Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Mark Day



Posts : 251
Join date : 2010-09-24
Age : 51
Location : Russellville, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 am

Mike,

How many of your customers are employed by Walmart?
Back to top Go down
EddieM



Posts : 980
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Sounds like local corruption, too. The local dollar store around here pays finder fees of $1000 if you find them a location that meets their criteria. County government give long term tax deferal to incoming businesses. As the county's total assessed value of improvements and property are increased, the additional and new taxable base is then divided across the residents and businesses that were already there. Only half pay national income tax. So, where do you draw the line on right and wrong?

Reminds me of a savant that walked the streets in Kingstree, SC. He "sold" insuranace by scribbling on a pad without being able to write. Walked at an odd awkward gait around town. Folks watched out for him, his pad and his leather briefcase. One day the phone company was burying a concrete vault to connect the east coast fiber optic line from NY to FL. He marched out the the location of the digging of the big hole and asked, "Wha' yo' doin'?" One of the phone guys who knew him said, "We're digging a big hole and are going to bury every SOB in Kingstree." The savant thought for a few seconds and said, "Who gonna cover 'em up?"

So where do you draw the line in the sand?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
Like you OT I don't go there on principle so it was an interesting glimpse into how the other half live affraid
I'm kind of uneasy with Mikes mention of Walmart in among his brilliant promotional material. There is a parasitic element to Walmart in my mind, a feeling of people being screwed in the process and tying that in with their undoubted financial success that has seen them become the overwhelming sector leader just makes them seem too much like the mainstream purebred cattle sector to me. Maybe their CEOs could drive the Beef Industry Inc. to new levels but I think I'd rather shop at the mom and pop store, run by good salt of the earth people Smile

by parasitic element, do you mean, if you lazass around and want to do things the old traditional registered way selling BS and riding on someone elses glory with a papered con connection, I or Wal-Mart is going to devour your ass, then you got it right... Smile

No that's not at all what I mean by parasitic. What I'm referring to, and admittedly it's based more on my knowledge of Tesco a European version of Walmart than Walmart itself, is the total lack of ethics and basic human decency. Shady land deals where the company acquires property to build on by paying backhanders to local councillors to grant them planning approval and denying the same to competitors. I have no time for entities that use their scale to bully and use illegal practices to further their own gains, Monsanto is another because they can bankrupt anyone that dares challenge them in court regardless of the rights or wrongs of the court case. I like competition too and think it is part of a healthy business environment. Having zero concern over the welfare of the workers in a far off land that produce the products that generate the profit in their store is not something I support. A couple of cents to a worker in the third world sometimes makes the difference between eating and going hungry and i won't support the multibillion dollar profit business in the west that does that because its unnecessary, unethical greed. In the purebred cattle world the guys that try to make themselves the apex predators tend to leave a sour taste - think Leachmans, Pharo...
when I think Leachman , Pharo, I think BS, not Genetic Value...if, and when, you put government in it`s proper small place, there`s no plannng committee for Wal-mart to buy off...too many laws, too few principled lawmakers...lawlessors is what we need...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 pm

EddieM wrote:
Odd that folks want to talk about time efficiency, dollar efficiency (economical), feed efficiency, grazing efficiency, $E and efficient cattle and then they despise efficiency in business. OT, you missed out on the "occupy Wall Street" chance a few months ago. Maybe you can make up for it and go to Mike's sale and occupy a chair and make them all mad by buying all of the offerings. Or if you really want to make an impact with an occupation, just lock yourself in the only he/she bathroom in a busy location! Take something to read. DV, I'd rather not have a artist's rendition of OT occuping the he/she! Thanks.

Ironically- talking of urinals- the last time I crossed thru their doors and contributed to a Walmart was about 15 years ago- when I hit Billings right at noon hour rush traffic after a 4 hour trip of drinking coffee and Diet Pepsi-- and the only parking space I could find was right in front of a Walmart... Not thinking the Billings folks would appreciate me going behind the pickup like we can do up here in Gods country - I ran in- used their facility and made my last contribution to Walmart- and left.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
Like you OT I don't go there on principle so it was an interesting glimpse into how the other half live affraid
I'm kind of uneasy with Mikes mention of Walmart in among his brilliant promotional material. There is a parasitic element to Walmart in my mind, a feeling of people being screwed in the process and tying that in with their undoubted financial success that has seen them become the overwhelming sector leader just makes them seem too much like the mainstream purebred cattle sector to me. Maybe their CEOs could drive the Beef Industry Inc. to new levels but I think I'd rather shop at the mom and pop store, run by good salt of the earth people Smile

by parasitic element, do you mean, if you lazass around and want to do things the old traditional registered way selling BS and riding on someone elses glory with a papered con connection, I or Wal-Mart is going to devour your ass, then you got it right... Smile

No that's not at all what I mean by parasitic. What I'm referring to, and admittedly it's based more on my knowledge of Tesco a European version of Walmart than Walmart itself, is the total lack of ethics and basic human decency. Shady land deals where the company acquires property to build on by paying backhanders to local councillors to grant them planning approval and denying the same to competitors. I have no time for entities that use their scale to bully and use illegal practices to further their own gains, Monsanto is another because they can bankrupt anyone that dares challenge them in court regardless of the rights or wrongs of the court case. I like competition too and think it is part of a healthy business environment. Having zero concern over the welfare of the workers in a far off land that produce the products that generate the profit in their store is not something I support. A couple of cents to a worker in the third world sometimes makes the difference between eating and going hungry and i won't support the multibillion dollar profit business in the west that does that because its unnecessary, unethical greed. In the purebred cattle world the guys that try to make themselves the apex predators tend to leave a sour taste - think Leachmans, Pharo...
when I think Leachman , Pharo, I think BS, not Genetic Value...if, and when, you put government in it`s proper small place, there`s no plannng committee for Wal-mart to buy off...too many laws, too few principled lawmakers...lawlessors is what we need...

So the problem people have with Wal-Mart is Goverment interference in the work place, of which the Government is merely an extension of the people, that the people have chosen to guide their wishes. Which all leads me to believe what your really saying is we just need less people or at least less people; that believe they need more people to rule over them.


Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 912
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:45 pm

MKeeney wrote:
....if, and when, you put government in it`s proper small place, there`s no plannng committee for Wal-mart to buy off...too many laws, too few principled lawmakers...lawlessors is what we need...

Agreed.

“The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerated the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power.”
Franklin D Roosevelt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 pm

First he learned all the rules. Then he broke all the rules which did not make sense to him—which meant almost all of them.
—Richard S. Tedlow




http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/2375.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm

And i am just hoping no one has that song on on a cd or tape.
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt



Posts : 169
Join date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Well Mike, I've decided that anyone that draws and actually takes pictures of urinals must be a wee wee bit odd..... and anyone criticizing the philosophy of MK's big smiley day April 7 for following the simple Walmart way must be a very very confused liberal. Smile

Very confused liberals tend to strew things about with diversionary self-rightous tactics driven by class warfare. They cannot see what makes the world turn tryin' to stop the unstoppable. From what we all see, they can only see how ruthless survival of the fittest can be which was born out of necessity. They don't seem to see that helping the helpless cannot be by rendering ones ownself helpless.

Sam didn't run anyone out of business, his customers did "who voted with their feet". So I see Sam Walton as being a very small fish in a large open sea, in admiration of how Sam grew by feeding rather than eating the other small fish in the sea who swarmed around him.....unlike the gluttonous predators who ultimately starve out of greed, death being the great equalizer as life goes on.

So, congratulations Mr. Mike Keeney for successfully growing for 50 years by drawing a line between feeding a need and gluttonous greed in Smileyville, KY ....and for offering free urinal service to OT whenever he is in need of relief, wondering if he wore a smiley on his face either going in or out Smile

LL in the vicinity of a Super Walmart free parking lot especially designed for odd and handicapped people.

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 912
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 am

Larry Leonhardt wrote:

Sam didn't run anyone out of business, his customers did "who voted with their feet".

Yeah, and in the video they mostly look like people who make good choices Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Larry Leonhardt wrote:

Sam didn't run anyone out of business, his customers did "who voted with their feet".

Yeah, and in the video they mostly look like people who make good choices Smile

Laughing Laughing And when you live 200-300 miles from anything that can even be called a city- or a Walmart- you learn how important your local business's are and how nice it is to keep those Mom and Pop type stores operating....
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt



Posts : 169
Join date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:04 am

Oldtimer wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
Larry Leonhardt wrote:

Sam didn't run anyone out of business, his customers did "who voted with their feet".

Yeah, and in the video they mostly look like people who make good choices Smile

Laughing Laughing And when you live 200-300 miles from anything that can even be called a city- or a Walmart- you learn how important your local business's are and how nice it is to keep those Mom and Pop type stores operating....

GF, I'm getting a hint of class warfare Smile ....and OT, I surely agree it is important to support local business's who's convenience nicely helps ourselves......the same way the 3900 Walmart stores and its customers help support each other.....whether we like it or not.
Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:24 am

one must watch walmart as they are much like the registered business with smoke and mirrors. Look at the weight of can goods and other products in walmart versus other stores. Sure walmart sells for less but you are buying less product.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:32 am

Larry, the greatest fear of liberals is they know they are just a government check away from becoming a Walmart greeter...but I certainly don`t have any vision on the scale of Walmart...all I see is an ABC or Tru-line store within 300 miles of every cattleman; each owned and run independently, creating their genetics suitable for their area based on natural law and Tru-line principles, with access to the entire company genetic nucleus at cost, marketed based on Walmart principles and tied directly to commercial prices...whether or not a company store could hire some of the registered bullshitters we put out of business as greeters, would be decided on a case by case basis...envy, second only to greed as a deadly sin, would make this a questionable policy...but properly rehabed from the traditioned registered drugs, there might be a chance, and would be a humanatarian gesture on our part...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 am

patb wrote:
one must watch walmart as they are much like the registered business with smoke and mirrors. Look at the weight of can goods and other products in walmart versus other stores. Sure walmart sells for less but you are buying less product.

so Walmart tells each of these suppliers below to make their cans for Walmart "lite"?
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Canned-Goods-Soups/Canned-Vegetables/_/N-8zc7?ic=48_0&ref=+419047&catNavId=976785

what particular product did you discover being "lightweight"?
a quick check says you might need to be more careful at a "health food" store...
stewed tomatoes
heartwise store...14.5 oz ...$2.79
buycheaper.com...14.5 oz...$1.79
Walmart...............14.5 oz..$1.12
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 589
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:42 am

Mike, this year I was thinking we could get some t-shirts made. Maybe something along these lines:

http://youtu.be/4KrjQqIXHdU
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox



Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-11-17
Age : 64
Location : Goessel, Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 am

I have worked for almost 15 years in acute pediatric care in Indiana's two largest health care systems. I have provided care for the worlds richest and poorest children. The similarities between the richest and poorest are striking...there is nothing to envy about either group.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am

outsidethebox wrote:
I have worked for almost 15 years in acute pediatric care in Indiana's two largest health care systems. I have provided care for the worlds richest and poorest children. The similarities between the richest and poorest are striking...there is nothing to envy about either group.

I have had a dollar in my pocket and have had nothing and i have survived both. A long the way I found that I was just a man.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 am

MKeeney wrote:
patb wrote:
one must watch walmart as they are much like the registered business with smoke and mirrors. Look at the weight of can goods and other products in walmart versus other stores. Sure walmart sells for less but you are buying less product.

so Walmart tells each of these suppliers below to make their cans for Walmart "lite"?
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Canned-Goods-Soups/Canned-Vegetables/_/N-8zc7?ic=48_0&ref=+419047&catNavId=976785

what particular product did you discover being "lightweight"?
a quick check says you might need to be more careful at a "health food" store...
stewed tomatoes
heartwise store...14.5 oz ...$2.79
buycheaper.com...14.5 oz...$1.79
Walmart...............14.5 oz..$1.12

is the same thing that makes a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes double the price some places other than at Walmart; the same reason why a SAV Bismark can vary even more %wise depending on who is selling one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Angus 62



Posts : 145
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 am

The town where we do most of our shopping has two other smaller grocery stores besides a Super Walmart. If you were to spend the time and watch the sales offered you could avoid Walmart completely and not spend a great deal more for groceries and in the case of meat have a much better product. What Walmart offers is the ability to go shopping and be completely brain dead - which appeals to a great many consumers today Sad
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 589
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Angus 62 wrote:
What Walmart offers is the ability to go shopping and be completely brain dead - which appeals to a great many consumers today Sad

I don't see why that is necessarily a bad thing, I've got enough shit to worry about without trying to figure out where I'm going to save 50 cents on my next tube of toothpaste. I could waste my time going from store to store picking the bargains, or I could buy my brand name basics at Wal-Mart and know that over time, on average, I will be spending less.

This is where Mike's cattle comparison comes in. If you are a commercial cattleman, you might be better off being "brain dead" and sticking with a trusted genetic provider to provide you a consistent product over time for a low, stable price, than shopping around and buying an inconsistent product that you perceive as a "value".

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Wai-Marts only crime is to give people what they want.
Back to top Go down
Angus 62



Posts : 145
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I disagree guys. Walmart is all about driving out any competition. After they do that they can pretty much do what they want - offer less choices which is what was done locally. Had a small quick lube place that was pretty good and certainly more knowledgeable than the Wally World staff but not enough business. For all I know Walmart looses money on oil changes but makes up for it buy having a captive customer wandering around with kids that can find no end to the amount of junk they nag Mom to buy.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 912
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Larry Leonhardt wrote:

Very confused liberals tend to strew things about with diversionary self-rightous tactics driven by class warfare. They cannot see what makes the world turn tryin' to stop the unstoppable. From what we all see, they can only see how ruthless survival of the fittest can be which was born out of necessity. They don't seem to see that helping the helpless cannot be by rendering ones ownself helpless.

So, congratulations Mr. Mike Keeney for successfully growing for 50 years by drawing a line between feeding a need and gluttonous greed in Smileyville, KY


Larry I'm maybe confused but I don't think I'm a liberal but it makes a change from being labelled a communist in Alberta Smile I was a proud Conservative, free market believer when I decided to leave Scotland which with impending independence risks turning into a socialist republic. Moving to Alberta, a land of oil and cowboys with a ruling 40 year "Conservative" dynasty I thought I'd be comfortable in a free market driven, capitalist society. Man, was I ever wrong on that score.
In recent years the Government has passed legislation that gives the cabinet absolute authority to revoke an individuals property titles, water rights, marriage licences with the stroke of a pen, with no right to compensation and no recourse to the law courts.
Another current issue here involves the deregulation of our electricity supply which was supposed to lead to cheaper power for citizens. Well my last bill totalled 21cents per KWH in one of the most energy abundant areas of the world so the "roll back" pricing doesn't seem to be working on that one. And it gets worse... Government approval was recently given to build two massive new power lines in Alberta - at public expense. We are the only jurisdiction in the western world that has approved such spending of public funds without a needs assessment. The story is that these are needed to prevent blackouts in Calgary yet in the wiring schematics of the plan the lines go straight past Calgary heading to the US. So the Government has approved power lines being built to export power generated in the Tar Sands, paid for by residents but given to a for profit corporation to operate. And the kicker is the Government has also guaranteed the company a 9% return on the investment it didn't have to make (the investment was funded by the taxpayer). To me the results of unconstrained capitalism and communism appear to be about the same.

So in fighting what I see as injustices am I trying to "stop the unstoppable" or "drawing a line between feeding a need and gluttonous greed"?

The thing that annoys me most is the taunt that because I do not choose to support Monsanto, Tesco or Walmart I'm envious of their success and can't run a business successfully myself. We have managed just fine for over 300 years in our family to run a capitalist business in primary agriculture unlike today's agri-food corporations who are a mere speck on the time chart of human activity. These corporations may be successful apex predators in business terms but I believe they are parasitic to humanity as a whole.




Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Tom D wrote:
Angus 62 wrote:
What Walmart offers is the ability to go shopping and be completely brain dead - which appeals to a great many consumers today Sad

I don't see why that is necessarily a bad thing, I've got enough shit to worry about without trying to figure out where I'm going to save 50 cents on my next tube of toothpaste. I could waste my time going from store to store picking the bargains, or I could buy my brand name basics at Wal-Mart and know that over time, on average, I will be spending less.

This is where Mike's cattle comparison comes in. If you are a commercial cattleman, you might be better off being "brain dead" and sticking with a trusted genetic provider to provide you a consistent product over time for a low, stable price, than shopping around and buying an inconsistent product that you perceive as a "value".


exactly Tom, let commercial PRODUCERS concentrate on being producers of beef by a proven sequence of matings according to their purposes instead of having to be breeders; BobH demonstrates that quite vividly here...of course, many "good salt of the earth Smile " commercial producers ENJOY being breeders as well...the most successful of these could be candidates to open a store; depending on their desire to market seedstock to others
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   

Back to top Go down
 
Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale
» Keeney Angus 50TH Angus Anniversary Bull and Heifer Sale, Nov 10, 2012
» 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale
» Keeney Angus 2013 Spring Sale April 6, 2013
» 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Advertise :: For Sale-
Jump to: