Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Double Muscled Angus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 am

My question is this. Is there a place at this point in time for the intentional use of Angus bulls that carry the double muscling gene? Back when I was a registered breeder and purchased and raised various herdsires, occasionally I would run into a few bulls that would produce double muscling. I did this by linebreeding them back to their daughters. Now there is a test I see that you can use to identify these. Just my opinion, but the intentional production of these animals could be an interesting way to produce terminal, high yielding outcross that could still be called Angus, not Limousine. This topic will probably end up in the same garbage bin as the one I started on tails and switches, or the one I was thinking about starting on cutting horse breeders and their lack of knowledge about cattle and how this correlates to the high divorce rate among cutting horse breeders, or the thread I was going to start about great cow dogs who take a leak in your tool box but sit & grin at you when you let them sit in the front seat with you as you travel down the road.

DV talking to my 2 ash trees about when it would be good timing to plant alfalfa
Back to top Go down
Will



Posts : 224
Join date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Good question. Do you think one gene for double muscling affects marbling? See any negatives in the sires that had one gene for double muscling? Notice any difference in the daughters? Lots of questions, but this is an interesting topic.
Back to top Go down
tulip



Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Will wrote:
Good question. Do you think one gene for double muscling affects marbling?

To a certain degree, but given that both the dam and sire has high marbling genetics, it is quite possible for the offspring to marble, that is, if it is fed well...

An example: the piedmontese breed has a lot of good marbling genes. They are not expressed among the purebred, they do however come into play in crosses with british breeds and dairy cattle. In such situations marbling genetics come from both parents, and show up even under the influence of the single copy of the double muscling gene.

Tulip, in the vicinity of being a self proclaimed expert in double muscling traits.

Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 3:03 pm

I think a single copy of the DM mutation might increase yield percentages. For some reason there is a lack of research on the affects of a single copy of the double muscle mutation on meat quality and yield. The question I have is why does angus bulls have a double muscle mutation of another breed? DV did the suspected DM bulls have supposely common ancestor(s) or did you try to find a common link when you where a registered angus breeder? I am thinking that a double muscle angus bull might make an excellent terminal sire. scratch
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Why spend years developing a Limmy, when they already exist?


Dog piss running down a hot muffler is one of the little joys of life.



Cutters are the bastardization of natural beauty.


Ash trees die when a cow looks at them.





Bootheel, consulting with locusts and their use for feed


Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 406
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
My question is this. Is there a place at this point in time for the intentional use of Angus bulls that carry the double muscling gene? Back when I was a registered breeder and purchased and raised various herdsires, occasionally I would run into a few bulls that would produce double muscling. I did this by linebreeding them back to their daughters. Now there is a test I see that you can use to identify these. Just my opinion, but the intentional production of these animals could be an interesting way to produce terminal, high yielding outcross that could still be called Angus, not Limousine. This topic will probably end up in the same garbage bin as the one I started on tails and switches, or the one I was thinking about starting on cutting horse breeders and their lack of knowledge about cattle and how this correlates to the high divorce rate among cutting horse breeders, or the thread I was going to start about great cow dogs who take a leak in your tool box but sit & grin at you when you let them sit in the front seat with you as you travel down the road.

DV talking to my 2 ash trees about when it would be good timing to plant alfalfa

DV, it would also be interesting to know the degree of existing demand for double muscled bulls of any breed.

DB
Back to top Go down
tulip



Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 406
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Why spend years developing a Limmy, when they already exist?


Dog piss running down a hot muffler is one of the little joys of life.



Cutters are the bastardization of natural beauty.


Ash trees die when a cow looks at them.





Bootheel, consulting with locusts and their use for feed



The French accent probably, Gaelic is more palatable to the ear.

Cat piss running down the front windshield into the heater intake is big joy on a cold winter morning when you turn on the defrosting heater fan. Full aroma.

I don't know any cutters so can't comment.

DB...glad we have had some rain and I don't need to consult the shrubs.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5019
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 10:01 pm

funny that the characteristic tendencies of evolved animals are more consistent and predictable than what we "breeders" have accomplished...I have no clue if there are any positive correlations between other traits of carcass desirability and double muscling...I always assumed nil; but...we often assume too much...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I know of no double muscled breed that marbles to the extent of none double muscled breeds. Are non double muscled, single muscled? Using correct terminology is very important to me. I don't want to get caught promoting single muscled cattle and have to say something like ''squishy'' to properly describe them. Is being ''squishy'' an economically important trait?


I thought Mr. Keeney was the one who said if we make them marble like a Wagyu, they will look like one too. Is my world falling down around me, or just my reading comprehension due to negative influences?


If an Angus is muscled like a Limmy, won't it be a limmy in most all other ways?


Bootheel, most definetely not French or Gayish
Back to top Go down
EddieM



Posts : 976
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 pm

How/Would this fit into a trueline effort? How much more can we make with double muscled black-hided bovines? How much can we lose with double muscled black-hided bovines? Can Will market the hybrids of double muscled cattle even if he has quit bull sales? Can Joe make them survive the drought or will they eat double amounts? Do double muscled cattle have 8 stomachs and udders to spare? Will DV find them near the bridge? Has WT been in Iowa with a flashlight and a textbook on cattle judging? Why am I asking all of these questions?

Eddie, not sure.
Back to top Go down
tulip



Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 am

A calf that is heterozygous for double muscling and homozygous for good marbling will have decent marbling while it will have lots of muscle. A seedless fruit.

Tulip, neither nor.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5019
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Sun May 20, 2012 1:27 am

Bootheel wrote:
I know of no double muscled breed that marbles to the extent of none double muscled breeds. Are non double muscled, single muscled? Using correct terminology is very important to me. I don't want to get caught promoting single muscled cattle and have to say something like ''squishy'' to properly describe them. Is being ''squishy'' an economically important trait?


I thought Mr. Keeney was the one who said if we make them marble like a Wagyu, they will look like one too. Is my world falling down around me, or just my reading comprehension due to negative influences?


If an Angus is muscled like a Limmy, won't it be a limmy in most all other ways?


Bootheel, most definetely not French or Gayish

continuing on those thoughts Joe, 1680 wasn`t a bad bull, he was just a Wagyu...I assume Smile until proven otherwise, a double muscle Angus equates a double muscle Limmy except in "breed" nomenclature...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
tim hair



Posts : 12
Join date : 2012-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Mon May 21, 2012 3:18 pm

the hog boy chased this some time ago with stress gene(i cannot remember the correct name i have to much gray hair)it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. higher cutouts,but the pork was not as appealing to the end consummer. like every magic bullet their comes problems. when you use outliers you are using genetic mutants. we have chased all kinds of things like a dog chasing it tale .It might be fun for a little while but not for long.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

tim hair wrote:
the hog boy chased this some time ago with stress gene(i cannot remember the correct name i have to much gray hair)it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. higher cutouts,but the pork was not as appealing to the end consummer. like every magic bullet their comes problems. when you use outliers you are using genetic mutants. we have chased all kinds of things like a dog chasing it tale .It might be fun for a little while but not for long.

good answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Double Muscled Angus   

Back to top Go down
 
Double Muscled Angus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Double Muscled Angus
» DOUBLE-DREAMING
» "double orbit"?
» Double extrasolar planets
» Also, I got a double portion blessing!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: