Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PatB

PostSubject: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 am

Has any one seen any offspring of this bull or the bull himself or more importantly his dam? His maternal grandsire is HBR Encore 0544 from the area of 2 dot bridge any insight into this bull would be appreciated. Looking for an AI bull to breed heifers to that will leave behind a solid female and a little hybrid vigor in the steers would not hurt. Cool
Back to top Go down
knabe

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 am

emotions are always right.

Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am

Here is a bull that may work for you to broaden your genetic base, leave you some solid females and put a little hybrid vigour in your steers... heifers as well for that matter, giving that real solid look.

But I would think there are some registered Angus out there that would give you broader width of base, I just don’t have any experience with them.

http://www.bar5.com/animals/circle3bulls/expert286m.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:37 am

I must be lost, grumpy, droughted out, confused. Where am I? Defects are us.

If I wanted to know about, df Super Simmie, I'd call or visit df

Dykstra's Dysfuncional Dilema, I'd call Tom.

JackMac's Jackrabbit, hmm, maybe call or go visit Jack.

Cole Crick Juniper, hmm, talk to Greg Golden. I'd think he would tell, know more, than any of us jacklegs know about HIS cattle.

Bootheel, just a dumbass from Missouri, that doesn't know more about anyone elses cattle, than anyone else.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Bootheel wrote:
I must be lost, grumpy, droughted out, confused. Where am I? Defects are us.

If I wanted to know about, df Super Simmie, I'd call or visit df

Dykstra's Dysfuncional Dilema, I'd call Tom.

JackMac's Jackrabbit, hmm, maybe call or go visit Jack.

Cole Crick Juniper, hmm, talk to Greg Golden. I'd think he would tell, know more, than any of us jacklegs know about HIS cattle.

Bootheel, just a dumbass from Missouri, that doesn't know more about anyone elses cattle, than anyone else.

You are grumpy today Crying or Very sad Do you need to talk it out??
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Hilly wrote:
Here is a bull that may work for you to broaden your genetic base, leave you some solid females and put a little hybrid vigour in your steers... heifers as well for that matter, giving that real solid look.

But I would think there are some registered Angus out there that would give you broader width of base, I just don’t have any experience with them.

http://www.bar5.com/animals/circle3bulls/expert286m.htm

I am looking to avoid major challenges and that bull looks like a calving nightmare. I was hoping dennis would weigh in on hbr encore 0544. I have 20 heifers I would like to AI before turning out the home raised bull.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm

One of those tradeoffs, I guess I misunderstood your solid cow comment...

Your interest in avoiding challenges, seems superficial at best when you post a question like that on KC and expecting an answer much more than what Joe put so eloquently Smile .

Even more so given the fact you have been around for a while.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:30 pm

You should check with JimL. I think he's pretty high on the bull, as well as the folks behind the bull, presumably including Dr. Voss.

As for the HBR Encore bull, I looked him up for you. He's pretty much in the worst half of the breed
in every trait, including birthweight, calving ease, disposition, growth, and carcass traits. Probably not much there.

Last edited by Mean Spirit on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Besides talking to Greg-- I would give Kevin Dietz a call... We exchanged some e-mails about a year ago about the bull- and Kevin was really high on the bull- and I know they and Van Dykes used him quite a bit.. If I remember right he had several commercial folks using him too to get a good test on him...Dietz and VanDykes had some of his sons in their sale last spring..

http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2779&p=43968&hilit=ridge#p43968

To me the bull in his pedigree that raises my interest in the bull is C H Quantum 6247- that he goes back to on both top and bottom... The bull has raised some good daughters/granddaughters...
If I used AI more- I would probably breed some heifers to Cedar Ridge just for that reason....
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Mean Spirit wrote:
You should check with JimL. I think he's pretty high on the bull, as well as the folks behind the bull, presumably including Dr. Voss.

As for the HBR Encore bull, I looked him up for you. He's pretty much in the worst half of the breed
in every trait, including birthweight, calving ease, cocooned, growth, and carcass traits. Probably not much there.

I see nothing wrong with hbr encore epd's beside maybe the calving ease.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:17 pm

FWIW, I didn't mean to suggest HBR Encore was "cocooned". I have an annoying autospell function on a device. I was actually trying to point out his below average disposition EPD.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 am

Hilly wrote:

Your interest in avoiding challenges, seems superficial at best when you post a question like that on KC and expecting an answer much more than what Joe put so eloquently Smile .

I had missed this yesterday...too much silage time...nice job Hilly and Boot...breeding cattle based on hearsay is akin to heresy on this site Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:26 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Hilly wrote:

I had missed this yesterday...too much silage time...nice job Hilly and Boot...breeding cattle based on hearsay is akin to heresy on this site Smile

When I first read it I became a little nauseated, but I thought well maybe it was because the wife was sick, and it was making me sick. So then I got to worship the porcelain god last night. The youngins all have it. My parents, of which my Dad was out of town, and checked into the hospital convinced some life threatening illness had struck him. Poor Dad, it only makes you want to die for little while. My father in law got the bug too. I don't know where it originated, but it moves fast and furious.

All the while, the mindset of this whole line of information retrieval, is still rather nauseating. We have all been there I reckon, but I think most of it is just the want, to have, what everybody else has, or to get in on the next great thing. Most of which, under the guiles of improvement, is nothing more than change.

It has been a rather comical day, reading all the ways to improve cattle out there. Some folks want to clone them. Some want the one with the most, bred to least, some just don't want to make them worse. Cloning to me, is a laughable farce. It is on the same spectrum as needing completely new bloodlines, bulls, semen to work with every year, just on opposite points of the wavelength. Some of the afforementioned I, myself have been guilty of in the not to distant past.

Speaking of new bloodlines, new bulls, the Sam calves have been coming rather quickly, as I had six born in one day, Mike, and no, no AI, synch protocols. Only one Sniffy, out of a heifer so far. These two bulls alone would give me more variation, than I could control, without adding more from everybody else's cattle, that do everything else.

Pat, you lost me when you said you hoped Dennis would weigh in on the influence in this particular bull, because he had raised his grandsire. Did you also enquire into the other 3 grandparents in the pedigree, or are they of less significance? My hat is off to you for having the cajones to brave such a question here, knowing the mindset, instability, and general wack job nature of the posters here. Someone else tried it not long ago, with similar results. Maybe you are just as crazy as the rest of us. If you are, congratulations. If it was a limp noodled, standard, run of the mill, "has anybody seen so and so'', then forshame on you.

Bootheel, worried about Pat, and what this topic may do to his self image.

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Bootheel wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Hilly wrote:

When I first read it I became a little nauseated, but I thought well maybe it was because the wife was sick, and it was making me sick. So then I got to worship the porcelain god last night. The youngins all have it. My parents, of which my Dad was out of town, and checked into the hospital convinced some life threatening illness had struck him. Poor Dad, it only makes you want to die for little while. My father in law got the bug too. I don't know where it originated, but it moves fast and furious.

All the while, the mindset of this whole line of information retrieval, is still rather nauseating. We have all been there I reckon, but I think most of it is just the want, to have, what everybody else has, or to get in on the next great thing. Most of which, under the guiles of improvement, is nothing more than change.

It has been a rather comical day, reading all the ways to improve cattle out there. Some folks want to clone them. Some want the one with the most, bred to least, some just don't want to make them worse. Cloning to me, is a laughable farce. It is on the same spectrum as needing completely new bloodlines, bulls, semen to work with every year, just on opposite points of the wavelength. Some of the afforementioned I, myself have been guilty of in the not to distant past.

Speaking of new bloodlines, new bulls, the Sam calves have been coming rather quickly, as I had six born in one day, Mike, and no, no AI, synch protocols. Only one Sniffy, out of a heifer so far. These two bulls alone would give me more variation, than I could control, without adding more from everybody else's cattle, that do everything else.

Pat, you lost me when you said you hoped Dennis would weigh in on the influence in this particular bull, because he had raised his grandsire. Did you also enquire into the other 3 grandparents in the pedigree, or are they of less significance? My hat is off to you for having the cajones to brave such a question here, knowing the mindset, instability, and general wack job nature of the posters here. Someone else tried it not long ago, with similar results. Maybe you are just as crazy as the rest of us. If you are, congratulations. If it was a limp noodled, standard, run of the mill, "has anybody seen so and so'', then forshame on you.

Bootheel, worried about Pat, and what this topic may do to his self image.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by A.I. Bull

For those of you that ALWAYS have to get personal about breeding cows why don't you keep it on 5bar x or wherever and leave this site for kicking around questions & ideas instead of each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree

If a bull is worth collecting it is worth testing for known testable genetic challenges

Pat Bates, Turner, Maine
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I figured I would take alot of flack for the question but had hope maybe a nugget of information would come out of the two dot area or some other unlikely source. What difference does it make where I source my genetics from or do you only use animals produced in only your own herd and bring in no outside influence? I seemed to recall sniffy mentioned above plus other sires in other post. Each of these chat boards have their own personallity, style and tolerance and sense of humor.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm

aww come on now guys, Pat was just having a Foxx kind of day... Smile
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm

MKeeney wrote:
aww come on now guys, Pat was just having a Foxx kind of day... Smile

Ohh....Don't tell us you're Pat too!
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I think Pat's a pretty good sport. These people are grumpy and uncaring sometime.

MS, in the vicinity of lamenting the lack of nurturing at KC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 pm

patb wrote:
Has any one seen any offspring of this bull or the bull himself or more importantly his dam? His maternal grandsire is HBR Encore 0544 from the area of 2 dot bridge any insight into this bull would be appreciated. Looking for an AI bull to breed heifers to that will leave behind a solid female and a little hybrid vigor in the steers would not hurt.

By The Book Paddle Rattle (your Indian name, for now) I only have enough time for 1 post. I'm very busy, as is everyone else. Actually it's my brain, I only have enough up there to deal with 1 post. We purchased 0544's dam as a heifer calf from Connolleys. She was a very big cow, feminine but big. Too big for our eventual direction. We sold her to Tom McBee in Tennessee. Some of the full sisters to 0544 are exceptional but still on the larger side (1400 lbs mature). 0544 has an excellent full brother at Dimond Angus, Wood ,SD. You might contact Ben Dimond. We did some line breeding with 0544's dam in that we put the 485 cow in the mix through 3 of her sons, 054, 977 and 1148. The more we lined these through various descendents the more we arrived at a little Jersey cow type, very fertile and milky but severely Jersey. If Jack Mac reads this post, he'll know a lot about it because I sent some embryos to him. I think they turned out be vaporizors. Of course when we outcrossed her to Encore we got fundamental F1. 0544 was a beautiful bull at 1 year old. I think eventually he got quite large. I've never kept up with his numbers because I don't give a rat's ass about numbers. There should be lots of fertility, perhaps a little extra birth, plenty of frame, and if you were to save steers out of him to feed out as yearlings, they probably would finish at about 1500-1600 lbs. 0544's dam had a nice enough udder but a hell of a long ways from a Shoshone finesse udder. I presume Encore would have helped a lot with the udders. It's been my experience that big old power cows like his dam end up with fairly sloppy udders as 7-8 yr old cows. Anyhow, that's all I can tell you from the Two Dot bridge. If you need to know more, Tom D now lives under the Two Dot bridge. He's scared the living hell out of a few fishermen lately. I guess he's drawing a mural on the concrete abutment. Something about a bi-polar bear.

Dennis Voss in the vicinity of seven little cells playing skip rope in my brain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
a bi-polar bear.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:53 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
patb wrote:
Has any one seen any offspring of this bull or the bull himself or more importantly his dam? His maternal grandsire is HBR Encore 0544 from the area of 2 dot bridge any insight into this bull would be appreciated. Looking for an AI bull to breed heifers to that will leave behind a solid female and a little hybrid vigor in the steers would not hurt.

By The Book Paddle Rattle (your Indian name, for now) I only have enough time for 1 post. I'm very busy, as is everyone else. Actually it's my brain, I only have enough up there to deal with 1 post. We purchased 0544's dam as a heifer calf from Connolleys. She was a very big cow, feminine but big. Too big for our eventual direction. We sold her to Tom McBee in Tennessee. Some of the full sisters to 0544 are exceptional but still on the larger side (1400 lbs mature). 0544 has an excellent full brother at Dimond Angus, Wood ,SD. You might contact Ben Dimond. We did some line breeding with 0544's dam in that we put the 485 cow in the mix through 3 of her sons, 054, 977 and 1148. The more we lined these through various descendents the more we arrived at a little Jersey cow type, very fertile and milky but severely Jersey. If Jack Mac reads this post, he'll know a lot about it because I sent some embryos to him. I think they turned out be vaporizors. Of course when we outcrossed her to Encore we got fundamental F1. 0544 was a beautiful bull at 1 year old. I think eventually he got quite large. I've never kept up with his numbers because I don't give a rat's ass about numbers. There should be lots of fertility, perhaps a little extra birth, plenty of frame, and if you were to save steers out of him to feed out as yearlings, they probably would finish at about 1500-1600 lbs. 0544's dam had a nice enough udder but a hell of a long ways from a Shoshone finesse udder. I presume Encore would have helped a lot with the udders. It's been my experience that big old power cows like his dam end up with fairly sloppy udders as 7-8 yr old cows. Anyhow, that's all I can tell you from the Two Dot bridge. If you need to know more, Tom D now lives under the Two Dot bridge. He's scared the living hell out of a few fishermen lately. I guess he's drawing a mural on the concrete abutment. Something about a bi-polar bear.

Dennis Voss in the vicinity of seven little cells playing skip rope in my brain.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 am

patb wrote:
Dennis Voss wrote:
patb wrote:

Thank you
I believe you got more than a nugget of knowledge above Pat...I`m hoping TomD gets the mural finished soon; that box he lives in will get pretty chilly in a couple months...and who knows, a bi polar bear might get confused about more than his sexuality, change his specie preference, and wanna start sleeping with Tom under the bridge...
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:35 am

Pat,

I stand corrected and impressed with your perceptiveness in receiving the answer you were after.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am

patb, you are a good sport, DV
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Indeed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v   

Back to top Go down

Cole Creek cedar ridge 1v
View previous topic View next topic Back to top