Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

On the cool side of chilly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: On the cool side of chilly   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Thought I'd give some of you southern guys an idea of what you are missing by not experiencing a northern winter. There really is an exhilarating, awe inspiring side to it on days like this when your boots crunch in the snow and your lungs get shocked with the first air you breath in.
After 2 days and nights of overcast, lightly blowing snow and -37C factoring in wind chills we awoke to a colder but clearer day. Cold in either language!

A few cool fall calvers in the corrals

Our "added insulation" cattle waterers - they don't come from the factory with enough insulation so I built boxes around them.

I only take the lids off for around 6 hours a day.

So cold my antique tractor needs a coat from an earlier era

Chilli beef?

At the feed bunks

The cows really enjoy the sun, turning sideways like solar panels to absorb as much as they can.

Global warming cows?

What a frost free nose pump looks like on a cold day. No heat, no power supplied other than cow power.

They tend to build up enough ice to stop it pumping

A couple of minutes with a deadblow hammer and it's ready to go again. We only need to do this if it doesn't get above -20C. If it's warmer than that it takes care of itself.

A deceptive day - looks beautiful from behind glass but the forecast was saying -45 to -48c with windchill but somehow it doesn't seem so cold with the sun shining.

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: On the cool side of chilly   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh Grassfarmer I know the feeling... Temp was -25 just after sunrise with a N wind that gave us a wind chill of about -50...Like a neighbor commented "colder than a witchs tit"... And the bulls picked today to break the fill pipe going into my water tank... Got it fixed- but not sure if my fingers will ever thaw out... High for today was -15...

The only thing good about this cold is they are saying it will keep the heavy snow south of us...While they are predicting a few inches for NE MT- they are saying the Billings area could get a foot to 2 feet of snow..

Those pictures definitely speak "COLD".......
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: On the cool side of chilly   Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Grassfarmer your antique tractor looks like my newest tractor.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: On the cool side of chilly   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Pat, it's an '87 model with 15,000+ hours - that's an antique to me, albeit a priceless one Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: On the cool side of chilly   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Pat, it's an '87 model with 15,000+ hours - that's an antique to me, albeit a priceless one Smile

Mine is an 84 with 4700 plus hours according to the hour meter. I am beginning to think that vintage of tractor keeps going with a little maintenance. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the cool side of chilly   

Back to top Go down

On the cool side of chilly
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1