Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Cowboy NFR

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The Cowboy NFR   Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm pretty excited about tonight being the first round of the NFR. Every year I stay up every night and watch all ten rounds. I'm wondering who the rodeo fans at the corner are rooting for? This is my list.
Bareback-Bobby Mote. His controled riding style and long smooth spur stroke make him, in my opinion, the best guy to ever strap a riggin to one.

Bulldogging-Trevor Knowls. He's my pick because he is a Cowboy not just a rodeo cowboy.

Team Roping-Derrick Begay and Cesar de la Cruz. Gotta love these guys all or nothing style. Derrick Begay will take one swing and throw out 30' of rope almost every time. Cesar de la Cruz is wicked on the heels.

Bronc Riding-Wade Sundell. He is a rank bronc riding SOB. There is no back down in Wade Sundell.

Calf Roping-Shane Hanchey. I like him because he's a shrimp like me. When things go right Hanchey is like greased lightning.

Barrel Racing-Lindsay Sears. She has the best horse for the Thomas and Mack maybe ever. I like to watch the barrel race as much as any event at the NFR. There are so many good horse's here.

Bull Riding-Shane Proctor. He went to college south of here at Northwest in Powell Wy. He won Calgary, Cheyenne, Houston, and ended up in the top ten of the PBR this year, with earnings of over $500,000. The Bull Riding is the lame duck event of the NFR. The PBR is were it is at if you are a big time bull rider. At least the top five riders here will not be from Brazil. Anyone looking for a model of athleticism and structural soundness in the bovine species, watch the bulls out tonight there is certainly a type to them.

I am interested to hear you other fan's take on things.

Ben
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cowboy NFR   Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Ben Loyning wrote:
I'm pretty excited about tonight being the first round of the NFR. Every year I stay up every night and watch all ten rounds. I'm wondering who the rodeo fans at the corner are rooting for? This is my list.
Bareback-Bobby Mote. His controled riding style and long smooth spur stroke make him, in my opinion, the best guy to ever strap a riggin to one.

Bulldogging-Trevor Knowls. He's my pick because he is a Cowboy not just a rodeo cowboy.

Team Roping-Derrick Begay and Cesar de la Cruz. Gotta love these guys all or nothing style. Derrick Begay will take one swing and throw out 30' of rope almost every time. Cesar de la Cruz is wicked on the heels.

Bronc Riding-Wade Sundell. He is a rank bronc riding SOB. There is no back down in Wade Sundell.

Calf Roping-Shane Hanchey. I like him because he's a shrimp like me. When things go right Hanchey is like greased lightning.

Barrel Racing-Lindsay Sears. She has the best horse for the Thomas and Mack maybe ever. I like to watch the barrel race as much as any event at the NFR. There are so many good horse's here.

Bull Riding-Shane Proctor. He went to college south of here at Northwest in Powell Wy. He won Calgary, Cheyenne, Houston, and ended up in the top ten of the PBR this year, with earnings of over $500,000. The Bull Riding is the lame duck event of the NFR. The PBR is were it is at if you are a big time bull rider. At least the top five riders here will not be from Brazil. Anyone looking for a model of athleticism and structural soundness in the bovine species, watch the bulls out tonight there is certainly a type to them.

I am interested to hear you other fan's take on things.

Ben

Darn good choices Ben
bareback Steven Dent dam fine young man. Polite and first class and good cowboy.
Bulldoging Knowles or Suhn
Team roping u pick em
saddle bronc Sundell, Muncy or harter
Tie down you pick-em
Bull riding proctor good kid
Can chasing Sear's good people.
The NFR is the only sporting event that get's watched here. Wouldn't miss it Oldest son went there today to watch his college buddies ride.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: The Cowboy NFR   Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 am

Lindsay Sears comes from a real ranching background here in Alberta, her Grandfather was one of the pioneer breeders of Luings in Canada and was still gathering cows out of the foothills well through his 70s.
I think his father rode into the country on a horse from the States -Kansa I think - they have built quite the operation, mainly feeding cattle today, seeding 20,000 acres of barley silage all with their own equipment and staff. Check out their website at http://www.two-w.com/Sears/index.htm (They also own 2W livestock equipment)
That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject Ben.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: The Cowboy NFR   Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:36 am

The local waterhole has a Fantasy Rodeo team contest...Costs $30-- and you pick an entrant in each event...Each contestant is awared an amount of points based on place going into the Finals-- 1st place costs you 15-- 15th place costs you 1... Maximum points you can use is 64.... Pays off 3 day moneys- and 6 places for overall points... A lot of fun....
Miles City Chamber used to do it- and had hundreds of contestants...But then the state jumped on them for not having a gaming license... I think the Bison still runs one...
This year we have 43 entry's...

My team this year is
BB- Mote
SW- Gorsuch
SB- Sundell (wildman on a roll-- won all the go arounds and average at Omaha a month ago)
TR-Minor- (picked only because anyone can win that- and I didn't have any points to play with)
CR- Herrin
Barrels- Sue Smith ( a running sucker of a horse- that can set arena records if he doesn't nail the barrels- ran a 13 run in Omaha with both reins on the same side of his neck the last two barrels)
Bulls LJ Jenkins (altho rooting for Procter- since he came to our little punkin roller fair rodeo the day after Billings PBR- and kicked rear- and thrilled the crowd... He has worked so hard he deserves the buckle) ...

Sure was glad to see Bobby Mote look good on a horse tonight- since he hasn't rode one in about 2-3 months with broken ribs and bad internal injuries-- but he claims he got on a couple practice horses and is healthier than any finals he's been at...

Tonight the only one that got me any points was Sundell... Rolling Eyes Glad to see Proctor do good...

I see old Benny Reynolds is again one of the ex-champions running the catch pen gate for the bulls and horses...
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: The Cowboy NFR   Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:35 am

Well Wade Sundell drew about the dirtiest nastiest ducking diving saddle bronc I've seen in some time..And Taos got a dink...First injury of the finals took out Cody DeMoss (he's had terrible luck with injuries)...
And my barrel horse ran the fastest time- but got a barrel again tonight...

Both Trevor Knowles and Cody Ohl are hot... Glad to see Trevor winning... Ohl is good- and he has no problem telling everyone how good he is Rolling Eyes ...

Out of a possible 72 points for the first two nights- my fantasy team has only picked up 7... Shocked

Glad I don't make my living as a sports gambler....

Ended up watching the rodeo twice- as after I went to bed I couldn't sleep, so watched it again...Going to move the cows off the summer/fall pasture today-- and just antsy about how things will go... Son says we have some pretty good drifts to get thru getting to the corrals - and 30 miles of bad icy/snowpacked highway...Tonight we are supposed to get another storm and drifting- and then subzero temps so better get them out while the getting is as good as it is..
Good thing is it sounds like the neighbors are all available to help- so even tho we have to trailer them out- we'll only have to make a couple of trips..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cowboy NFR   

Back to top Go down

The Cowboy NFR
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1