Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A 30 year anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: A 30 year anniversary   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 pm

On Tuesday I'm going to have a 30 year anniversary - 30 years working full time on the farm as July 3 1982 was the day I left school and started the real learning process. Maybe a bit selfish and of little interest to others on here but I enjoyed going back and putting some pictures together.

Rover, the earliest dog I remember from my childhood

By age 9 I knew I wanted to earn my living with cows. This old pet was already a teenager and looks to be in rough shape as we were in a drought that year. (this was also one of the last time I wore shorts)

The cattle breeding progressed from Galloways bred Simmental to Galloways bred pure, some bred Simmy and some pure Simmys then eventually Luings bred Simmental to sell the F1 females as breeding stock.

Simm x Luing and Limo x Simm Luing males were fattened intensively indoors as "bull beef" to exploit some crazy European subsidy opportunities.

I sometimes miss having good perennial grass crops that could yield 8 ton/acre of silage on a single cut - but I don't miss the summers spent in a tractor baling it up.

Farming in the "old world" you were always among history - circular earth mounds on the left are the remains of a bronze age hill fort that was on our property. Beautiful early spring green colour that we don't get here. Little 10 acre fields with stone walls all around to keep up Rolling Eyes

I sometimes miss the simple efficiency of sheep - the ability to reproduce themselves twice over every year. I don't miss the shearing and handling though, my back certainly doesn't cheers

Lambs fattening on fodder rape, supplying the "golden hoof" in our reseeding efforts.

And it comes full circle - celebrating Canada day with the next generation.

Her smile describes how i've enjoyed my trip over the last 30 years. Hope the next 30 are as good Smile

Last edited by Grassfarmer on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Beautiful daughter, Grassy. I really like the picture with you & the dog, then her & her dog. Hope you've got those together in a frame.

I forgot to say, "Happy 30th Anniversary"
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Grassy, the first time I saw an ad for the new movie Brave, I immediately thought of your daughter. How is she handling fame? TD

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 am

beautiful story Grassy...and daughter; just showed Linda...as Brad Pitt would say, how could you ever leave Scotland?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks guys, the red hair sure attracts some attention here, unlike Scotland where it was more commonplace. All the complements we get on her red hair are starting to make my wife nervous - set off by the stranger last year who approached her in a store and said "my, that's beautiful hair - if I was going to abduct a child I'd go for someone like yours" Shocked Shocked Ok crazy lady move away slowly affraid
As for how could I leave Scotland there are a multitude of reasons - a few for starters: can't live on scenery alone (lack of profitability), lack of opportunity to expand, land prices further removed from productive value than N. America, insanely complicated ag subsidy programs driving everything you do, outrageous levels of Government regulation in agriculture, almost constant wind and rain, too much rain in the non-growing season, too much mud in the non-growing season, aging infrastructure from the 1800s all needing repaired (land all tile drained and stone wall fenced), archaic buildings from the same era that weren't much use but you couldn't adapt/modify/demolish, too much back trouble working with sheep, too much work period.
It wasn't all bad of course but in my opinion the negatives outweighed the positives so I moved.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:02 pm

GF,

What kind of birds are between the windrows?

KP
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Nothing exciting Kent - crows and seagulls
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Your folks did a better job of picking out dogs for you. If I paint my hair red will you adopt me for say, May through September for the next 18 years?

Nice story, history, herstory, your story.

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Dog picking has been another chapter of my education Joe. Grew up with and never owned anything other than border collies - had many that were "enough" and a few that were barely enough. They were all honest working sheepdogs through selection for that purpose. Came to Canada and wanted a dog to work cows so went with one of them fancy F1 Blue heeler x border collie "hybrids". The promise of more size, more power, more heat tolerance was what I thought I needed. I got a little too much power - largely uncontrollable power because the F1 cross with a heeler dilutes the brains and intelligence by 50%. He is less heat tolerant than most of the collies I've owned. Bigger though - feed requirements are 50% more than a straight collie. Yup, can't beat them hybrids - eh Will?
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Dog picking has been another chapter of my education Joe. Grew up with and never owned anything other than border collies - had many that were "enough" and a few that were barely enough. They were all honest working sheepdogs through selection for that purpose. Came to Canada and wanted a dog to work cows so went with one of them fancy F1 Blue heeler x border collie "hybrids". The promise of more size, more power, more heat tolerance was what I thought I needed. I got a little too much power - largely uncontrollable power because the F1 cross with a heeler dilutes the brains and intelligence by 50%. He is less heat tolerant than most of the collies I've owned. Bigger though - feed requirements are 50% more than a straight collie. Yup, can't beat them hybrids - eh Will?

Neat pics Ian. Smile

One poor hybrid doesn't mean they are all poor. I have an Appy Quarter horse cross gelding that has been an excellent all round ranch horse for 20 plus years. Nice eh though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

Dylan Biggs wrote:

One poor hybrid doesn't mean they are all poor. I have an Appy Quarter horse cross gelding that has been an excellent all round ranch horse for 20 plus years. Nice eh though. Very Happy

Say ya to da U.P. eh.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Tom D wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:

Say ya to da U.P. eh.

TD, forgive my lack of mental acuity, translation please. Smile

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Dyln, my highlighting of the word gelding was simply to emphasize that your beloved hybrid is, in fact, seedless. My second statement, a common phrase of yooper pride, was completely unrelated to the topic, but I just wanted to say eh. My spelling of your first name in this post is meant as a show of support for the red-headed grassfarmer, who was Brave enough to leave his homeland behind and cross a vast ocean, but is not quite Brave enough to wear shorts. Even after learning the Canadian language, and mastering the use of eh, everybody still forgets his i.

TD, clearing things up.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks for that clearing up job Tom, I actually understood your post so I must be catching onto the UP lingo too. I understand Canadian but they still have a tough time understanding me and the "eh" sound seems to confuse them most. I heard that when they came up with a name for their country they sounded it out a letter at a time C...eh...N....eh...D....eh so CND became Canada but they still use CND as an abbreviation for their currency. Yet when I spell my name out the letter "A" pronounced "eh" in my accent seemingly lands in Canadian ears as E. So I often get IEIN Eitken scratch scratch
Had to laugh the other week when the Hutterite field boss left a phone message for me in their archaic Hutterite dialect of Low German. I understand a few words but he must have forgotten who he was talking to. Leaves me wondering how many languages a guy has to learn when moving to a new country.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Tom D wrote:
Dyln, my highlighting of the word gelding was simply to emphasize that your beloved hybrid is, in fact, seedless. My second statement, a common phrase of yooper pride, was completely unrelated to the topic, but I just wanted to say eh. My spelling of your first name in this post is meant as a show of support for the red-headed grassfarmer, who was Brave enough to leave his homeland behind and cross a vast ocean, but is not quite Brave enough to wear shorts. Even after learning the Canadian language, and mastering the use of eh, everybody still forgets his i.

TD, clearing things up.

Laughing TD, thank you, I think, Laughing

To be clear I didn't presume GF (easier) was commenting on his dogs breeding ability, I did presume he was referring to his dogs WORKING ability, thus my reference to my GELDINGS working ability. Smile

Dyln, glad to have TD clearing my foggy mind. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Nice Ian. I really enjoyed this.

Jack
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: A 30 year anniversary   Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 am

TD, looks like a full time job.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin