Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

what true line means to you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
larkota

PostSubject: what true line means to you?   Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 pm

anybody care to tell us all what you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I think a topic of this nature should have been led off with your own opinion, instead of a big ol' pile of chicken speck. But that is just me.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Bootheel wrote:
I think a topic of this nature should have been led off with your own opinion, instead of a big ol' pile of chicken speck. But that is just me.

joe, does he have a string attached to that grain of corn? I`ll have a go anyway...

to me, tru-line means a population that passes to succeeding generations certain characteristics more reliably...maybe even use the phrase most reliably relative to what exists today in cattle breeding...

now answer up Joe and let`s have fun... I believe we can shake Briann`s confidence in any trap he might have set for us Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Tru-line means I can take pride in being different from the herd. It means that I need to have something different and distict in order for it to work, in order for it to have complimentarity. It means I can do what I think works best for me and hopefully others appreciate it as well, oh well if they don't. It means with the right paternal strains in order we can make a much more consistent end product for whatever direction is working best for us at that moment. It means flexibility from year to year and from an end product standpoint. It means consistency from year to year from the maternal standpoint. It means we work together in a mutually beneficial manner. It means freedom from breed associations and predatory marketeers. It means a bunch of rugged INDIVIDAULISTS standing together pecking away at all of the falsehoods that are shoved down our throats. In the end it means happiness is gained from learning to do with "enough" rather than the most.

Ben, In the vicinity of the beginnings of true happiness.

Last edited by Ben Loyning on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Truline to me simply means...crossing pure lines for a specific commercial purpose either maternal or paternal. The 800 Ilb gorilla in the corner happens to be...how pure does one dare to go Shocked ...especially with the maternal units.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am

MVCatt wrote:
Truline to me simply means...crossing pure lines for a specific commercial purpose either maternal or paternal. The 800 Ilb gorilla in the corner happens to be...how pure does one dare to go Shocked ...especially with the maternal units.

So Just how far do you dare go before you change the 800lb gorilla into a 50 lb spider monkey??????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:50 am

It means sticking to a program maternally while allowing human nature enough choices on the end product side to keep it satisfied. It means that if there is complimentarity that the result of human natures curiosity will be satisfactory. It means human nature is what it is and it always will be that way. It means what is is. It means if the desire to be "bigger and better" is there, options are available to satisfy that in the form of seedless fruit. It means when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Ben, In the vicinity of wondering just how tough we could get.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:20 am

truline, a program, would also mean to me the best opportunity to compete with these myth makers that we continue to expose at mythbusters..."divest the industry of parasitic elements" rather than "feed an industry of parasites"

what parasitic middlemen are needed between a parent stock breeder and a commercial cattleman?
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am

Ben Loyning wrote:
It means sticking to a program maternally while allowing human nature enough choices on the end product side to keep it satisfied. It means that if there is complimentarity that the result of human natures curiosity will be satisfactory. It means human nature is what it is and it always will be that way. It means what is is. It means if the desire to be "bigger and better" is there, options are available to satisfy that in the form of seedless fruit. It means when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Ben, In the vicinity of wondering just how tough we could get.

Brilliant insight, Ben. I hadn't thought of it quite that way before, but your post makes perfect sense. You nailed it.

TD, freshly caffeinated and armed with something new to think about.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:50 am

tru-line effects...
though they are 2500 miles apart in environment, can you pick out the heifer that doesn`t fit based on her characteristics...

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 am

MKeeney wrote:
truline, a program, would also mean to me the best opportunity to compete with these myth makers that we continue to expose at mythbusters..."divest the industry of parasitic elements" rather than "feed an industry of parasites"

what parasitic middlemen are needed between a parent stock breeder and a commercial cattleman?

If you want to erradicate something, destroy its habitat. Take away the space between the parent stock breeder and the commercial cattle producer. Make them the same person. The seedstock industry is ten times as big as it needs to be. Keep the real breeders as genetic sources, and replace all the registered multipliers and crafty crossers with commercial cattle producers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 am

It means looking beyond our own little world at something grander, all the while keeping as tight of a grip on what we have at home as we can. It means what matters are results, not how we got them, just that they are what they are. It means we do our thing and we don't let anyone else know exactly what that is. It means a chance for ours to be ahead in the future when this type of system will be in place, whether it is our Tru-line or not. It means that the show ring is obsolete. It means that the show ring always was obsolete. It means sorting people and breeding cattle.

Ben, Just warming up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

It means truth. It means arming ourselves with knowlege to support the truth. It means pride in ourselves and pride in our product. It means self reliance within while working closely with others outside.

Ben
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

sorry Joe for not starting with my definition. was not done to piss you off but to see what direction this would go. I'm not much of a thinker and my writing skills sucks so now you will have to just be happy with what I put up.

True-Line.....Development of parent stock that can REGULARLY produce beef animals which at the lowest possible cost and expenditure of labor give the highest possible and longest lasting net returns. Not just for ourselves, but moreso for the commercial producers.

I think of this when I go out in the morning.
I think of this when I am stuck in a tractor.
I think of this when looking at my cattle.
I think of this when I go to bed at night.

I dont believe there is a correct or incorret answer.

what True-Line has given me are mentor's. Mentor's gave me the ability to think for myself without the fear of what others think of me or my cattle or my little world. look, watch, go slow, mother nature will provide an answer.

“Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

seems Larry has found it and has a way of passing it on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 am

Ben Loyning wrote:
It means truth. It means arming ourselves with knowlege to support the truth. It means pride in ourselves and pride in our product. It means self reliance within while working closely with others outside.

Ben
See I am not self centered just confident of the path i choose, It is My path and i do not need to share as i please my self with my results. But in the end we all meet at crossroads to share our ideas in our quest for validation.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 am

I think about cattle and their breeding only when I have exhausted the options and expectations of the other thing I think about.

"I think of this when I go out in the morning.
I think of this when I go to bed at night."

Last edited by Kent Powell on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

larkota wrote:
sorry Joe for not starting with my definition. was not done to piss you off but to see what direction this would go. I'm not much of a thinker and my writing skills sucks so now you will have to just be happy with what I put up.

True-Line.....Development of parent stock that can REGULARLY produce beef animals which at the lowest possible cost and expenditure of labor give the highest possible and longest lasting net returns. Not just for ourselves, but moreso for the commercial producers.

I think of this when I go out in the morning.
I think of this when I go to bed at night.

I dont believe there is a correct or incorret answer.

what True-Line has given me are mentor's. Mentor's gave me the ability to think for myself without the fear of what others think of me or my cattle or my little world. look, watch, go slow, mother nature will provide an answer.

“Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

seems Larry has found it and has a way of passing it on.

Even if you don't feel better about yourself now, I do. I love it when a plan comes together.

Back to top Go down
RedBulls

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:12 pm

I’ve never posted much on here but try to catch up by reading when I can. Most of the time I don’t feel like I have much to add or contribute, but I do enjoy learning. I'll also add that I sometimes feel like a lost step child around all you "Black" guys!! My Dad used to say "when all your neighbors are growing onions, plant spuds". I guess I took it to heart!

I can’t think of “Tru-Line” without thinking of Larry Leonhardt. I first became a fan of his while searching for maternal cattle genetics on the internet and finding his website as well as Mike’s comments on there. Of course I had heard of Shoshone Angus, but knew nothing of the current program. I’ll admit to becoming a bit emotional upon reading the bits of his “cow philosophy” that accompanies his pictures and lineages of his cattle. I felt like it was getting home after a long trip! I get pretty weary of overhearing or reading about folks wondering “which bull should I use to fix…..” whatever the problem happens to be at the time. No matter the breed, there are plenty of these folks.

To me, this concept means raising balanced cattle that breed true to what I personally deem good enough.

I'm sorry to have missed this year's gathering! I'm hoping to make the next one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yydurhamcattle.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:38 pm

I think it is an expression and effort of personal disclipine and focus to breed animals to a more useful, economically successful and consistant type and function.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 pm

EddieM wrote:
I think it is an expression and effort of personal disclipine and focus to breed animals to a more useful, economically successful and consistant type and function.

I believe the big jimmer is committed to those goals...
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:01 pm

As I understand the Tru-Line concept, it might mean something different to me as a commercial producer vs a seedstock guy. Using the "parts store" analogy, to be successful, the store owner must have a deep drive to serve his customer well. It's more than a business transaction, he WANTS to be a parts store owner. I'm just the guy needing some new brake calipers or wiper fluid. Ok, maybe right now I need a frame-up restoration, but you get the point. I might have a more pragmatic approach than others.

So I see it as a systems approach to making beef. Each component has a specific role, and not one can do it alone. Like the Good Book says, not everyone can be an eye, or a foot, or and ear, because without each part, the body ceases to function well, if at all. It's refreshing to meet people who are just fine being an ear or and eye or a foot, and are committed to being the very best eye/ear/foot they can be.

Tru-Line also means flexibility in my mind. Starting with the maternal base, I can breed them any way and for any market, in any given year, depending on the paternal cross I choose.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:18 pm

LCP wrote:
Like the Good Book says, not everyone can be an eye, or a foot, or and ear, because without each part, the body ceases to function well, if at all. It's refreshing to meet people who are just fine being an ear or and eye or a foot, and are committed to being the very best eye/ear/foot they can be.

Bootheel's quite happy just being a dick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Tom D wrote:
LCP wrote:
Like the Good Book says, not everyone can be an eye, or a foot, or and ear, because without each part, the body ceases to function well, if at all. It's refreshing to meet people who are just fine being an ear or and eye or a foot, and are committed to being the very best eye/ear/foot they can be.

Bootheel's quite happy just being a dick.

Joe It's time to post. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 pm

RedBulls wrote:
I’ve never posted much on here but try to catch up by reading when I can. Most of the time I don’t feel like I have much to add or contribute, but I do enjoy learning. I'll also add that I sometimes feel like a lost step child around all you "Black" guys!! My Dad used to say "when all your neighbors are growing onions, plant spuds". I guess I took it to heart!

I can’t think of “Tru-Line” without thinking of Larry Leonhardt. I first became a fan of his while searching for maternal cattle genetics on the internet and finding his website as well as Mike’s comments on there. Of course I had heard of Shoshone Angus, but knew nothing of the current program. I’ll admit to becoming a bit emotional upon reading the bits of his “cow philosophy” that accompanies his pictures and lineages of his cattle. I felt like it was getting home after a long trip! I get pretty weary of overhearing or reading about folks wondering “which bull should I use to fix…..” whatever the problem happens to be at the time. No matter the breed, there are plenty of these folks.

To me, this concept means raising balanced cattle that breed true to what I personally deem good enough.

I'm sorry to have missed this year's gathering! I'm hoping to make the next one.

missed you Ralph, but LeRoy represented your breed well...as for next year, I learning to hummmm O Canada Smile
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 pm

To me Tru-Line would mean cattle that can stand alone without constant need of genetic tinkering or alteration. That is not to say that you cannot find a SPECIFIC line of genetics that is worth adding or trying in a small way. None of this is be confused with the Bull of the Month Club or constantly trying to correct the last train wreck.

A few years ago I met a gentleman who said almost his entire herd could be traced back to a cow my father sold him over fifty years ago. That would be Tru-Line to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what true line means to you?   

Back to top Go down

what true line means to you?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 38Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next