyes Smile
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 am

MKeeney wrote:
oh, and Iain`s cows were a shocker for me...much heavier and more frame than I had expected from past pictures...
And that was maybe the biggest shocker of the visit for me - that people thought my cattle were so big. I know they weigh heavier than a lot of your southern cattle but I don't consider most of them to be large framed. As I was telling some people my Luings would be about unsaleable in Scotland on account of being of "too small and old fashioned". My neighbours here are generally running 1700lb + cows so I reckon mine are quite small in comparison.
When the summer conditions are so good its tough to hold the mature weights down although you'd maybe notice my cows were by no means fat - they have a volume of grass in front of them but the quality is not that high on account of maturity. I really noticed how much better condition Dylan's cows were in out in that hard grass country.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 am

the cattle are plenty good enough, but it`s the people and places I will longer remember... Fortunately for me, Kristina is often distracted from the cattle conversation...

I sit in the shade of the trees of the land I was born in. As they are native I am native, and I hold to this place as carefully as they hold to it. I do not see the national flag flying from the staff of the sycamore, or any decree of the government written on the leaves of the walnut, nor has the elm bowed before any monuments or sworn the oath of allegiance. They have not declared to whom they stand in welcome.
Berry

Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 pm

MKeeney wrote:
the cattle are plenty good enough, but it`s the people and places I will longer remember... Fortunately for me, Kristina is often distracted from the cattle conversation...

I sit in the shade of the trees of the land I was born in. As they are native I am native, and I hold to this place as carefully as they hold to it. I do not see the national flag flying from the staff of the sycamore, or any decree of the government written on the leaves of the walnut, nor has the elm bowed before any monuments or sworn the oath of allegiance. They have not declared to whom they stand in welcome.
Berry

Excellent Berry poem Mike!! Thank you TD and Kristina and Mike for the pics. Love the sweet clover western doc pic!!! Tom if it took you as long to post pics as it does me.....thank you. Iain mentions shockers as does Mike and it is interesting to reconcile or not what is seen in the flesh with what is portrayed in pics. I was very impressed with Iains cows in uniformity and type, big bodied, big muzzled robust cattle of medium frame, definately bigger then what I had expected from seeing pics. It is also interesting that Iain percieved my cattle in better condition then his, I didn't see that. Perception? Observation?

And for Mike! The sweetheart that stole his heart! Smile

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I thought Iain`s cows had a bit more "fleshing ease"...or was it just about the best grass I ever saw; living up to the nick Grassfarmer Smile 

Dylan, I`m with Wendell...I want to build bridges instead of borders to those I feel a kinship with...

and for those who aren`t clear on the differences between maternal and paternal...

here`s maternal Smile 

paternal/terminal can take many shapes...but not the sweethearts Smile
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Where is all this flesh on my cows - I don't see it Smile  This one is certainly towards the leaner end of the spectrum but this is my cows with the 2 best months of the year behind them - June and July. From here on in it's declining quality all the way, albeit they get a boost in body condition with declining milk production.

Maybe it is just perception and even seeing someone else's cows in the flesh is only a snapshot in time. I just thought Dylan's cows were carrying more flesh than mine, certainly more than I expected for what is notoriously tough country although I realize it's benefitting from a few years of cumulative abundance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   

Back to top Go down

O Canada Gathering 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next