Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Canada Gathering 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 am

I'm anxious to visit with Grassy on how he promotes a minor breed; for our philosophy is a minor one as well...spend less to make more has never been the thrust of the registered business...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:45 am

Shouldn't be a long visit Mike for I have no outstanding insight or marketing strategy Smile  Just painfully slowly and amateurishly though a couple of newsletters and a website, treating potential customers as individuals and as I'd like to be treated myself, truthfully explaining the strengths and weaknesses of our breed and pricing the cattle commercially as many of you on KC do. Looking forward to the visit and the visiting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
rross

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Shouldn't be a long visit Mike for I have no outstanding insight or marketing strategy Smile  Just painfully slowly and amateurishly though a couple of newsletters and a website, treating potential customers as individuals and as I'd like to be treated myself, truthfully explaining the strengths and weaknesses of our breed and pricing the cattle commercially as many of you on KC do. Looking forward to the visit and the visiting.

With that philosphy Grassfarmer, it is no wonder you are such good contributor to Keeney's Corner.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 am

rross wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:

With that philosphy Grassfarmer, it is no wonder you are such good contributoringfor to Keeney's Corner.

Rod,
Wish you were here; this probably about as tired a post as I have made in a while...too much laughter, too many varied discussions, and with just my one beer limit tonight...what a group of folks...looking forward to tomorrow, a couple more on the way from the states...
Banff was so pretty I would have stayed a couple more days...and then left only because I was out of money Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 am

Dylan Iain and Craig I apologize for not making your gathering. As I know all the work and trouble you have gone too to arrange all of this. things have been a little crazy here since may 1 st and we just couldnt figure everything out to get there. W.T Thinkin I missed out on learning a bunch. And meeting some damn fine people.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:05 am

W.T wrote:
W.T Thinkin I missed out on learning a bunch. And meeting some damn fine people.

I'm sure you are right- probably very educational...

Here's an e-mail a Canadian friend sent me today.. Probably should have been pre-trip required watching:
www.safeshare.tv/w/PKYPTOarUx

Wink Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 am

Oldtimer wrote:
W.T wrote:
W.T Thinkin I missed out on learning a bunch. And meeting some damn fine people.

Here's an e-mail a Canadian friend sent me today.. Probably should have been pre-trip required watching:

Wink Razz Laughing

Isolate 10 of your favorite females and always breed them back to themselves...as long as you can, at least.... and there'll be nothing we do or say here that will be as educational....there's no schooling like home schooling cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
W.T wrote:

Wink Razz Laughing

Isolate 10 of your favorite females and always breed them back to themselves...as long as you can, at least.... and there'll be nothing we do or say here that will be as educational....there's no schooling like home schooling cheers 

And I cry BS Mike. as I was there last yr and have lots of thoughts still fresh in my mind from the fine people that were there. One wise man told me it didn't get broke in one yr and you can't fix it in one, and Boy was he right. W.T Thinkin just being with wise people has a way of rubbing off. At least a little bit.Idea Idea 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 am

I might be in the mood to agree with you after day 1 of O Canada, WT...I rubbed shoulders with folks today wiser and more experienced than myself is so many ways...and not a condescending word in their conversation; people at ease with everyone, old and new friends alike...
The core strengthens....cheers 
Pictures in a few days...the breeding programs appear to me to be in the process of finessing the base, what a contrast to motion, commotion, and promotion....

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:29 am

I'm really glad that Dr. Church can add having attended the O Canada Gathering to his accumulating biography Very Happy of the past twenty years beyond what is noted below...

http://www.lieutenantgovernor.ab.ca/aoe/agriculture/robert-church/index.html

What a treat for everyone to hear this man's worldwide experiences across so many varied endeavors first hand in private conversations...Kristina was so impressed with all the questions he had for her about the state of teaching and the public schools in the USA...
Impressive  as his vast knowledge was, once again, it was the human qualities and down to earth personality that will make meeting this gentleman so memorable....cheers
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks from all of us to our hosts...the entire Hilman, Aitken, and Biggs families and their friends who put on an unequaled display of hospitality for us, their guests...two long, hard days, but lots of smiling faces on tired bodies tonight...
The visuals reinforce our direction as logical, doable, and economically sound...perseverance is the key ingredient now, the weakest trait in all breeding programs always seems to be a human trait...on we go cheers 

Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

Thank you Mike and the whole crew for traveling all this way! Cattle bringing people together from such distances simply for the sake of sharing not as promotion or commotion or the quest for the latest, greatest freak, simply honest sharing is really quite something.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Thank you Mike and the whole crew for traveling all this way! Cattle bringing people together from such distances simply for the sake of sharing not as promotion or commotion or the quest for the latest, greatest freak, simply honest sharing is really quite something.

Instead of trying to mimic my ole buddy of past gatherings, why didn't I describe our three Canadian hosts in these words that fit them so well....

* '''I am speaking of the life of a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children; who has undertaken to cherish it and do it no damage, not because he is duty-bound, but because he loves the world and loves his children'''; whose work serves the earth he lives on and from and with, and is therefore pleasurable and meaningful and unending; whose rewards are not deferred until  "retirement," but arrive daily and seasonally out of the details of the life of their place; '''whose goal is the continuance of the life of the world, which for a while animates and contains them, and which they know they can never compass with their understanding or desire.'''

Oh that's right, I guess because I'm no Wendell Berry Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:

Instead of trying to mimic my ole buddy of past gatherings, why didn't I describe our three Canadian hosts in these words that fit them so well....

* '''I am speaking of the life of a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children; who has undertaken to cherish it and do it no damage, not because he is duty-bound, but because he loves the world and loves his children'''; whose work serves the earth he lives on and from and with, and is therefore pleasurable and meaningful and unending; whose rewards are not deferred until  "retirement," but arrive daily and seasonally out of the details of the life of their place; '''whose goal is the continuance of the life of the world, which for a while animates and contains them, and which they know they can never compass with their understanding or desire.'''

. Thank you Mike. How was the museum?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Befitting a meeting of cattle breeders that I thought was "out of this world" the cow in the background thought she should practice jumping the moon egged on by her friend that PatB would ship for bawling.

Dylan's attempts to fly looked less convincing

Studying
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Iain, I was just warming up for take off!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:

.  Thank you Mike. How was the museum?

The museum reinforced dramatically what I already believe, and even what Wendell says above...we humans as individuals are totally meaningless to the continuity of the earth...as a group though, we can hasten our own extinction...
 Went to the Heritage Park today...very professionally and aesthetically  done  ; I feel so Canadian now that I am thinking about applying for summer citizenship...kind of like the summer soldier Tom Paine spoke of...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 am

After leaving Drumheller we made our way to Havre. Our hotel was right by the rail yard, so we heard engines being filled and cars being changed all night.

Monday morning we made our way to John Nyquest's place. Grass looks great. Cows aren't as bad as he thinks. Beautiful rain. Wished I had his new JD tractor hidden in the weeds!

Tuesday at Watford was our next stay. imo oil has ruined this area for those with no mineral rights. The traffic is unbelievable.  So many milk tanks, building so fast but can't keep up with the landscaping. Labor camps thrown together everywhere. On a better note, we journeyed to Medora and T. Roosevelt National Park. The ladies would love Medora... 25+ little shops. 18 restaurants, Cowboy Hall of Fame, and amazing scenery throughout the parks. Lisa and I suggest that we all meet there sometime. Hotels fill up fast. We learned the hard way! Paid $50 for a room reservation at Dickenson as a last resort, and then ended up driving back 20 miles to Belfield to get a slightly better room for $90! Slightly is the key word here!

Wednesday we plan on stopping in Reva, SD at Austin Risty's to see his hay, black cows, and family. Later we will stay with our daughter in Spearfish. The bikers will be everywhere, as the Sturgis Rally is happening. Should be home by Thursday afternoon. Since we left, have had over 2.5 inches of rain at home. Leave home more often maybe?

Larkota and the wife

PS: We want to thank Mike for planning this get together. It's not an easy job to make that many people happy and keep everyone together and events running so smoothly. Good job! Lisa thanks Mark for chauffeuring her and the other gals to the mall, and also thanks Linda and Christina for great shopping and all the laughing. Thank you Craig, Iain, and Dylan for the hospitality, great food, and conversation.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 am

good to be sitting home in front of my regular screen tonight;;;well, 12:51 am, so I guess it`s morning...with the first blast of humidity in 8 days when I stepped out of the plane I knew I was back in KY...but, there were no mosquitos or big black flies eating me alive Exclamation Smile 
I said cattle breeders would be remembered for their human qualities longer than for the cattle they created, and so it will be with these Gatherings...as Linda drove home, I had the first of thoughts that may follow along with pictures for some time on this thread...Craig Hilman`s metamorphous into a social butterfly Smile  , a young father having a quiet discussion with his 2 1/2 year old son about how sand stays in the sandbox Smile , Colleen Biggs reading a letter her great grandmother wrote about her early life in a Canadian settler family, Dylan`s quiet manners with his dogs, Iain leaning on the shepherd`s crook with no sheep to be seen; telling his story with me both understanding and enjoying the Scottish heritage, and my new clock that will be on the wall by my computer...thanks again to our hosts, and for me personally in a different way, the most meaningful gathering yet...
I`m just blown away by the people who came; some coming out of their cocoons third time around, some newbies that in a day`s time, it seemed liked we all had known them for ages...
and Linda had time to get to meet and enjoy the wives ; the shopping trip to Edmonton, the afternoon at Dylan`s with Colleen and Maria...
on we go, the core and the concept hardens like a fossilized tree in Drumheller; except this one is bearing fruit...cheers 

Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I also would like to thank everyone that took the time and made the financial commitment to travel all this way and include a visit to our small bit of the world, I’m still amazed that many people made the trip.

I hope that it was worth the investment as the ”Alberta Advantage” tends to make visiting more expensive here then many destinations.

Great to catch up with old friends and meet new ones... my boys sure miss their new friends already.

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:40 pm

My time since you left for Drumheller has been beset by the frustration of mechanical difficulties in the hay field but I'd be remiss not to also thank all the visitors for their contribution to creating a memorable weekend. I'm particularly pleased that you got to visit with my friend Bob Church and I know he was just tickled to meet you all and find out where you came from and to share stories. When I met Bob first it was one of the turning points of my life that helped me decide to move to Canada. Meeting in with this group of people at KC, but particularly doing so on the deck at LL's at Red Lodge was another milestone along life's path. We maybe are on "the road less travelled" but I sure like the company on the journey. Very Happy 

P.S. For any of you folks who travelled to the mountains and didn't see any bears I think this is where they were:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 pm

loved re-reading your article in the Luing Journal slick print Iain...
no, my desk hasn`t changed from the wretched mess it usually is, but my wall is prettier Smile 

never content, I am want something like a little tie clasp Luing bull model for the lower left corner, and I will find the equal in a tiny golf club for the other corner...then the circle will be complete cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 am

Well, we're back home safe and sound and still sorting through the pictures to post, but I wanted to take a minute to say what a great time we had and to thank my new friends the Sleemans, the Rickards, Innis & Gunn, and Alexander Keith for their hospitality.

TD
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 am

foundation material

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Hopefully those two will develop the patience to be successful cattle breeders, cause it looks like their dads and little brothers still have the need for speed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   

Back to top Go down

O Canada Gathering 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next