Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Weaning methods

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shilow angus

PostSubject: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

We tried fence line weaning for a few years ....Cows and calves bawled for a week or to hoarse to bawl. This year we hauled them to another farm out of hearing. Cows bawled 2 days third day gone back to moutain pasture.Calves bawled about 4 days none got hoarse. Could the experts be wrong ?
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Weaned some calves this past weekend. Laid in bed the other night listing to all the bawling, wondering the same thing. I had to turn on the kid's radios because they couldn't sleep. But now it seems as though things are starting to calm down.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Because most of the pastures in my area have only 3 wire fences-a few 4 wire- fenceline weaning is not much of an alternative unless I wanted to put in added cost/work-- which I don't....

We usually ship/sell the steer calves and the heifers we're selling straight off the cow-- and the same day haul the bull calves and the heifer calves we're keeping 30 miles down to the river place (where I live) and put into some acre or two lots- with good grass hay in the feeders ....And they do fine- and quiet down in a couple of days....

The one time I got caught with early really bad weather- and hauled all down together- and weaned the calves in the lots while the cows walked the perimeter-- I think the calves bellered longer than when they were just separated....

I always wanted to try those plastic weaners that go in the nose-- but again that is more labor/cost...

One thing I did find that is well worth the money-- even tho we give all the preconditioning shots weeks before weaning-- those stress tubs that are sold by Smartlic are well worth the money... The local feedlot told me they use them on all their unweaned calves they buy- and its cut way back on their death/illness losses--- takes very little per calf and since I started using them 4-5 years ago- I can't remember having a sick calf since during weaning....
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
I always wanted to try those plastic weaners that go in the nose

Shocked
What non-cattle people must think of us sometimes! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Some might consider it micro-management but I have devised a very low stress weaning method using fence-line weaning and the plastic nose-tags. We are just getting ready to wean so on Thursday i'll bring in the pairs, run the calves through the chute, booster vaccinate them, apply the nose tags and release them into a field with their mothers. I have a field especially set up with a mixture of long coarse grass and good quality grass. On Monday i'll get them in, shed off the cows and then remove the calves nose tags. The calves go into a new field right through the fence from where they were - again set up specially for them with immature, fresh grass. The cows go back into the first field and get to eat the coarse grass remaining. I add an extra fence - two single strand electrics instead of one to keep them apart. My experience is that there is absolutely no bawling from the calves - they are relieved to have the nose tags off and have good grass in front of them. The calves don't line up at the fence although once they are done grazing they will go sit through the fence from their mothers - they don't bawl at all with this system. The cows on the other hand bawl terrible for the first night - I think they are worse because the calves don't answer them. By night two it's pretty quiet and on the 3rd day the cows will be trailed away onto their fall grazing. We like to have a week or ten days of good grass for the calves and then we start to introduce feed to them out on the pasture. It's a little bit of work, a little bit of planning but it has paid dividends for us by preventing sickness in the calves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I found some pictures from last year.
Day 1 application

Day 3 getting ready for removal.

Day 4 - 24 hours away from their mothers and these calves are grazing quite content - cows are out of the picture to the left.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 am

I use the nose tags as well but I must leave them in to long as they have them for about a week and if the weather drops down below -15 I have problems with ice build up, other than that I have been happy with the results.
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

I always figured I did it wrong or something,but I don't think much of fence-line weaning.I just move the cows to some fresh grass as far from the house as I can and the whole thing seems to be over much faster.I really hate bawling cows,as most of time it means somethings wrong and it makes me nervous.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I have done across the fence weaning for years. Fence is a few strands of high tensile with 1-2 of them hot. Perfect ? No. Not unusual to have 1-3 out of 40 go through the fence but the next time they get the corral panels around them. I make sure the calves have something to eat in the lot (couple acres) they go into - usually some left over stock piled fescue which is good for them to nibble on in march/april. I guess the main reason I do not like the long distance separation is a neighbor a few years ago had a couple cows try to find their calves that were 15 miles from them. They traveled several miles before found.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I think the "original theory" was to leave the calves in the pasture and move the cows. That way the calves are in known territory and are more comfortable and the cows are used to rotation. We've done it for years without much more than 3 days of sorry, mainly nights.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 pm

I've used it for years with little trouble...5 strain barbwire and off-set hot wire...don't remember a calf ever getting out. Two things I do...
I put an older animal in with the calves...usually a grandma cow.
I have a ryegrass pasture on the opposite side of the calves' pasture from the cows...most like eating good grass rather than bawling at mama...at least in a few days. A good older lead cow makes handling the calves a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I did the fenceline weaning this year and left an older cow in also. The cow calmed the calfs down and had less bawling then the past with confinement method.
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote="RobertMac"]I've used it for years with little trouble....
I put an older animal in with the calves...usually a grandma cow.

So thats what I was doing wrong.... Smile
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 pm

The best time to wean a calf is when the Zodiac sign is in the feet (Pices) the calf will cry less.

[what I have always heard]
Back to top Go down
WJP

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I have been putting the cows in the lots with poor quality hay for about three days while the calves get a ten acre trap of ryegrass across the fence. We usually have a couple of calves that are "unweaned" the next day, but since the cows are in the lot, it is pretty easy to cut the calves back off. Used this with fairly good results the last three or four years. I throw the feed bunks and water next to the cows so the calves learn pretty quick where they need to be.

Three days in the lot and the cows couldn't be happier to get out of there.

Since I dont live at the pens, I sleep pretty good, Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 pm

We just weaned over 100 hd of hfr calves. We put them and their mamas in a 2 section pasture for 4-5 days. We stripped the calves off, weighed them, worked them, then turned back out in that same pasture. We then locked the cows up in a lot that the hfr calves could come up to, but not touch the cows. We left them in the lot for about 54 hours with water but no feed. The morning after we weaned, about a third of the calves were back up by the lot and that afternoon nearly all of them were back, but most were just laying around chewing their cud or grazing. The next morning there were only about 15 calves back and by 2 in the afternoon there was not a calf in sight. We then trailed the cows out and they left on a trot and never looked back. We trailed them a mile away to another pasture and not one of them came back to the gate bawling. They were flat over it. The calves are full, clean and don't look stressed in any way. No dust, no spooked calves hitting the fence, and not one mouth full of hay. This is the slickest way to wean that I know of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:44 am

Our weaning has always been the same we live 12 miles from our farm. I load the calves haul 9 miles weigh and sell right off the cow. The replacement heifers and bulls are sorted off at that time and hauled to my yard at the house to be wintered 12 miles from the cows.I did wean 19 calves yesterday that are in the corral at the farm. Deer season opens tomorrow am and this group of cows needed to be off the lease by then.I did'nt want to haul those cows to the farm and then not bring any calves those cows would go looking elsewhere for the calves.I did leave 3 calves at the farm to entertain the cows that were weaned on monday those calves are still bawling and the ones at home here have quit. My observation is it's best to get them to quit cold turkey. I've been grazeing standing corn for 2 weeks and did notice that these calves at home went right to feed.There's too much hoopla geared around proper weaning. Weaning is going to be a bit stressful more so for alot of the owners I think.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 am

double d wrote:
Our weaning has always been the same we live 12 miles from our farm. I load the calves haul 9 miles weigh and sell right off the cow. The replacement heifers and bulls are sorted off at that time and hauled to my yard at the house to be wintered 12 miles from the cows.I did wean 19 calves yesterday that are in the corral at the farm. Deer season opens tomorrow am and this group of cows needed to be off the lease by then.I did'nt want to haul those cows to the farm and then not bring any calves those cows would go looking elsewhere for the calves.I did leave 3 calves at the farm to entertain the cows that were weaned on monday those calves are still bawling and the ones at home here have quit. My observation is it's best to get them to quit cold turkey. I've been grazeing standing corn for 2 weeks and did notice that these calves at home went right to feed.There's too much hoopla geared around proper weaning. Weaning is going to be a bit stressful more so for alot of the owners I think.
selling a bawling calf here is a nickel dock in price at the yards..and your experience? Also, please describe in more detail your grazing of standing corn when you can..thanks...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:44 am

MKeeney wrote:
double d wrote:
selling a bawling calf here is a nickel dock in price at the yards..and your experience? Also, please describe in more detail your grazing of standing corn when you can..thanks...

Here we've got a rancher owned scale yard and we as members market our calves privately we gather haul them 9 miles weigh them and reload on trucks to the feedlot.This scaleyard was established in the 60's and alot of our buyers have been coming here for 20 to 30 years.My plan was to wean and feed these calves awhile longer but I got a decent offer right off the cow so thats the route I went. I do have 30 bull calves 40 heifers and about 10 smaller calves.

As far as the corn grazeing goes we left about 15 acres standing I struck the field leaveing 16 rows standing running down 3 rows and chopping 2 .I ended up with 7 or 8 of these strips a 1/4 mile long plus a couple smaller crooked patches around the trees and pond. The plan was to pull hotwires and limit them but as time ran short we put 55 pair in on Oct 23rd 45 pair on Oct 27th and another 22 cows Nov 2nd.Another 30 cows will stay on hay fields until thanksgiving. The cows have access to all of the corn plus some wooded pasture. Two of the cows put in on the 27th were kind of tipsy on Nov 1st when we weaned but I rode thru them the next day and they were fine.Most likely over ate a bit. We rent alot of ground owned by deer hunters and lost our late fall pasture two years ago.Deer season opens Nov 7th and these guys want the cows gone 1,2,3 and up to 4 weeks prior to opening day. I did'nt see much sense in chopping the corn just so I could start feeding them. This will buy me about a month with out chores and no diesel fuel expense in harvesting,feeding or manure spreading.Another plus the weaned calves went right to feed.I would guess the corn at a 100 buschel an acre the guy who bought the calves looked at it and thought more like 150 buschel. I will get my fenceing in order and next fall will graze alot more a little at a time.I plant carry over seed which is purchased reasonable,no commercial fertilizer just cow manure next year I am going to use some commercial fertilizer.Swamp grass and silage makes good cow feed.If I did'nt chop any of it I think I could graze corn until Feb 1st thats the plan for next year.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 pm

double d wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
double d wrote:

Here we've got a rancher owned scale yard and we as members market our calves privately we gather haul them 9 miles weigh them and reload on trucks to the feedlot.This scaleyard was established in the 60's and alot of our buyers have been coming here for 20 to 30 years.My plan was to wean and feed these calves awhile longer but I got a decent offer right off the cow so thats the route I went. I do have 30 bull calves 40 heifers and about 10 smaller calves.

As far as the corn grazeing goes we left about 15 acres standing I struck the field leaveing 16 rows standing running down 3 rows and chopping 2 .I ended up with 7 or 8 of these strips a 1/4 mile long plus a couple smaller crooked patches around the trees and pond. The plan was to pull hotwires and limit them but as time ran short we put 55 pair in on Oct 23rd 45 pair on Oct 27th and another 22 cows Nov 2nd.Another 30 cows will stay on hay fields until thanksgiving. The cows have access to all of the corn plus some wooded pasture. Two of the cows put in on the 27th were kind of tipsy on Nov 1st when we weaned but I rode thru them the next day and they were fine.Most likely over ate a bit. We rent alot of ground owned by deer hunters and lost our late fall pasture two years ago.Deer season opens Nov 7th and these guys want the cows gone 1,2,3 and up to 4 weeks prior to opening day. I did'nt see much sense in chopping the corn just so I could start feeding them. This will buy me about a month with out chores and no diesel fuel expense in harvesting,feeding or manure spreading.Another plus the weaned calves went right to feed.I would guess the corn at a 100 buschel an acre the guy who bought the calves looked at it and thought more like 150 buschel. I will get my fenceing in order and next fall will graze alot more a little at a time.I plant carry over seed which is purchased reasonable,no commercial fertilizer just cow manure next year I am going to use some commercial fertilizer.Swamp grass and silage makes good cow feed.If I did'nt chop any of it I think I could graze corn until Feb 1st thats the plan for next year.
location?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:10 pm

MKeeney wrote:
double d wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
double d wrote:

location?

North Central Minnesota 150 miles north west of Minneapolis
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:35 pm

something like grazing corn or stockpiled grass would not work here...too much snow; so say the oldtimers Smile
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:45 pm

MKeeney wrote:
something like grazing corn or stockpiled grass would not work here...too much snow; so say the oldtimers Smile

I know little about corn....50 years ago I remember my Dad and Uncles putting up corn for silage and packing it in the pit for silage with an old D-8 Cat....

This year my cousin- who I have farming some of the irrigated bottomland on shares (because I hate iron) - put in corn on some neighboring land- and combined it last week (said it made 120 bushel an acre- which he was pleased with) and then baled the "straw"....

Thinks I should try putting it in on 40-80 acres of my place next year if corn prices hold Question
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

I know little about corn....50 years ago I remember my Dad and Uncles putting up corn for silage and packing it in the pit for silage with an old D-8 Cat....

This year my cousin- who I have farming some of the irrigated bottomland on shares (because I hate iron) - put in corn on some neighboring land- and combined it last week (said it made 120 bushel an acre- which he was pleased with) and then baled the "straw"....

Thinks I should try putting it in on 40-80 acres of my place next year if corn prices hold Question
i should have specified..ky oldtimers Smile
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Same problem here - can't be done - too much snow:) My neighbors all fired up their bale processors around November 1st setting in for a 7 month siege. We have just moved our weaned cows to their winter pasture. Got two and a half months of banked grazing to go unless we get iced over. Got another month or so set aside for calving/early pasture in the spring before new growth starts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weaning methods   

Back to top Go down

Weaning methods
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Pasture and Range management :: Winter grazing practices-
Jump to: