Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A Bountiful Year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: A Bountiful Year   Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 pm

I've been spending little time at KC recently as we enjoy a beautiful fall and try to wrap up what's been a bountiful year before the snow flies. Here is some of the things we've been up to.

Foolin' with fall colors

" I have to go to kindergarden 2 days a week now but I'd rather be practising for the hog rodeo"

Looking west over my scruffy corrals to the first of the rolling, treed foothills leading to the Rockies. Four miles west of us it's pretty much all bush.

Seasonal challenges - the beaver always dam the river at this ford before winter which makes it hard to get the cows across once it freezes.

Plowed it out with my loader, but see reconstruction started the following day. I bet Mr Beaver was mad when he got home from work that night.
Mrs Beaver: "Honey there's no water in the basement" Mr Beaver: "Damn" Evil or Very Mad
Also fighting moose at the moment - a big bull scared the cows out of one swamp quarter and I see a cow moose is in another swamp I've yet to graze.

Grass has been so plentiful we even made some beautiful "2nd cut" hay out of grass that was previously grazed in early June - baled very late in September.

Left this one to graze off in the spring - an almost straight meadow brome stand with some legume in it. We are in the best shape ever going into winter - piles of silage, hay and straw, 400 acres of fall/winter grazing to go and enough banked to last the cows 6 weeks in the spring before the new growth comes.

Some of our grass fats getting close to slaughter weight. Had our heaviest ever 17 month steer hang a 693lb carcass - average is around 596lbs. Delivered the first load of beef in our seasonal meat retailing operation to customers in Calgary today - only 6 more weekly deliveries to go Sad

"Hair in my eyes like a Highland steer ! " Google Corb Lund.
More pictures once I get the download port on my camera fixed.

Grassfarmer in the vicinity of greatly enjoying natures bounty in the best year for a decade.

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: A Bountiful Year   Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 am

Good enough story, Ian. I laughed a little, cryed a little, and admired a little, cheered for the warrior against the battle of the beaver. Tom likes to dress up like a beaver, slap his tail on the table, and yell DANGER< DANGER. Then he giggles like a school girl. Speaking of school girls, you got a dandy there.

Bootheel, not a Scot.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A Bountiful Year   Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

That first picture is priceless flower

I too have a ongoing job security program in place with a hard working bunch of flat tailed rodents
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Bountiful Year   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Very nice Ian. I'm with Hilly, that first picture is priceless. I'm going to have to start carrying my camera more. You'll have to get some gut hooks for that girl as she gets bigger and see if she can get those pigs to fire a little more.

Jack in the vicinity of the PPR. Professional Pig Riders.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: A Bountiful Year   Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh, they can fire pretty good Jack - just not when they have their nose in the food. She's been bucked off a few times but still goes back for more.

GF in the vicinity of being too cheap to buy a kid a horse when they are satisfied with a pig Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Bountiful Year   

Back to top Go down

A Bountiful Year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1