Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

New additions in Warren Mt.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New additions in Warren Mt.   Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 pm

My little 5 year old boy Wil thinks he is the worlds greatest hunter. I don't know where he got this from as none of us around here hunt much of anything that is not a bovine. Anyway if you want to be any kind of respectable hunter you need to have a good hound dog according to Wil. He has been wanting one for quite some time. Brook found an add for some 7/8 Redbone 1/8 Black and Tan 8 week old pups. So with Christmas coming we decided to go look at them. We came home tonight with one happy boy and one damn neat little dog. I've not been around any hounds before but this one looks like he may be the type you imagine laying next to the rocking chair on some old boys porch. He's pretty damn laid back and has about as much expression in his eyes as any dog I've ever seen. The happiness and excitement of that little boy tonight provided me with enough fuel to run me for another year.
My excitement level was already running high before we went today. This morning I called and ordered us 13 head of Wagyu bulls for next years heifer breeding season. I am probably more excited about these bulls as I have been about any of the Angus bulls I have ever purchased. I guess it not so much excited about the bulls themselves but about the results that they should bring about. They represent the start of our Heifer College here at Loyning Ranch. I think that they will be a good Longhorn alternative, time will tell. I've caught some flack over this deal. I hear "Why would you wanna do that?" quite a bit. And "You are losing a year worth of progress." Well maybe in their short sighted tunnel vision I am. I explain to them that while we may take a bit of a discount on this first calf she should pay us back with raising a few more calves in the end than a traditionally bred AngusXAngus heifer. I go on to tell them that the Heifer in this program will also have an opportunity to do her job on her own without me bothering her. The little bugger shouldn't hurt as much on the way out therefore she will have a better shot at loving him instead of resenting him for causing her so much pain. The reproductive tract of this heifer should also be much healthier because much less damage if any should be done to it in the process. Therefore she has a much better chance of coming up bred as a coming three year old and she has learned how to be an attentive and loving mother in the process. It should help to set her up to be a successful cow throughout her productive life here and she will have a much better chance of making it to old age. Many of them still do not get it and probably never will. Slowly but surely though some of them are also trying to think outside of the box to make things easier and maybe more profitable in the long run. I am excited to progress instead of remaining stagnant in an OK system. I'll try to keep this updated with pictures of boys, hounds, bulls, calves, and happy heifers as time goes on.

Ben, In the vicinity of excitement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Great piece of inspiration, Ben.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 am

so beautiful, it makes me want to sing, though I can only humm Smile , and wipes away the disappointments of contending with a 100 mainstream bs`ers{noted in private email ...the last could not use little Shosnone bulls because they might make his cows too big Shocked }...
I first hummed We`re marching to Zion, but settled on this new found inspiration, He who would Valiant Be by John Bunyan with the interesting footnote...
"To be a Pilgrim" (also commonly known as "He would Valiant be" is the only hymn John Bunyan is credited with writing but is indelibly associated with him. It first appeared in Part 2 of Pilgrim's Progress, written in 1684 while he was serving a twelve-year sentence in Bedford Gaol on a charge of preaching without a licence. The hymn recalls the words of Hebrews 11:13: "...and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHJMPw8RHU&feature=related

We need a 100 pilgrims flushing a 100 cows to their sires, sons, and brothers for the March; for the Revolution...don`t come visiting here without expecting to be supplied with genetic ammunition to take the road less traveled...the last two Pilgrims have now progressed to MO; and loading more ammuntion...but the greatest ammunition is what`s implanted in their brain; now to supplement the courage in their hearts, with the dream that the old 1915 cow will live on Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 am

Ben, when will the marble sticks arrive? DV in the vicinity of well marbled Beetseed prime, and looking for more. PS, What do you get when you cross a"marble stick" with a "beetseed" ? What do you get when you cross a "marble stick" with a "paint stick" ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:40 am

What do you get when you cross a "Prudence" with an "Ester" ?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:05 am

estee prudent ? a perfume so rare and sweet; that you must be prudent in it`s use ...

now to get Georgina in greater supply; to add power to the perfume to create a cologne few can resist...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 am

Dennis, They will be here somewhere in the Vicinity of July. I believe the Well Marbled Beetsticks could be just what the high end meat market is looking for. As for the Painted Marblesticks you will have to try it it and find out for us. Mike may have a very good production stock option nailed with the Estee-Prudent by Georgina concoction. On another note the hound only woke us up once. Got up and Wil already had his coat on and was taking him out.

Ben, In the Vicinity of wondering what a Painted Marblestick might look like.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 am

Ben, thank you for sharing. Great to hear your excitement and passion, and congratulations on breaking away from the same old same old.
Keeping enthusiasm alive in this business is vital for the future success of our traditional lifestyle. And being creative with your cattle breeding helps keep the enthusiasm going.

Keep up the good work, don't let the wackos get you down, if you get the chance invite them in for a coffee and a visit. Who knows some shared values may even be discovered. Talk about outside the box!

Dylan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Ben Loyning wrote:
My little 5 year old boy Wil thinks he is the worlds greatest hunter. I don't know where he got this from as none of us around here hunt much of anything that is not a bovine. Anyway if you want to be any kind of respectable hunter you need to have a good hound dog according to Wil. He has been wanting one for quite some time. Brook found an add for some 7/8 Redbone 1/8 Black and Tan 8 week old pups. So with Christmas coming we decided to go look at them. We came home tonight with one happy boy and one damn neat little dog. I've not been around any hounds before but this one looks like he may be the type you imagine laying next to the rocking chair on some old boys porch. He's pretty damn laid back and has about as much expression in his eyes as any dog I've ever seen. The happiness and excitement of that little boy tonight provided me with enough fuel to run me for another year.
My excitement level was already running high before we went today. This morning I called and ordered us 13 head of Wagyu bulls for next years heifer breeding season. I am probably more excited about these bulls as I have been about any of the Angus bulls I have ever purchased. I guess it not so much excited about the bulls themselves but about the results that they should bring about. They represent the start of our Heifer College here at Loyning Ranch. I think that they will be a good Longhorn alternative, time will tell. I've caught some flack over this deal. I hear "Why would you wanna do that?" quite a bit. And "You are losing a year worth of progress." Well maybe in their short sighted tunnel vision I am. I explain to them that while we may take a bit of a discount on this first calf she should pay us back with raising a few more calves in the end than a traditionally bred AngusXAngus heifer. I go on to tell them that the Heifer in this program will also have an opportunity to do her job on her own without me bothering her. The little bugger shouldn't hurt as much on the way out therefore she will have a better shot at loving him instead of resenting him for causing her so much pain. The reproductive tract of this heifer should also be much healthier because much less damage if any should be done to it in the process. Therefore she has a much better chance of coming up bred as a coming three year old and she has learned how to be an attentive and loving mother in the process. It should help to set her up to be a successful cow throughout her productive life here and she will have a much better chance of making it to old age. Many of them still do not get it and probably never will. Slowly but surely though some of them are also trying to think outside of the box to make things easier and maybe more profitable in the long run. I am excited to progress instead of remaining stagnant in an OK system. I'll try to keep this updated with pictures of boys, hounds, bulls, calves, and happy heifers as time goes on.

Ben, In the vicinity of excitement.

Ben, you made my morning. It is good to have some "morning'' people around to brighten my day. I woke up this morning from a rough night of fighting kidnappers and freaks of all shapes and sizes. It was a nice transition out of the transadental world. I took my six year old deer hunting, not his first time, but first for him to pack the gun. We, he, shot a doe twice with the safety on. We laughed as she trotted away. Two minutes later a limping young buck comes by. I say ''do you want him'' ,,,,,Yip says he. So we sight in and he gets him, all the while shivering while setting on my lap. He was a puffed up little rooster for two weeks over the deal. We came home to take pictures, and he has to have one with all his different hats, cowboy, coonskin, and blaze orange.

So what are you going to hunt out there? cats? wolves? bears? Here you would hunt coons or possums, yotes or such. If he hasn't watched "where the red fern grows'' yet, he'd love it.

Keep us informed on the heifer school success.

Thanks,

Joe
Back to top Go down
robert

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm

MKeeney wrote:
so beautiful, it makes me want to sing, though I can only humm Smile , and wipes away the disappointments of contending with a 100 mainstream bs`ers{noted in private email ...the last could not use little Shosnone bulls because they might make his cows too big Shocked }...
I first hummed We`re marching to Zion, but settled on this new found inspiration, He who would Valiant Be by John Bunyan with the interesting footnote...
"To be a Pilgrim" (also commonly known as "He would Valiant be" is the only hymn John Bunyan is credited with writing but is indelibly associated with him. It first appeared in Part 2 of Pilgrim's Progress, written in 1684 while he was serving a twelve-year sentence in Bedford Gaol on a charge of preaching without a licence. The hymn recalls the words of Hebrews 11:13: "...and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

We need a 100 pilgrims flushing a 100 cows to their sires, sons, and brothers for the March; for the Revolution...don`t come visiting here without expecting to be supplied with genetic ammunition to take the road less traveled...the last two Pilgrims have now progressed to MO; and loading more ammuntion...but the greatest ammunition is what`s implanted in their brain; now to supplement the courage in their hearts, with the dream that the old 1915 cow will live on Smile

There's no discouragement, I'll fear not what men say! I'll labor night and day to be a pilgrim!

I remember singing those words in primary school over 35 years ago like it was yesterday, words I barely understood at the time yet have held in my heart for all these years.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 pm

robert wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

There's no discouragement, I'll fear not what men say! I'll labor night and day to be a pilgrim!

I remember singing those words in primary school over 35 years ago like it was yesterday, words I barely understood at the time yet have held in my heart for all these years.

probably deeply ingrained principles instead of words...Valiant job you are doing over at Advantage, Robert
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Ben,
I sold 4 of my Wagyu cross heifers today...about 14 1/2 months old; weighed 753...been on silage about 6 weeks; before that just grass...looked good enough that the fellow bought them for top feeder price as if they were Angus; though he knew they weren`t...the wonderful impact of heterosis...I`ve a good notion to buy me a bull...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Quote :
I`ve a good notion to buy me a bull...

If you ever do I might know of a place he could spend the winters and I would feed the male offsprings out and sell and the heifers could ...well who knows where they might end up.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 am

Mark Day wrote:
Quote :
I`ve a good notion to buy me a bull...

If you ever do I might know of a place he could spend the winters and I would feed the male offsprings out and sell and the heifers could ...well who knows where they might end up.

the Wagyu bulls raise the question "why use Unwanted to make an Angus- Longhorn alternative when a breed already exist that is close to doing the job...but Mark I suspect all progeny by a Wagyu should be terminal...and maybe Angus Longhorn Alternative females could make really nice little cows...but giving up the heterosis may be too costly...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Here is Wil and his dog Tracker. He's a happy guy.

Brook just came by and said "Look Wil dad is putting your picture up for his cow nerd friends to see." Hearing this Sam thought he needed his picture up to. So here he is Tough Guy Sammy after a run in with a coffee table.

Ben, in the vicinity of a couple of ornery little fellas.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:00 am

That is about as good as it gets for this cow nerd. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Ben,
I thought this pic probably fit here best Smile Hope you, Brooke, and the kids don`t mind Smile

A Real Cowboy has No Fear

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Mike, Brook and I thought that the picture fit our outfit pretty well. Sam is quite the exibitionist and I could definatly see him doing something like this. I think I may have done a few things like this but I was a little older then the fella in the picture. What a country bumpkin college kid won't do once drink has been taken.

Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New additions in Warren Mt.   

Back to top Go down

New additions in Warren Mt.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1