Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Canada Gathering 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 am

I was reluctant to post this right on the heels of concluding the 2012 Gathering...but Hilly tells me that between passports and lodging in his area, the planning needs to start now...we would visit Grassfarmer, Hilly, and Dylan...so much to see and learn beyond cattle breeding...farming, grass utilization, wintering, direct marketing...as we spread our basic breeding concepts...

if you think this trip to Calgary and surrounding area the last weekend of July or first weekend of August 2013 is something you are interested in doing, please add your name to the list...

mkeeney...4

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:03 am

Ben Loyning 2-4
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:18 am

Pat Bates 1-3
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 am

Tom Dykstra 1 or 4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 am

Jack 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am

Yes, 5 ish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am

Wayne Nebeker 1or3
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:42 am

John Nyquist-1-....yelp, I checked out a little early and went up to Bainville/John`s from Jack`s ...beautiful country, and lots of oil barons pending...
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:40 am

The farm yard has never looked as chaotic as it did yesterday when I realized we were not going to convince Mike to put this off to 2014. Embarassed

If people are bringing family and they aren’t into farm tours Sylvan Lake has the waterslide http://www.wildrapids.ab.ca/ , beach, golf, mini golf, Go Karts, playgrounds, lake front restaurants and patios, jet ski and other lake toy rentals, all within very short walking distance from most hotels and 2 miles from the farm.

The big drawback is the sheer number of people on hot days, campsites and hotels can be a challenge to find that time of year and I’ll see what I can find for group rates.

At the farm we would have 4 places you could park motor homes and campers with 50 Amp power, water and the septic dump is about 3 miles away.

I realize it seems ridiculous to be planning a year early but we host church services that time of year every 4 years and it can be challenging, the other option of course is to just avoid this area and stay in the city of Red Deer that is only 15-20 minutes away.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Hilly wrote:
The farm yard has never looked as chaotic as it did yesterday when I realized we were not going to convince Mike to put this off to 2014. Embarassed

If people are bringing family and they aren’t into farm tours Sylvan Lake has the waterslide http://www.wildrapids.ab.ca/ , beach, golf, mini golf, Go Karts, playgrounds, lake front restaurants and patios, jet ski and other lake toy rentals, all within very short walking distance from most hotels and 2 miles from the farm.

The big drawback is the sheer number of people on hot days, campsites and hotels can be a challenge to find that time of year and I’ll see what I can find for group rates.

At the farm we would have 4 places you could park motor homes and campers with 50 Amp power, water and the septic dump is about 3 miles away.

I realize it seems ridiculous to be planning a year early but we host church services that time of year every 4 years and it can be challenging, the other option of course is to just avoid this area and stay in the city of Red Deer that is only 15-20 minutes away.

At least we are getting plenty notice so the cleanup can begin in earnest Embarassed I'm happy to welcome one and all - and as long as you don't set your expectations too high you won't be disappointed Smile
Depending what we finish up with for a schedule there is also the option of accommodation in Rimbey which is only 12 miles from my place. They have built a Super 8 and Best Western in recent years and have way more capacity that our little town ever needs. Best Western has 60 rooms and I guess the other one is smaller. Can't compete with Sylvan for daytime attractions but it's only 30 minutes away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:28 pm

How far away is Banf? If I convince family to go it will need to be a week long vacation and Banf is on the bucket list. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Vance family = 6. Josh graduates from high school this year, so we won't have to work around football 2-a-days in early August next year. I brought up going to Canada next summer and immediately had 5 requests to make reservations. Similar to Pat, I am looking forward to the meeting and will probably spend additional time in Canada on vacation. Is there any fishing nearby and/or other family activities to do? I have only been to Canada once and that was years ago at Chateau Montebello for another cattle meeting ironically. Thanks for planning ahead this early!
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Banff is about an hour west of Calgary and we are an hour and 20 minutes north of Calgary. But the loop through the mountains is recommended and if arriving in Calgary it takes you past Banff and Lake Louise and then you come back out right at Sylvan Lake or Rimbey.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Calgary,+AB&daddr=Banff,+AB+to:Lake+Louise,+AB+to:Rocky+Mountain+House,+AB+to:Sylvan+Lake,+AB&hl=en&ll=51.896834,-115.455322&spn=3.382991,7.020264&sll=51.77075,-115.40043&sspn=1.696167,3.510132&geocode=FfniCgMdS6Az-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg%3BFXvrDAMdr4cc-Sn9SgyRRcpwUzFjlKzavq6vyg%3BFT-PEAMdCrsS-SkRzuGgKF13UzHmvGVjezw3PA%3BFc8-HwMdcHwm-SnTo9VoLNl1UzFyOtxZ94CJhA%3BFaQmHgMdtQAz-SmFBCRuwbJ1UzFWx2imwp70Pg&oq=Sylvan+Lake&mra=ls&t=h&z=7

There are plenty of fishing and other activities that are more off the beaten path that we can post or send PM and I’ll let Grassy and Dylan speak for their areas and expertise.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:42 pm

The closet world class attraction to Spondin is the Royal Tyrrell Museum at Drumheller about an hour and a half from us. It is a paleontology museum that attracts visitors from all over the world year round. For those interested in fossils and dinosaurs it is well worth the visit.
Royal Tyrrell Museum

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
The closet world class attraction to Spondin is the Royal Tyrrell Museum at Drumheller about an hour and a half from us. It is a paleontology museum that attracts visitors from all over the world year round. For those interested in fossils and dinosaurs it is well worth the visit.
Royal Tyrrell Museum

Maybe somewhere to ponder the dinosaur nature of the conventional seed stock segment of the cattle industry Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
evergreen

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Bruce Johnson 1-3
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:
Royal Tyrrell Museum

Maybe somewhere to ponder the dinosaur nature of the conventional seed stock segment of the cattle industry Smile

Very Happy

I am about worn out pondering that topic.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 am

MKeeney wrote:
I was reluctant to post this right on the heels of concluding the 2012 Gathering...but Hilly tells me that between passports and lodging in his area, the planning needs to start now...we would visit Grassfarmer, Hilly, and Dylan...so much to see and learn beyond cattle breeding...farming, grass utilization, wintering, direct marketing...as we spread our basic breeding concepts...

if you think this trip to Calgary and surrounding area the last weekend of July or first weekend of August 2013 is something you are interested in doing, please add your name to the list...

mkeeney...4

Please post dates when all host agree on the date. It has been my experience that plane tickets booked month's in advance are far cheaper then those bought just before traveling. The longer I give the wife to plan the vacation the happier she will be. Is there any day activities around Red Deer or Sylvan Lake the closest entertainment for a 7 yr old kid?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 am

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:
Royal Tyrrell Museum

Very Happy

I am about worn out pondering that topic.
we`ll know the conventional seed stock industry is near extinction when Tom Burke starts using a recent picture in his ads..."recent" would be anything in the last 20 years Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 am

Tom D wrote:
Tom Dykstra 1 or 4

Make that a definite 4.
Back to top Go down
RedBulls

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Put us down for 4. The wife and kids are getting passports.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yydurhamcattle.com
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Dellinger 1 or 2
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Have we decided on the final dates for the Canada trip?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 am

R V wrote:

built around the weekend of Aug 3....
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:18 pm

MKeeney wrote:
R V wrote:

built around the weekend of Aug 3....

Thanks Mike!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Canada Gathering 2013   

Back to top Go down

O Canada Gathering 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next