Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A life honoured

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: A life honoured    Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Today we met to mourn the loss of another of the greatest generation - the man I've had the privilege of calling my father-in-law for the last 12 years. I post this not to attract expressions of sympathy but out of pride for a great man, to share an example of how many lives an individual or a couple can positively influence through their love of people, of kids and of education.

“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

David Rosslyn Powell Pugh

Ross Pugh lived a full and active life.  Born on January 27, 1925, Ross grew up with his older sister (Margaret) in Builth Wells, Wales.  He attended the University of Aberystwyth (Wales) where he studied History.  Ross served with the Royal Air Force from 1944-1947 as a navigator before embarking on his teaching career.  He met  Barbara Filby at Hartlepool Grammar School where they were both teaching, and married her in 1955.  Over the next 10 years, they added 4 children to their family:  Rosslyn, Felicity, Daniel and Rowena.  In 1965 the family moved to Freetown, Sierra Leone where Ross worked as a teacher trainer.  In 1967 they emigrated to Edmonton, Alberta where he became Professor of Education at the University of Alberta - a post he held until retirement in 1992.  Moving to western Canada with 4 little kids was a courageous move in those days, and his children have many fond memories of their early years in Edmonton, summer holidays piling into the red station wagon and heading to national parks, spending Sunday afternoons at Mayfair (Hawrelak) Park and discovering the "new world" thanks to the adventurous spirit of our parents.  From 1972-1974 Dad worked on his Ph.D. thesis, moving the family to live in Lancashire, England for some of that time.  Returning to Canada, Ross and Barbara continued to foster children, a labour of love they undertook and which 25+ young children benefited from their care over 15 years.  Two more additions were made to the family:  David and Rachel.  Ross was a spiritually-grounded man and always an active church member - first at Pleasantview United, then Southminster United and finally Dayspring Presbyterian.  The selfless generosity and time given to his charitable giving and spiritual pursuits were truly exemplary.  Sadly, in 2000 Barbara died of cancer and Ross was left in the family home living a quiet life, enjoying grandchildren and his faith until his death following a two year struggle with Alzheimers Disease.

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: A life honoured    Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Well done Grassy
Back to top Go down

A life honoured
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1