Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fall on the Farm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly

PostSubject: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Here are a few pics of what I we’ve been up to for the last month, A bit of a family affair my mom, wife and I drive the three combines. Dad and my brother run trucks, cousin and uncle run the balers, cousins run augers and the elevator, sister in law looks after supper and other cousins fill in on any of the jobs if someone is away.

............................A view to the west.......................................................Some of the crew at supper
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 pm

.............My boys playing in the sand box....................................A couple of my boys helping me stay awake Smile
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:12 pm

...............Some of the crew slacking during processing ...................................Some of the crew at round up
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Looks like a great crew.... Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm

beautiful country and farm family...great stuff Craig...loved the full moon over the trucks picture...and the slacking crew Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I just put my little 3 year old blondie to bed. Today he asked me to explain how the vet preg checked the cows. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks guys it always feels a little weird posting pictures, but I know I enjoy others pictures, but tend not to comment so I figure I should contribute as well.

I too have plenty to be thankful for Smile

You have to love their questions one after another.... they then turn into experts with endless stories about how things work Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Craig, when I kicked the sod bustin' habit, and sold my combine, there was a half of a five gallon bucket of toys, floating around in the cracks and crevices of my old 1660. I think my oldest boy spent the better part of his first 4 years "driving" something. You could count on momma showin' up at naptime, with a youngin' to be put to sleep in the monotony of a combine reel.

Thanks for sharing a slice of your world.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Did you get er all combined before the snow came Craig? The neighbors just finished here on the weekend but there seems to be more towards Calgary still to harvest. Getting set to trail cows home and wean here in the next week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Cool stuff Hilly Cool
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Hilly, not sure how you have time to post on here, with all that you got goin on up there. Great pics, keep'em comin.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Craig, when I kicked the sod bustin' habit, and sold my combine, there was a half of a five gallon bucket of toys, floating around in the cracks and crevices of my old 1660. I think my oldest boy spent the better part of his first 4 years "driving" something. You could count on momma showin' up at naptime, with a youngin' to be put to sleep in the monotony of a combine reel.

Thanks for sharing a slice of your world.

My mom has an official toy box in her combine; the grandkids have taken years off my dad as they keep everyone smiling.

Grassfarmer wrote:
Did you get er all combined before the snow came Craig? The neighbors just finished here on the weekend but there seems to be more towards Calgary still to harvest. Getting set to trail cows home and wean here in the next week.

We finished before the snow and even wrapped up some custom, offered to help some other folks that still had crop out but they didn’t see the need for panic yet.... feel bad this snow got them.

shilow angus wrote:
Cool stuff Hilly Cool

I assume you are talking about the snow santa

MVCatt wrote:
Hilly, not sure how you have time to post on here, with all that you got goin on up there. Great pics, keep'em comin.

Something to do with all the white stuff outside... my blood hasn’t thickened up yet so I am hiding out indoors. Smile
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:37 am

You talk about diferent, you've probably got more cropland in grain that there is in our entire county. Just simply amazing and the family involved is encouraging. With talk fo snow already, it sounds like a good place to visit in July for a southern guy like me. (No, my nickname ain't "Bubba"! Laughing But he does live across Hencoop Creek from us!) Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:14 am

Hilly wrote:

We finished before the snow and even wrapped up some custom, offered to help some other folks that still had crop out but they didn’t see the need for panic yet.... feel bad this snow got them.

Something to do with all the white stuff outside... my blood hasn’t thickened up yet so I am hiding out indoors. Smile

Well Hilly-- Thank You for sharing the white stuff- my Grandkids are thinking its great Rolling Eyes bounce Razz Wink
Not much more than a skiff- and I don't think it will stay long as it was 31 degrees when the sun came up, so should warm up and melt..

Glad you got the crops in as I know in our area there are some that haven't made it- especially a couple of the organic guys....Last week there was some baling their wheat/durum because it had started sprouting in the windrows.... My neighbor on the riverbottom still has a couple of fields of corn standing- not sure what he is planning on there unless he is going to graze them...
But our forecast for next week is sunshine and back up to near 60... It will be appreciated as we are going to sell some steer calves then-- wean and process the bull and heifer calves we're keeping...
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am

Oldtimer wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Well Hilly-- Thank You for sharing the white stuff- my Grandkids are thinking its great Rolling Eyes bounce Razz Wink
Not much more than a skiff- and I don't think it will stay long as it was 31 degrees when the sun came up, so should warm up and melt..

Glad you got the crops in as I know in our area there are some that haven't made it- especially a couple of the organic guys....Last week there was some baling their wheat/durum because it had started sprouting in the windrows.... My neighbor on the riverbottom still has a couple of fields of corn standing- not sure what he is planning on there unless he is going to graze them...
But our forecast for next week is sunshine and back up to near 60... It will be appreciated as we are going to sell some steer calves then-- wean and process the bull and heifer calves we're keeping...

No problem, any time Smile Good luck with your calves..... market is strong Smile
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:07 am

Not really fall anymore but this seems as good a place as any to post a few more pictures of my older boys.

Kent’s pictures have prompted me to get them more involved with other kinds of livestock in the future.

Most of this post will be about more than you need or want to know, but... Rolling Eyes

We home school our kids as we feel it is the right fit for us at this point, my oldest is 7 and he is a full grad ahead of public school kids at this point as we test him with their tests. It is a good fit for us as they are done by noon and can spend the rest of the day with me on the farm. They all know both English and Swedish (from their mom) and the older two are breezing through their Spanish lessons, which needless to say makes me feel like an old dog.

Social skills are always a concern but we have the boys in many different sports groups and they are a fair bit better with people then I, so it does not seem to be a concern at this point.

I know this one seems out of place but it was taken a few weeks ago, I keep telling him he has to work hard in practice if he expects to get better and he keeps making better teams, he was suppose to be in Philadelphia last week in a tournament representing western Canada, but his dad but the breaks on... a little much for a 7 year old to my way of thinking, but I can’t argue that he didn’t earn the opportunity or that I’m proud of him Smile

When asked if he wanted to play hockey like his older brother he informed me that someone has to be a fan and watch, looks like he is holding true to his theory here as well.

This one wants to ride horses in the radio (rodeo) when he grows up.

Off hunting something, an axe and a JD wagon to haul it back in.

They had named all 20 chickens, not sure how they tell them apart scratch

My barbed wire allergies were acting up again on this newly rented land.

In search for an unwanted calf, in hopes to convince her we are friendly.

Found and after a little work she takes the to be daily supplemental meal while she masters the art of stealing

Peaceful easy feeling... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 am

Kind of what life is all for ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 am

I like that young man`s attitude about being a fan and watching...especially when it comes to work Smile
Myles looks intense in that uniform Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:53 am

It's not watching, it's supervising. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:43 pm

So which is it--- supervising or being a fan? It's very important that I get this right.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Need a hired man for a year or so? I am ready to move.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Mean Spirit wrote:
So which is it--- supervising or being a fan? It's very important that I get this right.

The funny thing is that it would be very important to him, and he would pick supervisor if for no other reason it is a bigger word and he likes big words, as long as the job doesn’t pay too much...I sent him and his brother out to check their mole traps and set some new ones with the understanding that they get to split a dollar for every mole they catch, 30 mins later I find him at my truck playing with his little brother, so I tell him he can’t expect to get 50% of the take if he doesn’t do any of the work... He then proceeds to explain “That’s just it dad, I’ve been contemplating the matter of the 50 cents and decided my piggy bank is of little use to me if it’s too heavy to carry!!” Smile

I sure it is the same for everyone but it is hard for me to believe how different each one is from the others as far as personality... humbling as well Smile

Last edited by Hilly on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Keystone wrote:
Need a hired man for a year or so? I am ready to move.

No rain is tough, if our government wasn’t so backward on immigration I would let you manage this place and work for you Idea Smile

I still think we should stake claims next to each other... you and yours in Alaska and my family in the Yukon.

Ahhh, living the dream... well almost, I might spend the winters ocean front Panama Wink
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm

When a Hilman grows up does he become a Mountainman?
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Had some rain early this morning so the combines are sitting and I had time to take a few phone quality pictures as I moved a few of the groups this morning, with all the rain this year grass has been a little washy, the forecasted frost should really help the calves catch up as they have been behind this year.

These groups are March/April calves and the steers were banded at birth, I have been told I give up some gain doing that but it saves me time over knife cut as I handle the calves at birth with these groups, the June/July groups, that I am moving more replacements toward, in contrast are not handled at all at birth and get cut at weaning.

These first calves are sired by my Shoshone mob, the dominant bull at the time was this bull

I only have about 65 of these as the majority of the replacement stock is in the latter calving groups, these are all steers and heifers as the replacment mob bulls are out of the summer group as well

The rest of the calves are from terminal cross Simmental bulls...

Last edited by Hilly on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall on the Farm   

Back to top Go down

Fall on the Farm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next