Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Memorial Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Memorial Day   Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Memorial day. I would like to thank all the veterans for your service and sacrifice, to this country and the world. There are fewer and fewer of the Great Generation every year. And there service will never be forgotten . W.T
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Sat May 26, 2012 7:31 am

I dedicated this week to reading Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand. It is the story of Louis Zamperini who spent 37 days on a raft in the Pacific only to be captured and tortured daily for nearly two years by the Japanese. His story of forgiveness is truly humbling.

Thank you past, future, and present service members.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Sun May 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I want to echo WT and Joe's comments to all our past and present military personel. I giant thank you for all the freedoms we enjoy. You are the reason we have had the chance to be the greatest country that has ever been and I feel I have won a lottery way better than money to just be an American. Thank you all for making that possible for me and mine.

Jack
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 pm

W.T wrote:
Memorial day. I would like to thank all the veterans for your service and sacrifice, to this country and the world. There are fewer and fewer of the Great Generation every year. And there service will never be forgotten . W.T

You're right WT, but I assure you there is a new great generation coming along behind them. I have tremendous respect for those young men and women who are wearing the uniform today. I don't know the statistics, but I would bet most of them enlisted after 9/11 - they knew they would get deployed. There are very few soldiers who have not done at least one tour in Afghanistan or Iraq (or two or three). It takes more than just money for college to sign up for a job like that. These soldiers know what they are signing up for, and yet we still have an all-volunteer force.

I am not trying to compare this generation of soldiers with previous ones...the WWII generation's sacrifice is well-documented, and not lost on this veteran, but I can assure you that I have experienced first-hand the quality of today's soldiers. We can be equally as proud of them as we are of previous generations.

Bootheel - my wife read that book recently and told me about it as she read it. What an amazing story. Its on my list to read as well.

I do not think I would understand or appreciate how good we have it here in the US, had I not seen for myself what the alternative is. It's very hard to comprehend unless you have spent time in a place where freedom isn't a given.

So, I join with the rest of you in remembering those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, and humbly thanking those still in harm's way for the selfless service they are providing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1