Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 ''Moneyball''

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angus 62



Posts : 140
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: ''Moneyball''   Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 am

I don't know how many have seen this movie but there certainly are analogies between pro baseball and the registered ''game.'' For those that don't know it is the story of the GM of the Oakland A's and his approach to producing a winning baseball team at a fraction of the cost of teams chasing ''Superstars''.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Angus 62 wrote:
I don't know how many have seen this movie but there certainly are analogies between pro baseball and the registered ''game.'' For those that don't know it is the story of the GM of the Oakland A's and his approach to producing a winning baseball team at a fraction of the cost of teams chasing ''Superstars''.

it is so funny to watch them scramble to defend the registered game at Advantage...after 40 years of performance testing and open AI, and what have we got...? MISTAKES MULTIPLIED Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM



Posts : 895
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Moneyball would be a catchy name for a Angus show bull which would be quite snazzy and eye-catching in the latest AJ.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 392
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:47 pm

That's what came to my mind when I read the title also.

Great name for a show bull. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 392
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Angus 62 wrote:
I don't know how many have seen this movie but there certainly are analogies between pro baseball and the registered ''game.'' For those that don't know it is the story of the GM of the Oakland A's and his approach to producing a winning baseball team at a fraction of the cost of teams chasing ''Superstars''.

it is so funny to watch them scramble to defend the registered game at Advantage...after 40 years of performance testing and open AI, and what have we got...? MISTAKES MULTIPLIED Smile

We struck a nerve with JimL, he says he is tired, damn tired, maybe a nap is in order.

"I agree with the posts made by Old Vet and Turnbull. I guess being from the 5 bar x we have heard all the put downs from a handfull of guys who have decided that their way is the only way and that anyone who does not see it there way is not a true breeder or he is a flavor of the month breeder or an AI pimp or a multiplier or a hobby breeder and despite the fact that none of those guys get around any more than the rest of us they try and make it sound like they have talked to every commercial guy out there and of course they say all those commercial guys claim that this nations cow herd is going to hell and it is all the fault of the AI studs and a bunch of idiot purebred breeders. Tiresome at best but getting damn tiresome.

While that group puts every body into their pet categorys , I tend to think like this , if a breeder is honest about the way he does things and if he raises cattle that the cattlemen in his customer group like enough to come back year after year for more and if he honest about the information he gives out and if he takes care of problems when they come up , and especially if he can sell to his neighbors and if the bulls he sells work for his customers who the hell cares if he uses his own bulls or someone elses bulls or uses AI , it is his program and more power to him . I get real tired of self appointed experts who live hundreds or thousands of miles away from the people they are putting down in many cases in a completely differant climate and seem to think that they know more about the way that guy should be doing things then the man they are putting down despite the fact that they have never been to his place or seen his cattle or talked to his neighbors or his customers.

I at times use AI and I use other peoples bulls and I dont linebreed the hell out of everything which to some folks makes me a bad breeder but you know what I have 6 bulls working for 3 differant customers within two miles of my place and almost all my bulls every year go to people within 30 miles of my place and I get my bulls sold and I sell them for more than steer prices and they go for the most part to men who make their living with their cattle . Shazam!!! I am doing all the things wrong according to some on here and getting along darn well and there are plenty of other folks just like me out there despite what the naysayers think."

Boy, I wonder what happens when it gets damn, damn, damn, damn, tiresome. I better be careful maybe a t-post will come flying out of the computer screen. Maybe I should wera a helemet with a visor. Smile

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 pm

the internet has presented a new challenge to the status quo that the quo have never had to face before...plain and simple TRUTH...but there`s that word again of multiple meanings....truth... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 pm

My taste for the purebred guys was set when I worked for an et outfit after college. They had a few purebred cows and had the vet come out and sleeve them. The vet announced that 1 heifer was bred but had an extremely small pelvic area. He advised that she should be sent to town. Instead, a month or so later we took her to a state sale in a neighboring state and sold her as a bred heifer. The buyer was an older gentleman that was purchasing her for his 7 or 8 year old Granddaughter to be her first cow and to start her herd. The guy I was working for, was putting the sales pitch on before the sale, when the man and his granddaughter were looking. He did not mention the small pelvic area. They ended up buying the heifer. I often wondered if she ever had a calf naturally. I lost all respect for those guys that day, and what I have seen since then has changed little.


Dylan: you are to be commended for trying to point out how wrong it is to sell problems to others.


Prediction: Might there be a Pinebank Ohio herd coming soon?
Back to top Go down
Angus 62



Posts : 140
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:00 am

The registered guys will tell you it's all about data - if it's data that supports their con game. The only relevant data to commercial cowmen is their P&L statement. If you take for instance the fairly recent data that suggests that developing heifers to get bred a lighter weight, (or not at all) makes money in at least three different ways and compare that to the average registered sale heifer there is little doubt the registered deal is going in the opposite direction of the commercial cattleman.

Spent a couple of days at the NWSS. Sort of like going to the circus. When you grow up you give up on the idea on running away to join it. Very Happy Did come away with another years worth of free pens from the semen pimps. Like many of the bulls they promote it takes a lot of them because they don't last very long.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 535
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 am

Angus 62 wrote:
The registered guys will tell you it's all about data - if it's data that supports their con game. The only relevant data to commercial cowmen is their P&L statement. If you take for instance the fairly recent data that suggests that developing heifers to get bred a lighter weight, (or not at all) makes money in at least three different ways and compare that to the average registered sale heifer there is little doubt the registered deal is going in the opposite direction of the commercial cattleman.

Spent a couple of days at the NWSS. Sort of like going to the circus. When you grow up you give up on the idea on running away to join it. Very Happy Did come away with another years worth of free pens from the semen pimps. Like many of the bulls they promote it takes a lot of them because they don't last very long.

Smile The pen of the month club.

You know it's bad when the best value at the stock show is a $7 Coors Light.

TD, proud part owner of the Grand Champion Salers Bull of the 100th anniversary NWSS. Anybody need some semen???
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Angus 62 wrote:
The only relevant data to commercial cowmen is their P&L statement.

I used to believe this but anymore I'm not so sure. The better operators yes, but if the FSA-government tit ever dries up I think you will see a lot of commercial cowmen in big trouble. There won't be much P in their P&S statement without the government tailing them up. Farmers and ranchers, the new American Indian. Same game, different players.

Jack, From deep in my reservation.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 308
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:24 pm

I got the critique on my cattle that is most important to me last week at the Stockyards... The buyer that had bought my steer calves last fall pulled me aside and told me that he had just shipped those calves to the Nebraska lot for finishing- and that they were the nicest thickest calves of all he had... Very Happy

I'm going to have to remind him of that next year !!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Angus 62



Posts : 140
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

When you talk to folks about what their calves brought this fall they all say it is a damn good thing because of what it cost to raise them. Tri-State Livestock News says that cattlemen better figure on paying an extra grand for bulls this this spring - which means the registered guys will spend an extra two thousand a bull on advertising. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: ''Moneyball''   

Back to top Go down
 
''Moneyball''
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» ''Moneyball''

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: farm and ranch life-
Jump to: