Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Solar Watering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 am

I was out moving more groups to banked grass yesterday and got to wondering what others here have for solar watering systems, here are a few of mine.

This one is set up to keep ahead of 150 cows, 12 volt, 120 watt 1 1/2'” line.




Here is a older system that is interesting to me due to the small $100 RV pump that sits about 5 feet down a old well pulling water from about 12 feet through a garden hose and filling the surge tank controlled by a float control circuit. That little pump can keep ahead of 90 pairs with that surge with the greatest distance to water being approximately half a mile.




This one is for 350-400 yearlings, the pump is set at 75’, a 48 volt system due to the fact that the well was drilled on the shade side of a bushed ravine so I had a long distance to the two 185 watt solar panels, the trees do provide a wind break but will keep me trimming suspect trees every year.








This last picture I just threw in as it is the most portable fencer system I have to date, with its step in stand.


Back to top Go down
jonken



Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-12-17
Location : nemo

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:51 pm



Well Hilly , We can't wait to see your watering system first hand . 2013 or is it 2014 .

Jon , a watering pansy from the south .
Back to top Go down
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Well Smile Jon,

Grassy and I are actively campaigning for 2015 although I have heard rumors that DB may be ready before hand.

That being said I think I can speak for Grassy when I say anyone is welcome any time, just not much to show on the cattle deal.

I have went a little further and am campaigning for a winter gathering on the island of St. Croix in a bid to get Eb to show up and us northerners could do PowerPoint’s on the beach.

I just can’t see a bunch of misfits standing in line to get a passport and travel all the way up here on a herd of Longhorns.


flower
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

I had been debating using some of the solar waterers on some leased land, but just ran a poly wire around the edge instead. Sometimes the banks are to steep, and I think pumping would be better for erosion control. But the one you're pumping from doesn't look problematic. Is it a government program mandate, kind of deal, or what?

Are some of those units the kind Powerflex sells?


Bootheel, heading to Canada in 2013 whether they are ready or not
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Bootheel wrote:
I had been debating using some of the solar waterers on some leased land, but just ran a poly wire around the edge instead. Sometimes the banks are to steep, and I think pumping would be better for erosion control. But the one you're pumping from doesn't look problematic. Is it a government program mandate, kind of deal, or what?

Are some of those units the kind Powerflex sells?


Bootheel, heading to Canada in 2013 whether they are ready or not

let`s meet in Billings, and all ride up together...we could surely fill a 32 passenger tour bus Smile or a 47? I wonder how many bathrooms?? crucial for us old guys...and all women folk it seems Smile

http://bigskybuslines.com/tourcoachcharters.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Yah you guessed right, I’m always the first in line for government handouts.

I would probably lose some in that bog if I let them drink out of it, and did I mention there are about 50 people daily running their dogs passed... a big mud hole with cows struggling to get in and out would have the SPCA involved. The picture is a bit deceiving as I just put the cows in, but around the tank will be knee deep in mud before long. It’s easily portable and I use it in 4 different places throughout the year.

I’m not sure if Powerflex sells these.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I only have one solar water system, a compilation of assorted junk I put together myself. Free car trailer, 2 panels, an $80 sprayer pump, an 1100 litre tank I had already, couple of tool boxes from Canadian Tire. It's quite handy being portable as we are often watering out of the river which has high banks in places. Not a huge output pump but it can lift 25 feet of head and with the tank as a reservoir it works well enough for up to 60 cows. I have an 1200 gallon tank on a wagon with a trough mounted on the back also but I fill it with a 2'' gas pump.









I'm thinking 2013 is premature for a group visit up here - the sooner you come the less there will be to see.
GF - thinking it suspicious that Mike is pushing for Canada when there has been no mention of an annual gathering in Kentucky yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
jonken



Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-12-17
Location : nemo

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 am

Hilly wrote:
Well Smile Jon,

Grassy and I are actively campaigning for 2015 although I have heard rumors that DB may be ready before hand.

That being said I think I can speak for Grassy when I say anyone is welcome any time, just not much to show on the cattle deal.

I have went a little further and am campaigning for a winter gathering on the island of St. Croix in a bid to get Eb to show up and us northerners could do PowerPoint’s on the beach.

I just can’t see a bunch of misfits standing in line to get a passport and travel all the way up here on a herd of Longhorns.


flower

Premature on my part Hilly and Grassy . My thoughts of simmy-angus bulls moving our herd forward had me jumping the gun . Jon
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 am

Hilly wrote:
Yah you guessed right, I’m always the first in line for government handouts.

I would probably lose some in that bog if I let them drink out of it, and did I mention there are about 50 people daily running their dogs passed... a big mud hole with cows struggling to get in and out would have the SPCA involved. The picture is a bit deceiving as I just put the cows in, but around the tank will be knee deep in mud before long. It’s easily portable and I use it in 4 different places throughout the year.

I’m not sure if Powerflex sells these.

I wasn't sure if'n you were lined up at the trough of free money, or under the burden of regulation, or both, or just good stewardship. I am now leaning to the latter, which was the direction I was already leaning, but you just never know what is really going on under the cloak of communism.


Bootheel, still going in 2013 whether Grassfarmer likes it or not.


Back to top Go down
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:53 am

Looks good Iain, although the licence plate makes it look far to compliant Smile

Where did you get your pump and regulator? It looks like a 12 volt system, do you use deep 6’s or 12’s for batteries and are you running a float switch through a relay?
Back to top Go down
EddieM



Posts : 895
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Quote :
I have went a little further and am campaigning for a winter gathering on the island of St. Croix in a bid to get Eb to show up and us northerners could do PowerPoint’s on the beach.

Hilly, you don't need to have me around to have a good time: probably the opposite!
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Hilly wrote:
Looks good Iain, although the licence plate makes it look far to compliant Smile

Where did you get your pump and regulator? It looks like a 12 volt system, do you use deep 6’s or 12’s for batteries and are you running a float switch through a relay?

Jeez, now you're asking a lot of questions I can't answer - electrics is not my strong point. Panels and regulator came from an online supplier in Manitoba, they are about 60% of local prices like UFA. I'm on my 2nd regulator as the first got fried in a lightening storm and hadn't got a fuse you could replace. I guess I should have had the whole outfit earthed? Pump is from that posh upper crust supplier Princess Auto. I think they are two 12v marine batteries on it. Don't understand what a relay is Embarassed the float switch just plugs into the power line coming off the batteries and the pump is plugged into it. It's just a regular "down switch" float, the opposite of the up switches on type you use in a sewer pump out. I probably could have managed with one panel instead of two but it's better to have more rather than less. The trailer came with the plate and has working brake lights and indicators too, that's better than my old stock trailer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Eb, just ask around... I’m not the life of a party and I’m looking forward to meeting you this year at Jack’s or next year in Kentucky.

Maintenance costs on half of this year’s entertainment are run well over budget jocolor

Iain, didn’t mean to sound like an expert I don’t know much about it either, I have a local guy you may want to check out as far as prices.

Sounds like you’re inline with you switch and from what I see in the pictures that probably is more efficient as you don’t appear to have substantial line lost.

I have not spent the time calculating line lost vs. the Amps required to run a relayed control circuit and to this point I have taken the word of the experts but from what I have seen to date it sure seems the relay draws more power then they give it debit for, the energy in heat alone seems substantial enough.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Hilly wrote:

I have not spent the time calculating line lost vs. the Amps required to run a relayed control circuit and to this point I have taken the word of the experts but from what I have seen to date it sure seems the relay draws more power then they give it debit for, the energy in heat alone seems substantial enough.

That's all Greek to me - I have no clue what it means, you were the electrician so I'll defer to your knowledge. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 am

.

Here is another system that can be used in the winter as well, it has dry cell yellow tops and although the initial price is high it may be justified as they have been untouched in over 10 years.



Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Fri May 25, 2012 1:29 pm

The pteredactyl poop may be reducing the efficency
Back to top Go down
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 pm



“Tower this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby.”

“Negative, Ghost Rider, even if you’re full… Joe said that shit's inefficient and uncalled for!”

.
Back to top Go down
jonken



Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-12-17
Location : nemo

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Hilly wrote:


“Tower this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby.”

“Negative, Ghost Rider, even if you’re full… Joe said that shit's inefficient and uncalled for!”

.

Hilly all this time I thought you were CAMPAINING for 2015 ! Jon .
Back to top Go down
Hilly



Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 am


So true, I had high aspirations... Glad I haven’t quit my day job
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Solar Watering   

Back to top Go down
 
Solar Watering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Solar Watering
» Discovery of a very cool brown dwarf amongst the ten nearest stars to the Solar System
» solar plexus block
» Has anyone heard of the Earth Solar Chakra?
» Giant planet migration in the Solar system

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: farm and ranch life-
Jump to: