Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Keystone wrote:
patb wrote:
I am far from being a expert on this topic. It is my understanding some of the traits are accross breeds while others are due to founder affects and selection that made a breed.

So, if the traits are breed specific as they are based on the current popular Angus population and the founder effects found therein, is there any reason to believe that some of the lines that I work with that are fairly distinct will be accurately profiled?

The above assumption was based on a genomic tests on a group of jersey bulls offspring that did not have the typical jersey genomic profile. It was discovered that the dam of the bulls was part red and white holstien as the markers indicated.

Your animals may have been included in the data set since they had DNA samples submitted for parent id depending on the testing labs policy.

It is my understanding that the bovines share a large number of common genes accross breeds but each breed may have some that are unique to that breed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:02 pm

patb wrote:
Keystone wrote:
patb wrote:
I am far from being a expert on this topic. It is my understanding some of the traits are accross breeds while others are due to founder affects and selection that made a breed.

So, if the traits are breed specific as they are based on the current popular Angus population and the founder effects found therein, is there any reason to believe that some of the lines that I work with that are fairly distinct will be accurately profiled?

The above assumption was based on a genomic tests on a group of jersey bulls offspring that did not have the typical jersey genomic profile. It was discovered that the dam of the bulls was part red and white holstien as the markers indicated.

Your animals may have been included in the data set since they had DNA samples submitted for parent id depending on the testing labs policy.

It is my understanding that the bovines share a large number of common genes accross breeds but each breed may have some that are unique to that breed.

Just as breeds may have unique genes relative to all cattle, a strain within a breed should have its own profile as there may be some traits that are strain specific that are not present otherwise within the breed. If you don't think so why did Tom Burke want LL to register his cattle with the AAA again? If the traits that are specific to the Shoshone cattle really weren't specific to them at all and were available within present registered Angus was Burke's appeal to LL more for political gain than genetic registered availability amongst the registered players?
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Another sore spot I suppose, The past donated data and DNA at my expense and then the decision to withold the EPD's but still charge me for the priveledge of submitting data. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Tom was probily looking for new genetics to market since several high profile operations have had issues with genetic challenges. Different strains/lines of cattle may have different alleles as this was alluded to in part 2 of the accelerated videos. The videos were made over a year ago and the technology and data interpetation.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:56 am

Quote :
If the traits that are specific to the Shoshone cattle really weren't specific to them at all and were available within present registered Angus was Burke's appeal to LL more for political gain than genetic registered availability amongst the registered players?
Dwight, we can only answer by reviewing the past actions of Tom. Have Tom's past actions regarding the breed and the breeders had anyhting to do with power, money, politics, breed purity, breeder responsibility or association responsibility? Multiple choice question. Pick any of the above or you can choose none of the above. If you want a hint: you never see a buzzard at a bird feeder. Surprised
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 am

Genex article about genomics in the holstein breed. The last paragraph sums up genomic usage pretty good.

quote from article "Never will genetic testing be smarter than Mother Nature, or replace good common-sense decision making, but future genomic technologies that are cost efficient to the dairy industry will give farmers the powerful tools to better feed the world. The potential of genomics is enormous, and we are just beginning to make use of that potential"

http://genex.crinet.com/page3246/GenomicsThePastPresentAndFuture

There are multiple articles about genomics on the Genex site.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:16 am

If you are considering genomic profiling animals consider using the AAA website to order the test. There seems to be a nice price break by doing so.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:24 pm

copy from the advantage cattle service site

There is a VG set of archived webinars from the American Jersey Cattle Assoc. online dealing with the accelerating adoption of genomics. It is an excellent example of an association staying in touch with its members as a new technology is being adopted.

http://www.usjersey.com/News/webinars.htm#TWJG

While there is a some dairy-speak involved, anyone interested in background briefing in bovine genomics (lab procedures, costs, sampling, competition and future possibilities) might want to take 30 minutes to listen to the 6 Oct session with GeneSeek and Dr. Curt Van Tassell.

http://www.usjersey.com/Webinars/ThisWeekInJerseyGenomics20101006.wvx

Tom Howard
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm

patb wrote:
copy from the advantage cattle service site

There is a VG set of archived webinars from the American Jersey Cattle Assoc. online dealing with the accelerating adoption of genomics. It is an excellent example of an association staying in touch with its members as a new technology is being adopted.

http://www.usjersey.com/News/webinars.htm#TWJG

While there is a some dairy-speak involved, anyone interested in background briefing in bovine genomics (lab procedures, costs, sampling, competition and future possibilities) might want to take 30 minutes to listen to the 6 Oct session with GeneSeek and Dr. Curt Van Tassell.

http://www.usjersey.com/Webinars/ThisWeekInJerseyGenomics20101006.wvx

Tom Howard
I had a very nice chat with Carli at the Jersey association today; very informative...and...I think I made her think about the difference between parent and production stock...I asked her if Jersey breeders wanted more milk; why didn`t they cross with Holstein{ i knew one prominent Jersey bull was a cross}..answer...because we get the baggage that comes with Holstein...ok, good answer...so, I asked if inbreeding was so costly in dairy production stock, why weren`t more producers cross breeding? ...answer..they are, to Jersey {I guess no baggage with Jersey, eh? Rolling Eyes }...so, I asked if producers are going to cross to Jersey, why wouldn`t Jersey breeders linebreed to create more consistency in the cross?...answer, seems a valid point, but they aren`t... and why aren`t they? my answer, same as has always been the case in beef breeds, "breeders" much prefer to avoid close breeding so they can create illusions of visible performance to impress the "phenotype" buying mainstream that the difference is all genotypic..
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 pm

another link for info on dairy genomics. If if can be done for dairy why isn't it being done for beef?

http://www.aipl.arsusda.gov/publish/other/2010/DCRC2010_grw.pdf
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I think it's still just a matter of numbers. According to the article, they are doing 2000 genomes a month for Holsteins, and the number of corresponding phenotypic evaluations via regular dhia testing is huge. Nothing even close in any beef breed yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?   

Back to top Go down

Genomics, sexed semen and maternal and terminal cattle?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4