Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Knowing the cattle, knowing the data

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
df

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 am

df wrote:
I have not seen anything about Bonsma's ability to select replacement heifers. The discussion I have seen is about cows that should have had at least 1 calf.

When Bonsma discussed type, was this about cows that had already had calves or was he able to select heifers between the ages of 7 and 13 months to go into the replacement pen?

Bringing this back to the top in case it was missed.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 pm

df, while you're bringing it back up I'd like to know if the picture of Black Ink tells anything about poor daughters. I'm here to learn since it's too hot to work.
df wrote:
df wrote:
I have not seen anything about Bonsma's ability to select replacement heifers. The discussion I have seen is about cows that should have had at least 1 calf.

When Bonsma discussed type, was this about cows that had already had calves or was he able to select heifers between the ages of 7 and 13 months to go into the replacement pen?

Bringing this back to the top in case it was missed.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:18 pm

In my opinion the ability to pick replacement heifers lays in the genetic material that you have placed within them. The next step is to take the outliers off of the ends. If you have put the right material in them they will come out with the bonsma type, if you don't come out with the type that suits you, you have missed the point of this site.

Bob H from the land of summertime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Good point Bob Good point. We were in JV last weekend looked like it was the garden of Eden compared to 120 miles south.
Back to top Go down
Will

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:24 am

J Hudson, not as good in all ways. Not as much of everything but fat! Not as much quarter. Not as much natural thickness. Also a throwaway or two, but really good bulls for purebred Angus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knowing the cattle, knowing the data   

Back to top Go down

Knowing the cattle, knowing the data
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4