Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

New breeder on board

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tulip

PostSubject: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:21 am

Hello fellow breeders! I am way outside the mainstream! I live in Sweden. I am creating a composite breed in a country that has no composites. It is a double muscled allround / maternal breed built out of my own interest for my own use. I want it to be moderate in size, fine to medium bone. Colour brindle with no or minimum white and horned. It is meant to be as trouble free as possible, where health and function are prioritized before growth

All heifers are kept for replacement, and strict culling is applied. Criteria for culling is fertility, disposition, conformation and production. Basically trouble is culled, and easy to manage is kept. I often decide to cull an animal many months before the opportune slaughter time. Also most bulls are used for breeding purposes except the ones with obvious faults, these are also frequently sorted by me so the majority of the yearlings and and some 2year olds are used. 2 month calving time, most calve the first three weeks. Records of maternal pedigree, calving date and weaning weight, as well as notes on difficult calvings disposition and so on. No records of paternal pedigree, multiple sire pasture. This makes for a blend of outcross and "inbreeding".

No castrated animals, no dehorning no deworming, no vets if I can help it!
They get minerals. All forage (most of it fertilzed with nitro), mobgrazing and stockpile, both for fall and spring. Silage for cows when on snow, and for weaners and bulls, heifer calves fed silage in confinement first winter, then go back with cows before breeding. Bulls are joined with the herd 1 july and removed 1 september calving heifers as 2 year old weaning all calves 6-7 months.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:47 am

tulip wrote:
Hello fellow breeders! I am way outside the mainstream! I live in Sweden. I am creating a composite breed in a country that has no composites. It is a double muscled allround / maternal breed built out of my own interest for my own use. I want it to be moderate in size, fine to medium bone. Colour brindle with no or minimum white and horned. It is meant to be as trouble free as possible, where health and function are prioritized before growth

All heifers are kept for replacement, and strict culling is applied. Criteria for culling is fertility, disposition, conformation and production. Basically trouble is culled, and easy to manage is kept. I often decide to cull an animal many months before the opportune slaughter time. Also most bulls are used for breeding purposes except the ones with obvious faults, these are also frequently sorted by me so the majority of the yearlings and and some 2year olds are used. 2 month calving time, most calve the first three weeks. Records of maternal pedigree, calving date and weaning weight, as well as notes on difficult calvings disposition and so on. No records of paternal pedigree, multiple sire pasture. This makes for a blend of outcross and "inbreeding".

No castrated animals, no dehorning no deworming, no vets if I can help it!
They get minerals. All forage (most of it fertilzed with nitro), mobgrazing and stockpile, both for fall and spring. Silage for cows when on snow, and for weaners and bulls, heifer calves fed silage in confinement first winter, then go back with cows before breeding. Bulls are joined with the herd 1 july and removed 1 september calving heifers as 2 year old weaning all calves 6-7 months.

Thank you and welcome Tulip...sorry about placing your location as Norway; that`s where I saw your internet dot...we would enjoy pictures and information about the beef industry there; and how what you are doing "fits"...and don`t be surprised when visitors might drop in; some posters here have family in Sweden...
hey folks, how about Sweden as a place for a Gathering? Bootheel surely wouldn`t drive ... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
tulip

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 am

MKeeney wrote:

Thank you and welcome Tulip...sorry about placing your location as Norway; that`s where I saw your internet dot...we would enjoy pictures and information about the beef industry there; and how what you are doing "fits"...and don`t be surprised when visitors might drop in; some posters here have family in Sweden...
hey folks, how about Sweden as a place for a Gathering? Bootheel surely wouldn`t drive ... Smile

Now that you mention it maybe I live in norway, Basketball now that many people might come soon...
wait, did you say norway, Basketball I`\m on malta, cyclops thats the place! Come whenever you like and bring the extended family! jocolor

The beef situation in sweden, as well as many parts of europe is that big chunks of meat pays way better than marbling. And to be frank, an animal with big bone is payed more than it deserves compared to medium or light bone. It`s easier to produce high gains this way, because bone is produced cheaper than real meat. Too much trim fat is actually punished for.Use of much international sires, no discussion about the frame race, or economics in more moderate cattle. Faster gains sell better, polled bulls seems to be more important than one can pencil out. Most registered breeders seem to choose a breed at random and then defend that choice the rest of their days, touting their breed is the best. No one sell yearling stockers, either sell at weaning or grow them out to full slaughter weight. Live cattle market have more info than appearently the us and less guesswork of breed % in crossbred feeder animals. When feeding out cattle much grass silage is fed even to those that eat much feed. Feedlots are less extreme, and thereby conventional meat is not so unhealthy compared to grassfed.Common breeds charolais, hereford, simmenthal, angus, limousine, highland cattle, and a few blonde daquitaines. Some use belgian blue, but this is considered bad by the public.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm

tulip wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Now that you mention it maybe I live in norway, Basketball now that many people might come soon...
wait, did you say norway, Basketball I`\m on malta, cyclops thats the place! Come whenever you like and bring the extended family! jocolor

The beef situation in sweden, as well as many parts of europe is that big chunks of meat pays way better than marbling. And to be frank, an animal with big bone is payed more than it deserves compared to medium or light bone. It`s easier to produce high gains this way, because bone is produced cheaper than real meat. Too much trim fat is actually punished for.Use of much international sires, no discussion about the frame race, or economics in more moderate cattle. Faster gains sell better, polled bulls seems to be more important than one can pencil out. Most registered breeders seem to choose a breed at random and then defend that choice the rest of their days, touting their breed is the best. No one sell yearling stockers, either sell at weaning or grow them out to full slaughter weight. Live cattle market have more info than appearently the us and less guesswork of breed % in crossbred feeder animals. When feeding out cattle much grass silage is fed even to those that eat much feed. Feedlots are less extreme, and thereby conventional meat is not so unhealthy compared to grassfed.Common breeds charolais, hereford, simmenthal, angus, limousine, highland cattle, and a few blonde daquitaines. Some use belgian blue, but this is considered bad by the public.

the power of the written word is incredible aided by a little internet experience...I already sense Tulip as being one of our kind; independently doing his own thing outside the mainstream, and I recognize a sense of humor ...going to be a nice addition and I`m anxious to hear and see more...thx for joining in...
Back to top Go down
tulip

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 am

A note on my culling practices. Bulls are fed to full slaughter weight, cull heifers are mated one season and slaughtered after weaning first calf. Culling starts at birth, if there is complications, I note it. A bull calf with complicated birth is never used for breeding, a heifer calf is mated once. Every calf gets a "cow card" (bulls too Very Happy ) that stays in the "herd book" until the animal is culled/harvested, and then is moved to the "Book of dead".
Disposition problems is noted. I do not weigh calves just measure with a tape, Perhaps less accurate, but more convenient. And all get the same treatment anyway. Weaning weight also noted (cull reason for the calf only if it is considerably low), measured with tape too.

All heifers are mated, also those I already decided to cull. There is an old rule they need to be 60% of grown weight, but all make that, so it is not a culling criteria.

Bulls are allowed to breed if they have decent feet and conformation, if disposition is allright, no nervous or agressive behaviour. I do not select for high growth, but I select away from low growth, so duds are culled, measuring tape again.

Any heifer or cow that do not get pregnant in 62 days, basically three chances, are culled. This means more chances for early calvers and less chances for late calvers, so the performance last year affects performance this year. Sometimes i cull few late calvers if I need to cull more, to maintain herd size.
Those that loose the pregnancy are culled if I notice.
Calving problems means cow is culled, of course if the calf lives the cow lives until after weaning.
Bad udders also culled, but this is rare.
Same for feet, just a few.
Cows that do not winter well, and those that do not slick off properly, also just a few. It is my understanding or prejudice that these cows have less adaptability or hardiness.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 am

Tulip,
why did you merge two breeds to start your breeding project?
Back to top Go down
tulip

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Tulip,

I am merging five.
Basically because the breed I want did not exist.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:15 pm

tulip wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Tulip,

I am merging five.
Basically because the breed I want did not exist.
Good Lands man, Clay Center is not even that ambitous...tell us more...what 5 and why each part?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New breeder on board   

Back to top Go down

New breeder on board
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1