Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Photoperiod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angus 62

PostSubject: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:55 am

For those of you that fall calf what do you think the effect of photoperiod [the hours of sunlight] have on the ability to get cows bred in the December period? We always seem to hit a dead spot that time of year where it seems hard to get cows bred. Is it a bigger problem then say declining feed value and cold weather?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Angus 62 wrote:
For those of you that fall calf what do you think the effect of photoperiod [the hours of sunlight] have on the ability to get cows bred in the December period? We always seem to hit a dead spot that time of year where it seems hard to get cows bred. Is it a bigger problem then say declining feed value and cold weather?

None, as is it far easier to get them bred up for a fall calf here, my guess, nutrition or extreme weather may be your culprit. The biggest challenge with falls here, is keeping them bred through the summer, high conception rate, upper 90% breed up on cows, depending on the year, such as this one, a disaster with slipped calves thru the summer.....the other challenge with heat and fall calves, short gestation, low birthweights, calf vigor.

I seldom lose a spring born calf....... getting them bred in the heat, is a real challenge for me.

A big snowstorm, on top of mud, for fall breeding, AI'ing, can be rather difficult for technicians, as well as bulls though.

The Feb to April calving has been a bust for me......moving to April-May, maybe June, or they will turn into falls. I like the springers, just getting the blasted things bred is a nightmare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

We have some spring calvers as well as fall calvers. I think it easier for the fall calvers jump ahead in their calving. So much so that we turned the bulls in with them when the oldest calf was a couple weeks old, to see if we can get them bred even earlier. My curiosity is getting the better of me I guess, but if I get some jumped ahead even more I may try to AI the earlier calving fall cows. That way if they don't take AI they can still have a natural calf that wont be too late in the season. Then again I may see if after a few more years I can jump them up into the spring calving group.
P.S. (This is were you are supposed to think I'm nuts.) drunken
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

I have had a bull get out with fall calvers a month or so after the start of calving and had middle of the summer calves figuring there was no way they could be cycling. I used to start AI around Thanksgiving and have bred in below zero standing in snow. It just seems the closer you get to the shortest day of the year the harder it is to get them bred though they look in good rig. Will start again this year about the first week in Nov as most years this is a good stretch of weather with things going to heck after Turkey Day.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm

This moving around calving reminds me of my first 10 heirers purchased in 1963 as I remember; Small, we calved them in June the first year...but dad thought we needed a bigger calf for the fall feeder sale; so we started putting the bull in sooner {might have stayed in; I forget}...anyway, of those original cows most all of them and their progeny eventually became Sept- October calvers by moving backwards...today, springs become fall moving the other way...
Fall is the 95% settling season here; December no problem; but this year only one left to calve; a tight inbred who did not settle first 2 times bred...I don`t have the summer embryo loss Bootheel speaks of; so far anyway..less fescue and a little cooler here I would guess..
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Angus 62 wrote:

None, as is it far easier to get them bred up for a fall calf here, my guess, nutrition or extreme weather may be your culprit. The biggest challenge with falls here, is keeping them bred through the summer, high conception rate, upper 90% breed up on cows, depending on the year, such as this one, a disaster with slipped calves thru the summer.....the other challenge with heat and fall calves, short gestation, low birthweights, calf vigor.

I seldom lose a spring born calf....... getting them bred in the heat, is a real challenge for me.

A big snowstorm, on top of mud, for fall breeding, AI'ing, can be rather difficult for technicians, as well as bulls though.

The Feb to April calving has been a bust for me......moving to April-May, maybe June, or they will turn into falls. I like the springers, just getting the blasted things bred is a nightmare.

We breed on peak grass (start may 25 ) I tried calving on peak grass not for me.....Minerals a must here
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photoperiod   

Back to top Go down

Photoperiod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-