Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Black and White

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Black and White    Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm

From the reaction I'm getting behind the scenes for my 7% "regressed" comment in my closed populations I feel like I might need to clarify a few things.

I was sorting that group off on Saturday with my dad who has been around cows his whole life but he is a dirt farmer at heart, he likes cows that are thin and hard to look at in the spring and fat in the fall and thats about as far as his concern for what I do with the cattle reaches so you can take his observations for what they cost you... Anyway he was asking me why we were sorting this bunch off as he didn't see much difference between them. I was explaining my reasons, pointing out some subtle differences and that why I was sorting them off is for outcrossing. Point being they are not deformed crazy looking freaks that are noticeably sick to someone that doesn't spend time with them everyday like I do.

I am not a seed stock producer and have no ambitions to be one, I do not sell bulls or heifers for breeding to anyone but myself.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Black and White    Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 pm

skimming around through Facebook cattle breeding posts today of KC grads and dropouts
, the lyrics to this Eagles no 1 hit came to me,
been humming it ever since with a smile on my face... Smile

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you...
the new kid in town
Everybody loves you, so don't let them down
Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Black and White    Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am

We think that we know the goal ]

We want to use the resources we have to control costs

We know that genetics need not only to work but to transfer with function and fit from generation to generation in a desired type   

We think we are reaching the goal
Only to find that we got a little too terminal than maternal or unbalanced in some way

I am not mainstream and probably never was.  I have looked at the few sale catalogs (few is relative to past years and prior to internet) that come here to see that fat bulls or non-masculine bulls are fashionable everywhere across this big land of ours.  But, thankfully and non-thankfully, there are a variety of non-mainstream folks.  Apparently a lot of local dikes have a leaking hole that need that one finger to stop the flow.  There are folks scattered all over the sorts and types and places with their their one finger in their one hole and declaring victory.  Small victories are good as long as everybody lives above sea level and out of the flood zone.

But that is not the case.  There needs to be a reasoning of balance and purpose and function.  This has been the place in recent times unless you choose to read historic documents and try to reason out the parts into the whole on your own.  This is the place to learn and express livestock information that can help and improve.  That's the way I look at it and I hope it continues to focus on that rather than the social, political or other distractions.  Apparently, there is a lot of thinking time when your finger is in the hole in the dike and you are waiting for reinforcements.  Maybe even the mind can wander beyond the current situation.  

Larry has given us and left here a unifying hope and system to breed livestock that are better for us and others.  I'm thankful and glad.  That is my focus - right there at the end of the rainbow that we never quite get to see if we take off walking today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black and White    

Back to top Go down

Black and White
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5