Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Morand Portable Cattle Handling System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hilly

PostSubject: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Purchased this portable handling system a year ago and have been pleased with the practicality of it. We have a Gallagher weigh system on it and it has the shoulder catch on it which helps processing logistics, the kids enjoy running the two slider doors. There are no head clearance issues and the frame is way heavier than the competition.

The only change I will make is to cover the swing gate on the crowding tub, as the see through gate makes it appear the path of least resistance. If we have room we like to run the cattle into the side man door (tried to point it out with the yellow arrow) on the crowding tub as it makes for better flow along the lines of the Bud Box idea.

Its 36’ long, 9’ wide and 6000 lbs.

Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Looks like a useful piece of metal for anyone that works cows in different places. I always wondered how the frame/axles would hold up on these things getting bumped about on our rough roads. I know someone who bought a REAL Industries one and has had a lot of problems with the axle attachment breaking. I have a REAL crowding tub and I can see why - REAL cheap and REAL poor construction. I don't use one enough to justify having a better quality one sitting rusting most of the year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 am

I never thought they built most of them heavy enough, but we had used Morand for our calving facility going on 20 years and had no complaints, so when my brother wanted me to share in the expense of a portable system, the only stipulation I had was that it would be the Morand. He is into trading cattle and has cattle coming and going at his place just about weekly, so it gets used a fair bit by him and with the ease of transport I have used it way more than I ever thought I would.

It has 2 - 12,000 lbs jacks one on each side and a 5,000 pound jack on the hitch, the main frame is 2-3 times heavier than any other system I’ve seen. All that being said that all adds to the weight, we have 5 main places we set it up and no rough roads to any location. I don’t know how it would fair off road, but they recommend you secure the chute in transport as it is only held on by the weigh bars.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:47 am

Interesting contraption. The gate thieves around here would have a lot of fun with that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:25 am

If you don't mind me asking Hilly, How much?
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:41 am

What would the gate thieves use it for? No one around here has cattle anymore and Grassy is to smart with his money to get away with it Smile
It wasn’t cheap, around $16000 without the weigh system $21000 total; four of us are in on it...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Quote :
What would the gate thieves use it for?

Not sure the answer to that as I have not found mine yet nor a neighbor. Taking them right off the post, hinges down don't matter. If they are scrapping them and most people think yes then they must be stealing the gas to drive around and get them or it would not pay. From a distance I watched my feedlot empty out at sunrise 2 weeks ago thinking some how they had gotten a gate open only to find the gate gone. I think about 7 gates gone total between myself and neighbor 1.5 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Morand Portable Cattle Handling System   

Back to top Go down

Morand Portable Cattle Handling System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1