Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Freshmen Year of Cow College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:45 pm

GF, our customers prefer we avoid GMO based feeds. That is my personal preference also.

Dylan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 pm

For all I know I'm already feeding it. I've never asked. Do you think it will be an honest issue or just an emotional issue? I don't really know. We'll probably feed it if it's cheap. Very Happy

Jack in the vicinity of to GMO or not to GMO.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Its the "cheap" and "not knowing" part I'm real leery of Jack. My first job on leaving school was batching a calf mix we made to my Grandpas 1930s recipe. Rolled oats, barley, linseed cake, palm kernel meal and fishmeal. After a while it became easier and "cheaper" to buy manufactured cake based on barley + added goodies, then it changed again to less barley and a concoction of baddies. All the meat and bone meal crap, rendered fat, waste from biscuit factories etc etc.
Then along came our friend BSE, spread by this "cheap" feed.
Didn't work out so cheap when all is said and done. This GMO stuff worries me, mainly the glyphosate accumulation, I'd rather not feed it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:53 am

Grassfarmer, what is GMO?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
Grassfarmer, what is GMO?
A "genetically modified organism" or more correctly in my book - an artificially genetically modified organism.
Back to top Go down
Austin Risty

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Grassfarmer

What do you call all the glyphosphate resistant plants and weeds? They have genetically modified themselves. I have seen alfalfa 10 years ago that was resistant.

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Austin Risty wrote:
Grassfarmer

What do you call all the glyphosphate resistant plants and weeds? They have genetically modified themselves. I have seen alfalfa 10 years ago that was resistant.

Austin, I'm no expert on this but I think the genetically modified organisms are in a different category to your common or garden weeds that develop resistance to herbicides. You get wild oats that are resistant to spray because the farmer sprayed them at half the proper rate, wild oats are not resistant to roundup or the other glyphosates though. These GMO developed crops have a gene introduced into them in the lab so that they cannot be killed by glyphosate which allows the farmer to spray with roundup and kill all the other plants in the field. So I don't believe the plants you are seeing have, or would ever be, able to "genetically modify" themselves to resist the effect of glyphosate. I think what you are seeing is the spread of GMO crops by wind, birds, deer etc and that is contaminating non GMO crops which then looks like you are seeing plants in your field "developing" resistance.

GF - Quitting before Monsanto sever my internet connection Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    

Back to top Go down

Freshmen Year of Cow College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2