Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The paternal side of maternal.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: The paternal side of maternal.   Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Getting ready to turn out the bulls tomorrow and throw the dice for another year. Hopefully got enough maternal type in these bulls to take my herd where I want to go. Three senior bulls are sons of my old 223U cow, two younger ones are double grandsons.

Old fatty that Joe doesn't like the boots or heels on. Can't keep the flesh off this bull even locked up in the corrals. 2 years of calved daughters on the ground - a few overly fleshy types but no fertility problems with them. Reduced mature size, perfect udders and no feet problems evident as yet. Took him to the vet recently - "failed" his semen test because we wouldn't get him through the alley into the surgery. Vet says he usually only has that problem with full French Charolais, with a V-alley and shorter legs his brisket/shoulder was just too wide. Never had to calve a female to him though and have used him on plenty heifers.

Bigger frame, lots of growth, less flesh - daughters look to be shaping the same way. Will know better next year.

Full brother to the last. Hates getting his picture taken - always on the move. Love how his hair goes almost black in places as breeding season approaches. Lot of promising looking calves on the ground this year.

New recruit - by the first bull out of a full sister to the 2nd and 3rd bulls. Using him on his 1/2 and 3/4 sisters this year. Looking a bit stretched out at this stage but his father did too as a young bull.

Spare bull. Want to keep something tight enough bred around in case of accident or injury. Small, horned bull that has maybe too much muscle to be a maternal type? Got a few calves off him this spring that all look about average for the gene pool.

Should be in good shape to breed.

Best of both worlds for the hard to please customer - curly Luing hair but also sheds out slick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am

what a picture of masculinity Grassy cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
nzdan

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Great Bulls, very impressed. Whats the first ones name? Solomon?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 pm

nzdan wrote:
Great Bulls, very impressed. Whats the first ones name? Solomon?
Welcome Dan,
I assume nz stands for New Zealand...tell us about your livestock interest and experience...maybe you can help expand our concepts into a global movement Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
nzdan

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi there. Thanks for the welcome.
I'm a sheep pregnancy scanner in NewZealand and the UK. Also have a few Luings, some Finnsheep and run the very last of the Campbell island feral sheep. I've long been a believe of low input farming and having animals that work for you. I guess the Finns and the Campbells are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The Finns have come along way since I started with them.
I've followed Iains musings for some time now. The Luing breed in Scotland is poorer for not having him there.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Dan, I'm assuming you are Dan from Kaiapoi? Great to have you on board here anyway - imagine that two Luing breeders on here cheers cheers
Yes, the first bull is Solomon. I really don't want them to be great bulls though - particularly him - I want him to do just "enough" without being "too much".
Back to top Go down
nzdan

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:24 am

Hi Iain yes thats me. I've only a wee few Luings at the moment mind. I'm looking forward to stretching my mind in Keeneys corner.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 am

I'd be interested in seeing some Luing cow pictures from NZ. If I remember right the bull pictured below had semen exported to NZ back in the early 70s so he might be an ancestor to your cattle. He would be a 2 year old in this picture.

I certainly remember the derision directed towards him at a directors meeting when the decision was made to dump all the old semen and "update" it with what I would now call "seedless fruit", Limo type bull semen. Despite it being a maternal breed the decision was made purely on visual assesment of phenotype, no consideration of female line ancestory. I guess Craig's comment about a bull "physically failing miserably in mainstream measurements" might apply to this bull too - but I'd sure be interested in seeing how his female descendents turned out.
Back to top Go down
nzdan

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:09 am

I've just had two cows by Polestar, both appendix 'A' out of Luing or Luing type cows. They were OK cows, one had classic highland back feet.
I've still some semen off Polestar and will use it once cow numbers are up again.
I'm currently trying to secure some 1960s and 70s Luing semen. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Some junior versions from my core linebred group, now 4-5 months old

Heifer school progeny

A more inbred one than I intended - forgot who the heifers sire was Embarassed

Their female herd mates

Heifer school progeny

And another more inbred one

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The paternal side of maternal.   

Back to top Go down

The paternal side of maternal.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1