Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Selection to the extreme?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Selection to the extreme?   Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:10 am

A purebred Charolais heifer won the prestigous fatstock competition that is "Smithfield" last week. I wonder what kind of calves she would have and how she would rear them?

http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/scots-triumph-at-smithfield-1.1138828
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:36 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
A purebred Charolais heifer won the prestigous fatstock competition that is "Smithfield" last week. I wonder what kind of calves she would have and how she would rear them?

http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/scots-triumph-at-smithfield-1.1138828
good lord..is that the beef brits like to eat?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB



Posts : 455
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:25 am

That explains why horse meat is so popular in Europe. Is this one of the judging contest where it is all about the name and money?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:20 am

MKeeney wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
A purebred Charolais heifer won the prestigous fatstock competition that is "Smithfield" last week. I wonder what kind of calves she would have and how she would rear them?

http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/scots-triumph-at-smithfield-1.1138828
good lord..is that the beef brits like to eat?

It's what the majority of EU supermarket beef is - very lean, no marbling, high % muscle cuts.


patb wrote:
That explains why horse meat is so popular in Europe. Is this one of the judging contest where it is all about the name and money?

Horse meat isn't that popular in Europe, only in Belgium and Luxemberg to an extent. It's not a name and money event - Allanfauld is a top commercial calf producer, supplying what the market demands and has ventured into the purebred side in recent decades to breed their own parent lines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Tom D
Admin


Posts : 535
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 38
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:59 am

To the extreme, I rock a mike like a vandal. Light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle.

VI
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:04 pm

What happens when you try to make terminal perform as maternal.

This was a prime stock show winner as a heifer and retained for a cow. She sold for @$7000 as a heifer with calf at foot.

So has this bull a high or low tail head? and whatever happened to the old standard of "the back being as level as a billiard table"?


Last edited by Grassfarmer on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks a lot like the modern breeding hogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Selection to the extreme?   

Back to top Go down
 
Selection to the extreme?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» selection at weaning
» Extreme Adjectives List
» Extreme Precision Doppler Spectrometer (EPDS)
» THE END OF THE AGE - EXTREME WEATHER EVENTS MAY 2015
» The SPICA Space Telescope

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: