Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Freshmen Year of Cow College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

We winter our heifer calves out on grass and cake them through most of the winter if the weather stays hlf way good. Caking these heifer calves is the job I most enjoy. They're just cool little cows and their enthusiasm for life is contagious.

















Back to top Go down
Austin Risty



Posts : 3
Join date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Jack the heifers look great. Are alot of these out of Clank? Looks like you need some snow

Austin, in the vicinity of wind again
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 302
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:26 pm

After last years winter I love the open winter we are getting--- and I love snoopy heifers!! While I have no where near that amount- and mine run with my cows that are grazing and getting some hay-- its fun to go out with the pickup or even the 4-wheeler - with a bucket of cake and be surrounded by all the cows/heifers looking for that "cow candy" and it doesn't take long before those heifer calves learn its there too....

A year or so ago my son came home from the Cole Creek sale with some heifers- and one (Cole Creek Juanada Rita 69W 16453096 )
worried me mainly because of what I had heard about High Mountain/Great Plains docility... I had to keep those and the Whitney Creeks we bought lotted for a couple of weeks til the weather got nice where we could brand them and turn them out-- and after walking thru them a few times a day- with pockets stuffed with cake- she became the biggest cakaholic of the bunch.... Now if you drive thru them or on a 4-wheeler shes one that can see you from a 1/2 mile away...

After I took this picture I had to call Greg up and tell him the worries I'd had- and how all I got was worry lines for nothing..



And also one of the quietest heifers when she calved... I kept this little feller as a spare bull- Lazy Bar B West Fork 5BY #17049647
..May not need him next year- or may use the heck out of him- (may use him next year) but always like a spare- and while he wasn't the highest performance one- he sure is nice looking and just as quiet as I want..




And I echo the previous thoughts- How is Clank- and his calves doing?








Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4007
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
We winter our heifer calves out on grass and cake them through most of the winter if the weather stays hlf way good. Caking these heifer calves is the job I most enjoy. They're just cool little cows and their enthusiasm for life is contagious.


















beautiful country Jack; what a backdrop for "Gathering Number Two"...the "committee" has tentatively agreed
on Miles City as the gathering place on August 10 and 11...on the afternoon of the 10th, we hope to tour/study
the Line One Herefords; a 75 year closed herd breeding project; plus there may be other areas of interest at the research center
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=3087
Saturday mid- morning until whenever , Jack and family will be our host...mark your calenders; plan your vacations accordingly...I`m hoping
the Tom and Joey Show will provide the Friday night after dinner entertainment...this is very early planning, but people have already been asking...stay tuned for changes and confirmation...mk
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 am

Mike, That all sounds good. We will be looking forward to it and to seeing everyone. I especially want to let my Canuck friends know that even with all the back and forth over R-CALF that they are very welcome here and I promise not to talk politics (too much).

Tom, If your coming for branding, you might just as well stay here til the gathering. How are you at fencing?

Austin, I don't have a clue what any of these heifers are out of. I'm slow sending in the DNA stuff this year.

OT, The Clanks I have I like just fine and again I think they will be a nice piece to our puzzle but nothing more. Nice heifer that you got from Greg. Typical Cole Creek female.

Jack, in the vicinity of hopin we don't get one of those bone dry, grasshopper infested years, but if we do I guess people need to see that side of our world too.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am

Jack, thank you for the great pics.

No doubt caking those heifers is your favorite job!

Beautiful country, and an open winter that is currently a blessing.....an a bunch of healthy happy heifers.

Appreciate the invite as a Canuck, that might get me some more demerits from Glutes of Rock(TD) but I can take it. Laughing

If you don't mind, what is the main ingredient of your cake and what is the cost?

DB, thinking of skull cracking glutes at every turn.

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 714
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks Jack, I promise to behave myself when in the vicinity. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 482
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
Mike, That all sounds good. We will be looking forward to it and to seeing everyone. I especially want to let my Canuck friends know that even with all the back and forth over R-CALF that they are very welcome here and I promise not to talk politics (too much).

Tom, If your coming for branding, you might just as well stay here til the gathering. How are you at fencing?

Austin, I don't have a clue what any of these heifers are out of. I'm slow sending in the DNA stuff this year.

OT, The Clanks I have I like just fine and again I think they will be a nice piece to our puzzle but nothing more. Nice heifer that you got from Greg. Typical Cole Creek female.

Jack, in the vicinity of hopin we don't get one of those bone dry, grasshopper infested years, but if we do I guess people need to see that side of our world too.

Jack,

I am quite skilled at fencing, in fact Sir Gregory and I recently won the doubles match at our country club. I finished the final bout in grand fashion with a spectacular parry and lunge.........oh, you mean like barb wire? I ain't worth a shit at that, I just stand around and smoke cigarettes with Larry and wait for Ben to do it.

TD
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Tom D wrote:
Jack McNamee wrote:
Mike, That all sounds good. We will be looking forward to it and to seeing everyone. I especially want to let my Canuck friends know that even with all the back and forth over R-CALF that they are very welcome here and I promise not to talk politics (too much).

Tom, If your coming for branding, you might just as well stay here til the gathering. How are you at fencing?

Austin, I don't have a clue what any of these heifers are out of. I'm slow sending in the DNA stuff this year.

OT, The Clanks I have I like just fine and again I think they will be a nice piece to our puzzle but nothing more. Nice heifer that you got from Greg. Typical Cole Creek female.

Jack, in the vicinity of hopin we don't get one of those bone dry, grasshopper infested years, but if we do I guess people need to see that side of our world too.

Jack,

I just stand around and smoke cigarettes with Larry and wait for Ben to do it.

TD

Skull Crusher, why don't I find that hard to believe?

DB
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Dylan, That cake is 50% alfalfa hay and 50% grain, I think. It is made here locally by a family named Muggli and it changes a little from year to year. The grain is barley, peas, and wheat last I knew. I've fed it so long I don't even ask anymore what is in it. I lived by these people for a short while and they are as good as they get so I just get whatever they make. It runs around 20% protein (18-22%) and it's costing $225 a ton at the plant. It is the best cake I've ever fed and we feed it to everything from calves to saddle horses. Even the dogs will eat it if they find a piece layin around. They won't use any junk. No screenings or sweepings or junk of any kind. Great people, great product at a very reasonable price. My kind of people.

Jack, in the vicinity of Muggli Brothers Cow Chow.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Dylan, I'm a Muggli Brothers patron also, its the best.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Jack, those little cows sure have the look of a range cow. What mama didn't teach them I sure bet they are learning now. I think the way you are developing them is awesome. Your winter grass sure looks good this year. Here we will take a good grass year over a good market year anytime. This is the first time in recent memory that we've had both at the same time. Sure makes it easy to love what we do.
Dennis, what are they charging you to lay that cake in if you don't mind me asking?

Ben, In the vicinity.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
Dylan, I'm a Muggli Brothers patron also, its the best.


Well. That solves the question that has been plaguing my mind for weeks. I thought Dennis had lost the ability to communicate an any form but visual. I talked to his Vet, Banker, Broker, Pastor, Parole Officer, and Psychologist, and they were frustrated as hell. Not everyone understands a Mime. I just don't know why they called me.


Bootheel, diggin' Jack's pictures where women do all the work too.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am

Jack, I am thinking we should have an arranged marriage between my son and your daughter, what kind of dowry can you come up with?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 am

Well that daughter is Clarance and she is already married but my youngest daughter Sarah is still very much unattached and she and Ian and Tom's daughter all look to be about the same age. I think that an arranged marriage is a great idea and Ian and Sarah would be a great match. Now for the dowry. hummmm. How about a classic 1994 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab pickup with a 460 engine with less than 225,000 miles on it. I'll even throw in a cake feeder if they promise to live here and 2, count them 2 tanks of gas.

Jack, just wondering how Ian is at fencing and I don't mean the thrust and perry kind of fencing.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 am

Tom D wrote:

Jack,

I am quite skilled at fencing, in fact Sir Gregory and I recently won the doubles match at our country club. I finished the final bout in grand fashion with a spectacular parry and lunge.........oh, you mean like barb wire? I ain't worth a shit at that, I just stand around and smoke cigarettes with Larry and wait for Ben to do it.

TD

See thats my job. Thats the problem. I can find lots of people to do my job but no one to fence and Ben is not gettin around to this nearly fast enough. In fact I've been waiting several years and still no Ben and now with his dad laid up I'm sure he won't have time for this shit maybe ever.

Jack, I think I'll put my hopes on Ian.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:29 am

Ben, 254.00/ton in here, 25 ton loads, every part of the co. run by a Muggli, you are what you eat, I eat it, Hap eats it, sheep eat it, colts eat it, calves get on it fast if you cake pairs a few times before you wean. I eat it to lose wt. after Christmas, DV in the vicinity
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Well that daughter is Clarance and she is already married but my youngest daughter Sarah is still very much unattached and she and Ian and Tom's daughter all look to be about the same age. I think that an arranged marriage is a great idea and Ian and Sarah would be a great match. Now for the dowry. hummmm. How about a classic 1994 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab pickup with a 460 engine with less than 225,000 miles on it. I'll even throw in a cake feeder if they promise to live here and 2, count them 2 tanks of gas.

Jack, just wondering how Ian is at fencing and I don't mean the thrust and perry kind of fencing.

The kid has several miles of fence under his belt. I think that they should vacation there and live here though.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am

How much cake do you feed / head?
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you Jack and Dennis for those #'s. A reliable supplier of a good quality product is always a bonus. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 714
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
Dylan, That cake is 50% alfalfa hay and 50% grain, I think. It is made here locally by a family named Muggli and it changes a little from year to year. The grain is barley, peas, and wheat last I knew. I've fed it so long I don't even ask anymore what is in it. I lived by these people for a short while and they are as good as they get so I just get whatever they make. It runs around 20% protein (18-22%) and it's costing $225 a ton at the plant. It is the best cake I've ever fed and we feed it to everything from calves to saddle horses. Even the dogs will eat it if they find a piece layin around. They won't use any junk. No screenings or sweepings or junk of any kind. Great people, great product at a very reasonable price. My kind of people.

Jack, in the vicinity of Muggli Brothers Cow Chow.


So what would the energy level be of that pellet be Jack? The best thing I've found here is wheat short pellets which are consistent from load to load and free of junk. They are @17% protein and the TDN is around 78% and were $205 a ton delivered in November, likely $220 now.
Once the GM alfalfa takes over will Muggli Bros pellets still be "junk" free?
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am

Greg, I'm feeding my heifer calves about 5 pounds a day right now and just for the record I have started feeding them a little hay. About 4 pounds is all they will clean up. We have some 2 and 3 yr old hay that I will feed up instead of feeding more cake. Steer calves are getting 3 pounds but more hay. About 8 pounds of 2 yr old hay. I'm feeding my coming 3's 10 pounds every other day and my old cows 8 pounds every other day and one old retired saddle horse is eating 30 pounds a day. I think we'll eat him at this years gathering, aula Dennis Voss.

GF I tested some of this cake years ago but I have forgotten what the EN and TDN is on it. It's better feed than it says it is on paper, I do know that. Don't know what you mean by GM alfalfa being junk so I don't know how to answer that question. It has the feel of a political question. Soooo, hows the Hockey season going? How about them Canucks?

Jack, in the vicinity of not talking politics or religion.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 482
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:09 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Greg, I'm feeding my heifer calves about 5 pounds a day right now and just for the record I have started feeding them a little hay. About 4 pounds is all they will clean up. We have some 2 and 3 yr old hay that I will feed up instead of feeding more cake. Steer calves are getting 3 pounds but more hay. About 8 pounds of 2 yr old hay. I'm feeding my coming 3's 10 pounds every other day and my old cows 8 pounds every other day and one old retired saddle horse is eating 30 pounds a day. I think we'll eat him at this years gathering, aula Dennis Voss.

GF I tested some of this cake years ago but I have forgotten what the EN and TDN is on it. It's better feed than it says it is on paper, I do know that. Don't know what you mean by GM alfalfa being junk so I don't know how to answer that question. It has the feel of a political question. Soooo, hows the Hockey season going? How about them Canucks?

Jack, in the vicinity of not talking politics or religion.

I've been wondering about that, Jack. Were they? I remember they were good, I remember Grover really liked 'em. But I also remember having a few Coronas out of the horse tank, so I can't be sure. PM me Jack, and let me know one way or the other.

TD, figuring out a use for Dad's percherons.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Greg, I'm feeding my heifer calves about 5 pounds a day right now and just for the record I have started feeding them a little hay. About 4 pounds is all they will clean up. We have some 2 and 3 yr old hay that I will feed up instead of feeding more cake. Steer calves are getting 3 pounds but more hay. About 8 pounds of 2 yr old hay. I'm feeding my coming 3's 10 pounds every other day and my old cows 8 pounds every other day and one old retired saddle horse is eating 30 pounds a day. I think we'll eat him at this years gathering, aula Dennis Voss.

GF I tested some of this cake years ago but I have forgotten what the EN and TDN is on it. It's better feed than it says it is on paper, I do know that. Don't know what you mean by GM alfalfa being junk so I don't know how to answer that question. It has the feel of a political question. Soooo, hows the Hockey season going? How about them Canucks?

Jack, in the vicinity of not talking politics or religion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wise man!

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 714
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 am

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Jack McNamee wrote:
Greg, I'm feeding my heifer calves about 5 pounds a day right now and just for the record I have started feeding them a little hay. About 4 pounds is all they will clean up. We have some 2 and 3 yr old hay that I will feed up instead of feeding more cake. Steer calves are getting 3 pounds but more hay. About 8 pounds of 2 yr old hay. I'm feeding my coming 3's 10 pounds every other day and my old cows 8 pounds every other day and one old retired saddle horse is eating 30 pounds a day. I think we'll eat him at this years gathering, aula Dennis Voss.

GF I tested some of this cake years ago but I have forgotten what the EN and TDN is on it. It's better feed than it says it is on paper, I do know that. Don't know what you mean by GM alfalfa being junk so I don't know how to answer that question. It has the feel of a political question. Soooo, hows the Hockey season going? How about them Canucks?

Jack, in the vicinity of not talking politics or religion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wise man!


Not a political question by any means, just wondered as a cattle breeder if you would be comfortable feeding GMO derived materials to your cattle. How about you Dylan how would feeding GMO based feed to your cattle sit with your retail beef customers? Just wondering if this major change to the production system of a staple like alfalfa is something that concerns producers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Freshmen Year of Cow College    

Back to top Go down
 
Freshmen Year of Cow College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 2011 Arrived... HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!!
» New Year's Resolution (Welcome 2011)
» unemployed for over a year
» Kids have croup still! My two year old came down with it last night!
» Validity of the Bidding done last year

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: farm and ranch life-
Jump to: