Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

New water development at WCR

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New water development at WCR   Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 pm

I've grown tired of chopping ice. Digging da hole.

In-well pressure tank.

Back filling.

In service.

This low energy ice-free waterer has a copper temperature sensor that, when properly adjusted, allows water to run and circulate just enough to keep water from freezing. The excess goes into an overflow pipe. The propaganda states that at -20 F, approximately 20 gallons of water will be needed in a 24 hour period. We'll know soon enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:13 pm

How deep is your geothermal heat tube?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

The culvert is buried six feet from the ground level and is at the same depth of the water line. This waterer is made in Montana by a guy who appears to have tweaked the design of the more nationally available Geo-Therm Livestock Waterer.

If interested, go to YouTube and query Three Pines Ranch - IMC Automatic Waterer. It will give you an idea of how they are installed. In our case, we already had the water line in place.
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 am

I am working on installing another tire tank waterer. Got the earthmover tire from a guy who owes me for wintering some colts when he didn't have a place to put them. So far I have ruined six sabre saw blades trying to cut a drinking hole in the side wall. Some say a coarser blade works better even though there are steel belts. Going to give it one more try before using a combine tire instead. I made a couple a few years ago by lag bolting steel plate to the bottom. This one is going to be set over a culvert with pressure treated plywood covered with concrete in the bottom. I welded all the pipe fittings on the other two but will just bring them up thru the concrete on this one. I use rubber heater hose in the culvert so even if the tire shifts a little you don't break any connections.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

It isn't like Taylor's, but we just had our first Cobett freezeproof automatic waterer installed last week. The bottom of the heat tube is 6' and is plumbed in from an existing waterline that was within 80' of where we placed the waterer. The cattle have drank out of one of those "blue ball" waterers on a previous leased pasture but so far seem hesistant about drinking from this one. Maybe they just need a bit of time to get used to it. Maybe they didn't care for the mound I built up around the waterer to insure it had good drainage away from the waterer. Regardless, it sure is nice knowing I won't be carrying water to the cows in 5 gallon buckets both day and night this winter. Although two 5 gallon buckets of water in each hand (4 total per trip) does build up the shoulders pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:43 am

We have a Cobett in the bull pen and it is a good waterer. They are a bit pricey in places they get only occasional use. The shipping here is also pretty high.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 am

We picked up our cobett at a farm show, so avoided shipping costs... No concrete needed, tough made and never freezes even in 4 consecutive days of 20 below... we are very happy with ours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 am

Gregory Walker wrote:
We picked up our cobett at a farm show, so avoided shipping costs... No concrete needed, tough made and never freezes even in 4 consecutive days of 20 below... we are very happy with ours.

Did you go with the float valve or the automatic valve without the float?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:56 pm

The float valve. The only problem we have had is when the hogs drink out of it... they dirty it up and it needs to be cleaned out regularly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Gregory Walker wrote:
The float valve. The only problem we have had is when the hogs drink out of it... they dirty it up and it needs to be cleaned out regularly.

How high do you have the waterer so that the hogs can drink out of it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Here is a shot of the culvert before it was backfilled.
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Taylor Orr wrote:

I've grown tired of chopping ice. Digging da hole.

In-well pressure tank.

Back filling.

In service.

This low energy ice-free waterer has a copper temperature sensor that, when properly adjusted, allows water to run and circulate just enough to keep water from freezing. The excess goes into an overflow pipe. The propaganda states that at -20 F, approximately 20 gallons of water will be needed in a 24 hour period. We'll know soon enough.

Hows that ice-free waterer working....The old one on a lease farm here froze at 5 degrees..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Worked like a champ during our cold spell where it got down down to -15F and was consistently below freezing for a couple of weeks. So, it seems to work well in cold weather. However, now that the temps have been above freezing part of the day, the system has been rapid cycling and kicking itself off. We're working on that issue now.
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Taylor Orr wrote:
Worked like a champ during our cold spell where it got down down to -15F and was consistently below freezing for a couple of weeks. So, it seems to work well in cold weather. However, now that the temps have been above freezing part of the day, the system has been rapid cycling and kicking itself off. We're working on that issue now.

Glad to here it worked so well....I need to replace the old one on the lease farm....Frozen water tanks are a pain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Our well has a Pump Saver associated with it since it is a low producing well. That is where the current rapid cycling problem is, not from the design of the waterer, which gets high marks thus far.

Shilow, where are you located?
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Taylor Orr wrote:
Our well has a Pump Saver associated with it since it is a low producing well. That is where the current rapid cycling problem is, not from the design of the waterer, which gets high marks thus far.

Shilow, where are you located?

80 miles east of MikeK In kentucky....Ritche waters seems to the most popular in this area...Not montana cold here for sure but snow and below freezing last couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New water development at WCR   

Back to top Go down

New water development at WCR
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1