Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Shoshone Encore semen for sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:05 pm

gee, I just noticed someone looking for Encore semen at Advantage...sure hope they find some, and get some calves so I can charge $1000/ certificate for them to register...I mean, if the game players are going to cash in rarity, why shouldn`t I ? I wonder why these gamesters that round up semen from third party sources think they are entitled to certificates from the original owners? I suggest you best buy certificates that are already in the hands of your semen source, or prepare to pay dearly..if you get certificates period Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Maybe someone wants to run DNA tests on encore.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:14 pm

patb wrote:
Maybe someone wants to run DNA tests on encore.
nahhh; the registered rarity game players
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:09 am

Sorry Mike, it is just a little guy (me) wanting to see what Encore calves on the ground look like. You told me that you didn't have any semen, so I thought it was worth a try. I was actually hoping that you might have a cow that you would like to flush the semen to. The ad has been there for months with no takers. Sad
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:15 am

R V wrote:
Sorry Mike, it is just a little guy (me) wanting to see what Encore calves on the ground look like. You told me that you didn't have any semen, so I thought it was worth a try. I was actually hoping that you might have a cow that you would like to flush the semen to. The ad has been there for months with no takers. Sad
oh shoot Ron, I thought it was someone that would be wanting to register calves, instead of just wanting progeny proof, and I was going to cash in on those certificates, just like the game players cash in on rarity and reputation created by someone else...sure isn`t much money/profit involved in creating genetics, the easy money is in creating those rare papered pedigrees
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:58 am

Quote :
I was going to cash in on those certificates

There goes the funding for the next porch on the cabin! Sad
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:25 pm

It was worth a try and if anyone does reply, I will be calling as you and Larry know the cattle better than anyone else. Thanks for the good work on this site! I am still trying to learn and I like this format. Hopefully, you, Larry and the other more experienced breeder will continue to take the time to teach and reflect on what you have learned/observed over the years. Thanks again! cheers
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:49 pm

R V wrote:
It was worth a try and if anyone does reply, I will be calling as you and Larry know the cattle better than anyone else. Thanks for the good work on this site! I am still trying to learn and I like this format. Hopefully, you, Larry and the other more experienced breeder will continue to take the time to teach and reflect on what you have learned/observed over the years. Thanks again! cheers
I`ll know I`ve accomplished something from a "learning" perspective here when buyers believe I have several bulls each year that sell for about 1500-$1800 dollars as good as Encore was; maybe better...instead of searching the past to create an artificial gem of rare color and ordinary use...
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:43 pm

You, Larry and several of the experienced breeders have accomplished a lot ---> you are still in the business! You are also willing to share you knowlege, experience and occasionally cattle/genetics. I would like to try to breed "goodness" and with my limited experience, I have had more success using older genetics or bulls from experienced breeders. This "success" has been in cows that do what I want them to do. There have been too few and my initial cattle base was a subpar/mongrelized lot that I am trying to improve. Thus far I have sold very few registered cattle. Maybe some day someone will want to buy my bulls, but our local market is tough. I still want to improve my cattle as much as possible. As you know, I wish both you and Larry would continue to register your cattle. Then there were would be more of them in the market place and they would not be "rare and expensive," but more plentiful and valuable to those of us trying to get on the right path. Unfortunately, most of us would not have understood this if you hadn't quit registering cattle. Sorry to ramble, but thanks for you time and help! Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Larry has gotten good; I`ve just gotten tired...and independent.
What more can I do but offer semen from this cow for 8 bucks...

while looking for Unwanted`s picture I ran across this "also ran" Embrook picture of a daughter of a $2100 top selling KA double bred Encore bull to Embrook..I`m posting it because it reminds me so much of the cow I`m keeping a son of

I guess what I like no one else likes...but I got a really nice compliment today...My cattle pay their way commercially, so I guess I can live on compliments in the breeding business...

my recent quote
"the dam of sniffthewind , 14 years old, breezed past me the other day too fast to get the camera set to moving pictures, so I caught her with a still...I think she is a model type of fertility and production; her produce back up those assertions...a 1400 lb cow, with a 600lb heifer this year ...nope, 50% weaning percentage is rarely ever seen here...or anywhere I visit registered herds..."

Mike, This was very refreshing to read. If I followed all (or any) the advice givers, I wouldn't have any cows left (but interestingly I have some money left). author unrevealed

Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Most rare and valuable cow---> produces good calves and semen Very Happy . Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I would be interested in semen and certificates and an older cow or two. I have never been to Larry's ranch, but I enjoyed the visit to your farm last fall. The bull from Larry and that bull's calves were impressive and I was very impressed with your cows and their calves. I am from Missouri "The Show Me State" and seeing was believing, but that was only part of the story. The sharing of some of your experiences has been valuable to me - including that visit, on the phone and via threads like this. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 pm

R V wrote:
Most rare and valuable cow---> produces good calves and semen Very Happy . Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I would be interested in semen and certificates and an older cow or two. I have never been to Larry's ranch, but I enjoyed the visit to your farm last fall. The bull from Larry and that bull's calves were impressive and I was very impressed with your cows and their calves. I am from Missouri "The Show Me State" and seeing was believing, but that was only part of the story. The sharing of some of your experiences has been valuable to me - including that visit, on the phone and via threads like this. Thanks again!
rare indeed; breeding cows to cows to get cows...the male just the sperm agent ..takes some getting used to, doesn`t it guys? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 am

typing one handed... broke left hand banding last week. thx for posting pic mike. we are selling two 221 dau. in sams sale. after seeing these cows work we AI to 221 heavily this summer.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:24 pm

southpaw wrote:
typing one handed... broke left hand banding last week. thx for posting pic mike. we are selling two 221 dau. in sams sale. after seeing these cows work we AI to 221 heavily this summer.
What`s the dam side on this 221 first calf heifer? What % of 221`s look like this? The 221`s were my favorite daughter group last year

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 am

<< Prev Page | Search Again | Home | Breed Association Codes | Defect Codes
Em Brook Miss Wix 757
Reg: AAA 16074665
Cow
Birth Date: 10/31/2007 Tattoo: 757
Breeder:
1098595 - Em Brook Angus, Schellsburg PA
Owner(s):
1098595 - Em Brook Angus, Schellsburg PA

Jauer 353 Traveler 593 25 AAA 12476753
K A Messenger 427 AAA 14150394
K A Miss Burgess 175 AAA 11754561
KA Powerade 221 AAA 14955727
Shoshone Encore 6310 AAA 10707343
K A Blackcap 602 AAA 13511044
K A Blackcap 912 AAA 11310880

Shoshone Fraser 6357 AAA 11637249
K A Forager 576 AAA 13403150
K A Antelope 576 AAA 12514818
Octoraro Miss Wix 015 AAA 13762476
Octoraro Quartermaster 501 AAA 12498865
Octoraro Miss Wix 719 AAA #12965265
Octoraro Miss Wix 527 AAA 12493377

here is the pedigree mike. 015 was sold into WV this spring. All three of these 221's are peas in a pod. 755 the first you pictured I think is the best. But tha'ts splitting hairs all three are very consistent in type and that's what we are after is consistency.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:33 pm

MKeeney wrote:

At first glance, I thought she was an Ohlde bred cow; similar type?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:50 pm

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

At first glance, I thought she was an Ohlde bred cow; similar type?
I really don`t think so; not intented to be ...somewhere in between the "flesh is the cure-all" and "all-out-production" matched with feed makes her kinda "average" in type Smile
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am

MKeeney wrote:
R V wrote:
I`ll know I`ve accomplished something from a "learning" perspective here when buyers believe I have several bulls each year that sell for about 1500-$1800 dollars as good as Encore was; maybe better...instead of searching the past to create an artificial gem of rare color and ordinary use...

Perhaps it's time to stop looking back at encore and look forward at next "encore"......Least ten years from now we find our selves looking for unwanted, sniffs the wind, ect, semen.
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:39 am

True, but if I have understood the gist of these threads and the little experience that I do have, we won't know which bull we should have used until ~10 years from now. Mike and Larry have advanced their cattle far enough and with enough experience that they all should be useful, but which one(s) will meet my needs the best. Mike and Larry also have breeding programs with experience/history and know how they are going to move forward with their programs. Unfortunately for me, that doesn't include registered Angus cattle, so I can't plan on buying their bulls and breeding in that fashion because I would like to stay in the registered business. If that were available, it would be much easier for me, but it is too late as Mike and Larry have apparently divorced or are in the process of divorcing the registered business. I will have to finish this thought process at a later date as I am too tired and not processing well.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:23 am

R V wrote:
True, but if I have understood the gist of these threads and the little experience that I do have, we won't know which bull we should have used until ~10 years from now. Mike and Larry have advanced their cattle far enough and with enough experience that they all should be useful, but which one(s) will meet my needs the best. Mike and Larry also have breeding programs with experience/history and know how they are going to move forward with their programs. Unfortunately for me, that doesn't include registered Angus cattle, so I can't plan on buying their bulls and breeding in that fashion because I would like to stay in the registered business. If that were available, it would be much easier for me, but it is too late as Mike and Larry have apparently divorced or are in the process of divorcing the registered business. I will have to finish this thought process at a later date as I am too tired and not processing well.
you are processing quiet well, Ron...when Irreconcilable Differences exist, Divorce is the only recourse...especially when it results in me saving the alimony I had been paying...
Larry may not be known for brevity, because he never leaves the explanation to chance...but in regard to him, not me, registering his cattle; he summed up the reason in the recent treatsie in one simple sentence...
Why would I want other breeders to mix up what I've spent so much time on trying to restore some genetic order
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 am

She's made some mistakes in the past, but she can change. Things will be different this time if you just give her another chance. Sad Think about the kids, Mike! What about the kids ?!?! Razz
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Tom D wrote:
She's made some mistakes in the past, but she can change. Things will be different this time if you just give her another chance. Sad Think about the kids, Mike! What about the kids ?!?! Razz
which of the A`s in AAA stand for Alimony? Smile
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Why would I want other breeders to mix up what I've spent so much time on trying to restore some genetic order

Who will continue the lines in which some of the genetic order has been restored? Hopefully, you both have found suitable successors for the registered cattle. (I would like to use both of your genetics, but I don't have the knowledge nor experience to be such a person.) Also for the best cattle (presuming persistent progress) there will be no pedigree to follow the progress over time. Once you and Larry are gone or unable to breed cattle, the cattle will presumably be sold as commercial cows and those gains will quickly be lost. Probably faster than in the registered arena, but I agree that this is breeder dependent.

Trying to purchase older semen or semen on current bulls or purchasing available cows/heifers will at least allow some of those genes to survive. If both are available, then there will be much less to mix up. Just let time and nature take her course - as with the Falloon cattle. (Unfortunately, this would require more capital than I have available.) I think the goodness would prevail if we can stay out of the way. I also think that both of your cattle lines would survive over time - just like the Anxiety line for Mr. Lents.

A different thought, but I think relevant. Neither you nor Larry would have had your current success without the credibility that AAA gave you when you were starting out and through the beginnings of your programs. You both have progressed where you can live with or without AAA, but it was still a necessary ingredient for your success in the beginning as it gave you credibility then. You both have earned the name and the respect that you have, but without a breed association, you wouldn't have gotten out of the gates. We (new breeders) are faced with this same predicament as we get started. We would also like to start with the best genetics that we can afford. You and Larry + our early experiences have convinced several of us "children" that we were looking for/starting with the wrong cattle. What is a kid to do? Question
Back to top Go down
jbob

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Rv, Good luck getting a straight answer on that one. I asked this same question not just a few months ago. It really is a shame that these genetics are now going to be tossed to the wind.

J.Bob Hould
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I am sure that LL and Mike paid all of their association fees to receive all of their received association services. Why should they continue to pay for services they don't need?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shoshone Encore semen for sale   

Back to top Go down

Shoshone Encore semen for sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next