Keeney`s Corner

A reflective and futuristic view of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Chicken Manure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charles

PostSubject: Chicken Manure   Sun 31 Oct 2010, 2:51 pm

Looking for advice on the use of chicken manure as fertilizer. I can get broiler house manure dumped here by the semi load for $27 a ton, I don't know how much bedding is in it, but the trucker says it's pretty heavy, he can get 27-28 tons of it on a standard dump trailer. He also says it's pretty stinky. Wondering about the fertility value of it. Also thinking about composting it, I can get semi loads of sawdust dumped here for $125 a load. Could be cheap fertilizer. From my reading 3-4 tons of chicken manure would equal 1 ton of 19-19-19 plus a lot of organic material.

Charles
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Chicken Manure   Sun 31 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

Charles,
You can ask the trucker to find out if the houses are cleaned after each flock, once a year, etc. The university can run an analysis or the broiler producer should areald have it. If you let it stack and go through a heat, the odor will decrease and the weed seeds will be less. Usually, with annual cleanout, the N-P-K will be something like 45 pounds N, 60 pounds P2O5 and 45 pounds K2O. But it varies so a test report is useful. I'd skip the sawdust routine unless you have a windrow machine. If they use alum or PEL in the houses to control moisture, the P2O5 can be a good bit lower. 4 tons would be a mighty dose. The price sounds a little high but trucking is a big player.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Chicken Manure   Sun 31 Oct 2010, 3:47 pm

The price seems a little steep unless trucking several hundred miles. I get 30 plus ton loads delivered for $125 per load 20 miles from source. This is cage laying hen manure which would be stronger than broiler litter. Chicken manure can make grass grow on some pretty marginal ground.
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: Chicken Manure   Mon 01 Nov 2010, 12:42 am

Called the chicken farmer tonight for more info. He has never had an analysis done. The broiler houses are cleaned about every 70 days, his 2 houses produce about 300 tons each cleanout or 1500 tons a year. He said the manure is about 25% sawdust, 75% dung. He recommended applying 2-3 tons/acre using a lime spreader as the material is sort of a gray/brown dirt consistancy. The manure is piling up, he was charging $20/ton, now he will sell for $15/ton. The trucker charges $7/ton to haul it here about 50 miles.

Charles
Back to top Go down
tom-ky

PostSubject: Re: Chicken Manure   Tue 02 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm

We paid $27.50 for 1.5 tons per acre with them spreading it. This came out of layer houses, it tested about 40-40-40
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Chicken Manure   Wed 03 Nov 2010, 11:55 am

If the houses are cleaned out every 70 days there will not be much nutrient value if a good base of sawdust goes in after every flock unless he is running a cruster and you are mainly buying cakes.
Back to top Go down

Chicken Manure

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner ::  :: -