Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

most productive cow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

[url=https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html ]https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html [/url]
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Some breed diversity from the pre-digital camera age Smile

Older cow, newer photo

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 am

MKeeney wrote:
from Wayne`s world...

Just a cow 8or9. Thanks Mike for helping the computer idiots out.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am

Bootheel wrote:
[url=https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html ]https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html [/url]

I can`t find the specific pic..I thought I had posted it...maybe LL sent it to me...Ritchie is on the halter of a lawn ornament...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 am

W.T wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
from Wayne`s world...

Just a cow 8or9. Thanks Mike for helping the computer idiots out.

Dandy cow WT.!!, even if she is red. Smile
Back to top Go down
Farmerkuk

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 pm

2008 model

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Dylan don't that make you feel good when you see a red on a black cow. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:34 pm

W.T wrote:
Dylan don't that make you feel good when you see a red on a black cow. Laughing Laughing

W.T, how did you know? Sure does. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:34 pm

MKeeney wrote:
good pictures all...and as I thought, the characteristics and type are much the same; some slight differences created by feed, not genetics; ...all to show how Bonsma had it right 50 years ago, and the registered con game keeps trying to change them rather than accept them as the best they can be...
I want to put together a collage showing how the same type prevails.

whose cow is this btw...a recent addition to my photo bucket...a Shoshone LL? if not, I`d be quick to claim her as mine...even buy her Smile

the title of my little powerpoint accumulation may be
Judging for Maternal-A Consensus
or maybe
Bonsma Revisted

send more...expecially of other breeds/colors/crosses...

I've always thought, and still do, that, if you can take away the attention getters - the biggest and the fattest- just about anybody can find the best cows. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think somehow we are drawn to the Bonsma type, almost inherently.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:00 pm

use to tell folks my wife was like my dog, yell at either one and they went to the house.
this kinda reminds me of finding a wife. who should care but you.

did I settle or do I have the best that can be had?? just glad I found her before y'all did.

as for most productive cow really dont care, thought it was about just enough.

me thinks MK is up to something.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I am up to something...just not sure I`m up to the task...
how did the current fad of selecting little fat , squared rumped toads get started?
Back to top Go down
Farmerkuk

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Another black and red creation............

All black bulls!

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:52 pm

MKeeney wrote:
how did the current fad of selecting little fat , squared rumped toads get started?

pendulum swing, or just correction of last fad.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Farmerkuk wrote:
Another black and red creation............

All black bulls!

look at the switch on that cow with a calf...and look at that slope rump...but Farmerkuk, my eye also caught that sway back on the horizon...have you ever been to SAV? Wink
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 pm

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

pendulum swing, or just correction of last fad.

I don`t know...why can`t good become a fad?

I thought it was funny that the pet rocks had pedigrees...the more things change, the more ....awww, you know Smile

http://www.badfads.com/collectibles/pet-rocks/
Back to top Go down
Farmerkuk

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I did notice that ppc (piss poor cow)

Sav no place for me.....chance's are she came with a group of cows out of the sale barn.

I did notice the pair on the right......calves are march/April
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:15 pm

picture of 96 model cow one of the foundation cows of herd. registration #12778255

Back to top Go down
slim

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

1999 model
reg.13391905
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:25 am

slim,
I had missed seeing this pic until tonight, or is it morning? Smile I looked up her pedigree because to me she doesn`t quite fit the mold of the other cows pictured so far...

I put up a failure of a cow a few weeks back...I could sure use a few pics of the poorest producing cow you currently own...awww, don`t be afraid to admit you have at least one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:53 am

larkota wrote:

use to tell folks my wife was like my dog, yell at either one and they went to the house.
this kinda reminds me of finding a wife. who should care but you.

did I settle or do I have the best that can be had?? just glad I found her before y'all did.

as for most productive cow really dont care, thought it was about just enough.

me thinks MK is up to something.

Larkota, good point. I have been asking are outliers for udder quality, mothering ability, fertility, structural soundness and thus overall longevity, the "long haul" cows, 14, 15 , 16, that are the most productive not because of above average WW but because of their sustained ability to produce, a realistic breeding goal. Or as Larkota suggests just another version of striving for more than enough?

Or is the lack of longevity in most herds the result of the quest for ever more production and long haul cows may actually be a realistic, relatively easily attainable goal given contentment with enough production and a focussed linebred breeding program?

Mike, more pics of long haul cows coming.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am

When you first asked for our least productive cow I decided that would have to be an open second calver, but after putting some thought into it I have a cow that wins hands down, so I went to find her this morning and after trying to get a picture of her I decided she is also has the lowest I.Q Rolling Eyes

4 ½ years old, yet to wean a calf and was one of the last to calve this year. When I say I am not capable of making breeding decisions with registration papers this would be an example of that as she is the only registered cow I own, a pure bred Simmental and I’m sure Will could have saved me the money by looking at her papers although she does have 3C in there and she is relatively small framed small bone for a Canadian Simmental Wink

I bought her to make terminal bulls and her calf at side could be registered, as well as promoting her to flush cow status, who knows I may be able to break even yet Idea

Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Swweeeeettt. Now, ur talkin. Pictures of shitty cows. Katy bar the door. I've got 'ya covered Mike. Everybody else stay back..get outta my way. See, I took the camera to the pasture last week and there was this 2004 model cow who's always calved about 1st, comes in with the biggest calf, it's always a bull (steer when I get done with him) and I found her. Know what? She looked awful through the lens of the camera. No ass. Everything on her seemed to be angles, very harsh looking. I put the camera away and decided I'd just have to look at the pictures of cows sent by everyone else. Boy am I excited! Pictures of crummy cows. yippee. bounce
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Hilly wrote:

When you first asked for our least productive cow I decided that would have to be an open second calver, but after putting some thought into it I have a cow that wins hands down, so I went to find her this morning and after trying to get a picture of her I decided she is also has the lowest I.Q Rolling Eyes

4 ½ years old, yet to wean a calf and was one of the last to calve this year. When I say I am not capable of making breeding decisions with registration papers this would be an example of that as she is the only registered cow I own, a pure bred Simmental and I’m sure Will could have saved me the money by looking at her papers although she does have 3C in there and she is relatively small framed small bone for a Canadian Simmental Wink

I bought her to make terminal bulls and her calf at side could be registered, as well as promoting her to flush cow status, who knows I may be able to break even yet Idea

beautiful picture...classic terminal

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm

This would currently be my least productive cow and jury is out on whether to ship her this fall. She has had a calf 5 years out of 5 but it is small every time. She is just a fat pig that looks after herself far too well. Maybe I could market her to the "deep, thick, easy fleshing" crowd. She is low on maternal (or any) intelligence.

I've had way, way worse cows in the past - a 5 year old that I shipped having reared only 1 calf successfully comes to mind. Her one calf was a heifer which inherited her mothers characteristics and was shipped after I calf. I don't usually take pictures of these poor cows - they annoy me too much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
This would currently be my least productive cow and jury is out on whether to ship her this fall. She has had a calf 5 years out of 5 but it is small every time. She is just a fat pig that looks after herself far too well. Maybe I could market her to the "deep, thick, easy fleshing" crowd. She is low on maternal (or any) intelligence.

I've had way, way worse cows in the past - a 5 year old that I shipped having reared only 1 calf successfully comes to mind. Her one calf was a heifer which inherited her mothers characteristics and was shipped after I calf. I don't usually take pictures of these poor cows - they annoy me too much.

Now Ian you could call that cow one of those not good enough for you but will do someone else a lot of good cows. And there is a web site with a classified where you can advertize her. Just think of the financial reward you could get by claiming that her get will become famous. By the looks of her you can claim 5 star udder, 5 star hair coat and 10 star fleshing ability, and you can't forget to call her a real power cow!!!!!!! with all that going for her she will bring top dollar. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: most productive cow   

Back to top Go down

most productive cow
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next