Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bovine Switches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:58 pm

I just got off the phone with my brother Galen who's been doing some research on bull tails and cow tails through just observing the differences in the switches and overall tail structure. Since he probably sees more cattle per week than anyone I know, I think he's really on to something. There is a huge difference in the vitality in bovine tails. A lot of mainstream Angus right now have exceedingly high tailheads that go down to a really small, flimsy, fine haired switch. The cattle I'm breeding around here which are primarily Shoshone origin blood, have excellent switches which is to my brother and I a real positive. When a bull swings his tail around he wants it to swing way up over his back. He wants it to have some impact. I'm thinking that in addition to all the other things the mainstream crowd is screwing up, they're screwing up the tails on these cattle whether they know it or not.

DV in the vicinity of trying to get W.T to respond
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Dennis, it's funny that you should bring this up because I have decided to breed strictly for tails. All of my life I have appreciated good tail, but lately I lust after it. The rest of the cow doesn't mean a thing if she doesn't have a good tail. So years from now when you have fixed your feet but lost your tail, you can come visit my Ice Cream Shoppe when you're ready to make a switch. TD

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
I just got off the phone with my brother Galen who's been doing some research on bull tails and cow tails through just observing the differences in the switches and overall tail structure. Since he probably sees more cattle per week than anyone I know, I think he's really on to something. There is a huge difference in the vitality in bovine tails. A lot of mainstream Angus right now have exceedingly high tailheads that go down to a really small, flimsy, fine haired switch. The cattle I'm breeding around here which are primarily Shoshone origin blood, have excellent switches which is to my brother and I a real positive. When a bull swings his tail around he wants it to swing way up over his back. He wants it to have some impact. I'm thinking that in addition to all the other things the mainstream crowd is screwing up, they're screwing up the tails on these cattle whether they know it or not.

The Shoshones most definetly have a different, fuller, unique kind of tail switch. Do they still fall off in fescue Mike?...at least some of them?

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

And I think that there is something to the overall length of the tail.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Dennis Voss wrote:

The Shoshones most definetly have a different, fuller, unique kind of tail switch. Do they still fall off in fescue Mike?...at least some of them?

A couple have Joe; but I doubt it fescue...actually, I was hoping the body would grow to match the tail; but now after this Dr. Voss treatise , reinforced by Powell, I think maybe they have Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:37 am

It appears to me tail length and switch size is lacking in red angus .Any thoughts as to why ? Jon
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 am

Jon,

Judging by 373 photos, who has 15-20% influence in the pedigrees I have studied, it isn't his fault. Superchief and Tusgarora Chief look shorter switched.

http://5barx.com/downloads/Chieflining.pdf

http://www.barkingapple.com/websites/chieflineredangus/history.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Keystone,
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I'm going to get one of those Keystone bulls up here some day for specialty breeding. This is a picture of Beetseed. In my opinion no finer example of an Angus bull's tail. I notice also a lot of my Leonhardt influenced bulls like to throw their tail clear up on top of their back and park it there for a while. For those that dismiss this topic, I think time will prove there's an issue here well worth digging into. All the parts of these animals we breed have to fit together in harmony. I know there is a reason, but why do they actually shave off the switches on these show animals? What is the logic? Oh yeah, I forgot, rattails are in now. That muskrat animal that Bootheel posted looks a lot like a mainstream Angus bull. Why is it that Mother Nature is never enough for humans? Oh yeah, that's all I do here, screw with Mother nature.

DV in the vicinity of shopping at the Beak Store.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Powell Systematic

F0203 x Emulation 31 x Viking

inbred Rito Excel 809 sons

Gardens Fortune 100 daughter

Buckfast of Wickwire x Forletta of Wickwire

Shoshone Beam 5482 x Shoshone Lucy 2946

Powell Stability

Powell Eli 6254 K - Manning of Wye x Shoshone Frances 6357

Powell Sculptor 624- Franson of Wickwire x Gardens Fortune 100 x Toms Power R1556 x Toms Emulous 2-8012 x Elban Bardolier 18 of Moore

Last edited by Keystone on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Powell Perfetto 4233 - Rito Excel 998 x 6807 x Piere x Dominator 017 x Quonston of Wye x Asbury of Wye x Emulation 31

Last edited by Keystone on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 pm

After looking through the old pictures, it looks like- on average, Wye, Rito, Traveler,In Focus and New Design cattle tend toward shorter tail/switch.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm going over to 4.9 and see how many switches a cow is supposed to have and whether they are supposed to be on or off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Let me know Eddie.

2 sets of shoulders.

4 udders.

I am in for 6 tails.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Tom D wrote:
Dennis, it's funny that you should bring this up because I have decided to breed strictly for tails. All of my life I have appreciated good tail, but lately I lust after it. The rest of the cow doesn't mean a thing if she doesn't have a good tail. So years from now when you have fixed your feet but lost your tail, you can come visit my Ice Cream Shoppe when you're ready to make a switch. TD

I was hoping against hope, that mine had a long tail. He didn't. Good feet, no tail, or at least short. I don't think it is the end of the world though.

Bootheel, this selection is hard stuff
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Bootheel,

Selection is the easy part I think. It is the predicting that I have trouble with but then maybe I am not real good at selecting because if I was predicting would be easy.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm

After you visit the world famous Beak Store, stop by the Tail Store to complete your new look.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Too much tail can be a problem also. Last summer we started to have some cattle show up dead and we finally figured out that with all the rain we had recieved, the cattle and horses in this country with too much tail were getting so much gumbo (that's a real heavy clay soil in this country) stuck in their tails that the weight was pulling on the tail so much that they were unable to close their (front) eyes and they were dying of sleep depravation. That's no bull shit.

Jack, no really. True story, pretty much.

Back to top Go down
mikejd4020

PostSubject: Dead cows   Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39 am

Jack,

We had a very similar problem with dead cows and such. I (at the time) didn't attribute the death to muddy tail syndrome. I thought the grass was so tall that it was tickling there belly to much, thereby, resulting in lack of sleep from laughing to much. Basically, tickle torture syndrome. After carefully muddling through your thoughts, I determined that it likely could have been a rash of muddy tail syndrome. Whatever it was; the morbidity was due to lack of sleep.

Mike, now hoping for a drought.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:30 am

mikejd4020 wrote:
Jack,

We had a very similar problem with dead cows and such. I (at the time) didn't attribute the death to muddy tail syndrome. I thought the grass was so tall that it was tickling there belly to much, thereby, resulting in lack of sleep from laughing to much. Basically, tickle torture syndrome. After carefully muddling through your thoughts, I determined that it likely could have been a rash of muddy tail syndrome. Whatever it was; the morbidity was due to lack of sleep.

Mike, now hoping for a drought.

The force is strong in this one.

TD, sleep deprived, but not from too much tail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 am

How do you wear those tails. is it a Michigan courtship deal?
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
How do you wear those tails. is it a Michigan courtship deal?

Every spring in Michigan, young males build nests out of field stones, then select a beak from the Beak Store and a tail from the Tail Store, and dance wildly for potential mates to the sounds of Ted Nugent. It's a free for all, oh baby.

TD, explaining how things work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:41 am

I'm putting Michigan in the spring on my bucket list. Cat Scratch Fever rules!!!

Jack, trying to remember what they call a store that sells tail. There's a name for it but damned if I can remember what it's called. Tail store? Naw that ain't it. Hemmmm...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 am

Jack: Would it be a Brothel? No that is where they sell soup. I will keep thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   

Back to top Go down

Bovine Switches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next