Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 perception versus reality

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 392
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm

W.T wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:
We did that also, and like you say it was very educational.

Well it looks like a lot of us had to learn the same dam lesson the hard way. I guess the moral of the story was it doesn't matter what color of cool-aid you put in a jar of piss it is still piss and we drank the dam piss. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

W.T, the way I choose to look at is is like Bud Willimas said, "you have to do it wrong before you can do it right".

I like to think I am getting closer to right. Smile Smile , but I still like to experiment. Smile

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
W.T wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:
We did that also, and like you say it was very educational.

Well it looks like a lot of us had to learn the same dam lesson the hard way. I guess the moral of the story was it doesn't matter what color of cool-aid you put in a jar of piss it is still piss and we drank the dam piss. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

W.T, the way I choose to look at is is like Bud Willimas said, "you have to do it wrong before you can do it right".

I like to think I am getting closer to right. Smile Smile , but I still like to experiment. Smile


You got it Dylan and i can laugh at myself... and what a laugh it was.. and here i am experimenting again.... I never learn.... but what the hell I can look at the man in the mirror and smile back cheers cheers I have learned to smell the kool-aid before i drink affraid drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 392
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 am

Ah yes, the man in the mirror, Ray Hunt was whom I first heard it from.

The Guy in the Glass
by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgment upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

"The Guy in the Glass" Written in 1934
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:52 am

Thank you Dylan I have had a copy of that in a drawer for 30 years and i read it from time to time, it was given to me by a fine man that had life figured out.. thanks for the complete post with the authors name you rarely see that.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day



Posts : 243
Join date : 2010-09-24
Age : 51
Location : Russellville, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Is it just my imagination but do the heads of those calves in the picture all look very similar, more than what you might expect from calves that much different in size?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
We did that also, and like you say it was very educational.

My biggest eye opener, educator, learning experience, was the failure of the female counterparts of the premium getters, to function as a cow, which cost me more than any $%E#% discounts ever did. Then again I didn't have many discounts. I don't think it is Rocket Science to hit an acceptable quality target any more than it shouldn't be rocket science to make an acceptable cow.


Bootheel, brain surgeon, rocket scientist, nuclear physist and just all around freakin' genius
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Ah yes, the man in the mirror, Ray Hunt was whom I first heard it from.

The Guy in the Glass
by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgment upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

"The Guy in the Glass" Written in 1934

Thanks for printing this DB. I'd never seen it before. Words for a seedstock producer to live by.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4624
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:28 pm

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
It felt so nice to have a DV moment this morning. After showing an "educator", absentee owner/partner of an 80 cow herd the cows and a 950 lb/$1750 yearling bull for the second time in the last 4 years without selling him anything, he called back with more questions this morning that his partner thought he should have asked. I noticed him writing notes in his notebook yesterday; and it looked as if I was not his only stop..
.I told him I wasn`t in the mood to be on the witness stand again this morning answering meaningless questions about individuals instead of questions about my "program",... that I had no great bulls, and given all the questions his partner needed answered, he must be searching for a "great" one...so if they bought one from me, they were bound to be disappointed....so, I really did not want to sell them a bull...nonethe less, he "sneaked" in one question..."what does the bull weigh"? so I said, ya see, there the partner goes asking dumb questions"? Did he ask how the bulls had been fed? and of course, he did not...so I say how silly to ask weight, without asking the ration because feed, not genetics, is the primary factor of weight...
by then, he was really believing that I really wasn`t going to sell them a bull; and got off the phone rather hurriedly...independence, I bask in it`s warmth Smile
gee whiz,
had another poor experience tonight...advertized some first calf heifers with young calves at side...caller wanted to know if they met state cost-share guidelines...I said I hope so; they are good condition, size, nice udders, and raising good calves... what are the guidelines? well, pelvic measured, bred to low birth weight bulls, and vaccinated for reproductive diseases...so I asked if a calf at side could serve as a guarantee or did he need "data" {paper proof}...a bit dumbfounded by common sense, he hestitated...and I gave him a lecture Ron Paul would have been proud of...that was worth more for the soul than selling the heifers... cheers

I had another ask if heifers for sell had been pelvic measured today...you know, I have not given DF, Patterson @ UM,and others like them at AAA enough credit...I had thought how dumb these people and their rules were; and I`ve been the dumb one...these rule makers are very smart...they realize that we don`t need them or their services to breed good , profitable cattle...so they take money from us, or from someone, via taxes, courts, even gifts...and redistribute it to those who will abide by the laws they and their political cohorts dream up...it gives them job justification, and insures a check for services rendered, though not needed except to play the game they have created...to sell Duroc pork; you need a registered Duroc boar...to sell Angus feeder cattle, they created Angus Source for calves by REGISTERED ANGUS bulls...generic Angus is no good; in fact, will "angus" cease to be a generic word?
all of this under the disguise of making producers more money, while insuring beauracrats always make money...very smart, for they know very few have the CONVICTION Kendra writes about to " pull the trigger " and develop their own reputation and put their own name behind what you produce and sell...isn`t it a joke that you need a registered Angus to sell Angus beef when the registered version is likely less Angus associated characteristics than the generic Angus...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
tom-ky



Posts : 1
Join date : 2010-10-09

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 am

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
It felt so nice to have a DV moment this morning. After showing an "educator", absentee owner/partner of an 80 cow herd the cows and a 950 lb/$1750 yearling bull for the second time in the last 4 years without selling him anything, he called back with more questions this morning that his partner thought he should have asked. I noticed him writing notes in his notebook yesterday; and it looked as if I was not his only stop..
.I told him I wasn`t in the mood to be on the witness stand again this morning answering meaningless questions about individuals instead of questions about my "program",... that I had no great bulls, and given all the questions his partner needed answered, he must be searching for a "great" one...so if they bought one from me, they were bound to be disappointed....so, I really did not want to sell them a bull...nonethe less, he "sneaked" in one question..."what does the bull weigh"? so I said, ya see, there the partner goes asking dumb questions"? Did he ask how the bulls had been fed? and of course, he did not...so I say how silly to ask weight, without asking the ration because feed, not genetics, is the primary factor of weight...
by then, he was really believing that I really wasn`t going to sell them a bull; and got off the phone rather hurriedly...independence, I bask in it`s warmth Smile
gee whiz,
had another poor experience tonight...advertized some first calf heifers with young calves at side...caller wanted to know if they met state cost-share guidelines...I said I hope so; they are good condition, size, nice udders, and raising good calves... what are the guidelines? well, pelvic measured, bred to low birth weight bulls, and vaccinated for reproductive diseases...so I asked if a calf at side could serve as a guarantee or did he need "data" {paper proof}...a bit dumbfounded by common sense, he hestitated...and I gave him a lecture Ron Paul would have been proud of...that was worth more for the soul than selling the heifers... cheers

For KY cost share I understand that only open or bred heifers are allowed, no pairs. IS that correct?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4624
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm

tom-ky wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
It felt so nice to have a DV moment this morning. After showing an "educator", absentee owner/partner of an 80 cow herd the cows and a 950 lb/$1750 yearling bull for the second time in the last 4 years without selling him anything, he called back with more questions this morning that his partner thought he should have asked. I noticed him writing notes in his notebook yesterday; and it looked as if I was not his only stop..
.I told him I wasn`t in the mood to be on the witness stand again this morning answering meaningless questions about individuals instead of questions about my "program",... that I had no great bulls, and given all the questions his partner needed answered, he must be searching for a "great" one...so if they bought one from me, they were bound to be disappointed....so, I really did not want to sell them a bull...nonethe less, he "sneaked" in one question..."what does the bull weigh"? so I said, ya see, there the partner goes asking dumb questions"? Did he ask how the bulls had been fed? and of course, he did not...so I say how silly to ask weight, without asking the ration because feed, not genetics, is the primary factor of weight...
by then, he was really believing that I really wasn`t going to sell them a bull; and got off the phone rather hurriedly...independence, I bask in it`s warmth Smile
gee whiz,
had another poor experience tonight...advertized some first calf heifers with young calves at side...caller wanted to know if they met state cost-share guidelines...I said I hope so; they are good condition, size, nice udders, and raising good calves... what are the guidelines? well, pelvic measured, bred to low birth weight bulls, and vaccinated for reproductive diseases...so I asked if a calf at side could serve as a guarantee or did he need "data" {paper proof}...a bit dumbfounded by common sense, he hestitated...and I gave him a lecture Ron Paul would have been proud of...that was worth more for the soul than selling the heifers... cheers

For KY cost share I understand that only open or bred heifers are allowed, no pairs. IS that correct?
I have no clue...but more importantly, why does anyone care ? oh, that`s right...a welfare check...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
tom-ky



Posts : 1
Join date : 2010-10-09

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

MKeeney wrote:
tom-ky wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
It felt so nice to have a DV moment this morning. After showing an "educator", absentee owner/partner of an 80 cow herd the cows and a 950 lb/$1750 yearling bull for the second time in the last 4 years without selling him anything, he called back with more questions this morning that his partner thought he should have asked. I noticed him writing notes in his notebook yesterday; and it looked as if I was not his only stop..
.I told him I wasn`t in the mood to be on the witness stand again this morning answering meaningless questions about individuals instead of questions about my "program",... that I had no great bulls, and given all the questions his partner needed answered, he must be searching for a "great" one...so if they bought one from me, they were bound to be disappointed....so, I really did not want to sell them a bull...nonethe less, he "sneaked" in one question..."what does the bull weigh"? so I said, ya see, there the partner goes asking dumb questions"? Did he ask how the bulls had been fed? and of course, he did not...so I say how silly to ask weight, without asking the ration because feed, not genetics, is the primary factor of weight...
by then, he was really believing that I really wasn`t going to sell them a bull; and got off the phone rather hurriedly...independence, I bask in it`s warmth Smile
gee whiz,
had another poor experience tonight...advertized some first calf heifers with young calves at side...caller wanted to know if they met state cost-share guidelines...I said I hope so; they are good condition, size, nice udders, and raising good calves... what are the guidelines? well, pelvic measured, bred to low birth weight bulls, and vaccinated for reproductive diseases...so I asked if a calf at side could serve as a guarantee or did he need "data" {paper proof}...a bit dumbfounded by common sense, he hestitated...and I gave him a lecture Ron Paul would have been proud of...that was worth more for the soul than selling the heifers... cheers

For KY cost share I understand that only open or bred heifers are allowed, no pairs. IS that correct?
I have no clue...but more importantly, why does anyone care ? oh, that`s right...a welfare check...
I was just curious. We had some bulls for sale earlier and got a call wondering if they qualified. Guy did not even know what it took to make a bull qualify, he waited and drug his feet on coming to look. He finally called back asking about him and a guy was standing in my pasture looking at the cows after he said he wanted the last bull.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4624
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:29 pm

that`s how stupid welfare has made us in KY...We should be ashamed, but hell, our organizations beat their chests over what they have done for us Shocked while insuring their own longevity at the slop barrell...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: perception versus reality   

Back to top Go down
 
perception versus reality
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Half dream half reality
» Dreams and 'reality' intermingling?
» Lap Band versus Sleeve
» NOA/NTP versus Purchase Order
» Seduced by myths and stories - ignoring reality - an example from today's NYTimes

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Advertise :: For Sale-
Jump to: