Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Grass bred cattle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Grass bred cattle   Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Since we live on the Hi-line of Montana ( which is designated that not only because its the northern 50 miles from the Canuck border- but because everyone waves Hi to every vehicle they meet) Razz ---more and more folks are going to running yearlings... A couple of the 5,000 to 15,000+ units have been moving toward it for years-going to 90-95% yearlings---but over the last year I have talked to several of the smaller owners - 300-500 that are thinking the same... And today after a meeting - I talked to 2 more...All are about set up the same with grazing land or leases they have to use (and especially if Montana leases double from $6 to $12 a pair)- and that are getting older ( in their 60's with no siblings that want anything to do with 24 hour ranching) that say they will just run yearlings rather than the work of running cows- bulls- and calving....

Does that mean that the cattle/breeding that can forage and gain/finish on grass are going to be that much more valuable ? Wink cheers ...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
Since we live on the Hi-line of Montana ( which is designated that not only because its the northern 50 miles from the Canuck border- but because everyone waves Hi to every vehicle they meet) Razz ---more and more folks are going to running yearlings... A couple of the 5,000 to 15,000+ units have been moving toward it for years-going to 90-95% yearlings---but over the last year I have talked to several of the smaller owners - 300-500 that are thinking the same... And today after a meeting - I talked to 2 more...All are about set up the same with grazing land or leases they have to use (and especially if Montana leases double from $6 to $12 a pair)- and that are getting older ( in their 60's with no siblings that want anything to do with 24 hour ranching) that say they will just run yearlings rather than the work of running cows- bulls- and calving....

Does that mean that the cattle/breeding that can forage and gain/finish on grass are going to be that much more valuable ? Wink cheers ...
what is that type?...my Wagyu crosses are doing great on grass, and I bet nearing choice grade
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:37 am

MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

what is that type?...my Wagyu crosses are doing great on grass, and I bet nearing choice grade

Can they be roughed thru the winter on hay only- than thrown out on grass in April as 6 weights amongst the melting snowdrifts- and brought in and shipped at 1000 lbs in Sept/early Oct?

Do you think the SAV type that has been bred to survive on creep feed/ top quality chow could survive under such conditions let alone thrive...The seven loads of steers the neighbor shipped the other day went out on grass at about 6 weights- and those shipped were all over 1000... They have about 70 loads more to work, weigh, and ship...

They used to 80% cowcalf- now they are 90% yearling- and from what they tell me going entirely away from raising cows....
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:08 am

I know some of SAV genetics work on grass better than some of the so called grass genetics from personal experience.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Mike asks a good question re type.

Here is a mongrelized or crossbred, your choice, 2 yr old steer, 865lb hot carcass wt, Longhorn, Red Angus, Jersey, Gelbvieh.

Not sure if he is the right type but he grew well on grass and we will make a good net return on the carcass.

A commercial Angus 2 yr old steer hung a 897 lb carcass.

A commercial Red Angus steer hung a 726 lb carcass.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Mike asks a good question re type.

Here is a mongrelized or crossbred, your choice, 2 yr old steer, 865lb hot carcass wt, Longhorn, Red Angus, Jersey, Gelbvieh.

Not sure if he is the right type but he grew well on grass and we will make a good net return on the carcass.

A commercial Angus 2 yr old steer hung a 897 lb carcass.

A commercial Red Angus steer hung a 726 lb carcass.

i believe that pretty much lays to rest "the fat pud" being neccessary for grassfed beef...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Likely some pretty good grass too.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Will cattle/carcass's that size "fit in the box"- or are they too large for most....

An article I read a short time back was saying that many of the restaurant owners were looking for animals that produced smaller cuts to fit the growing demand of the customers...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:04 pm

550 to 1000lbs is the acceptable range, generally. So these would be right dead center, average if you will........hmm.

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Yep-- according to the latest USDA posting 600-900lb rail weights are top prices with both prices between 400-600 and 900 to 1000+ discounted....
These 1000-1100 lb grass yearling steers being shipped now could probably make it at that 600 range...

The last grassfed steer I butchered in July weighed 716 on the rail.....
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Our heaviest steer yesterday an Angus Gelbvieh weighed 919.

OT, to date over the last 16 years of selling beef we have not recieved any market signals that these carcass weights are to heavy.

Steaks can be cut in half, people can share, boxes come in many sizes. Processorrs are always looking for excuses to discount.

Restaurants, chefs specifically are demanding and fussy and yet typically are interested in only a very small % of the carcass, very specific cuts and usually fresh, we don't cater to them for these reasons.

In our experience very few 1000 to 1100 lb yearlings in our system under our management will yield a 600 lb hot weight.

Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:56 pm

I just sold/traded a three year old fat dry cow for beef. She weighed 717# on the rail. I'm guessing she had a live weight of 1250#'s.

She brought in a nice check, a 50' foot rawhide Reata and a Bosal.

I'm thinking I made out so well, I might need to go do some "Community Service" somewhere.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm

rross wrote:
I just sold/traded a three year old fat dry cow for beef. She weighed 717# on the rail. I'm guessing she had a live weight of 1250#'s.

I'm thinking I made out so well, I might need to go do some "Community Service" somewhere.

and I learned a new word out of the deal...everything`s a rope here Smile back to the yearling deal; more farmers have that in mind here...better fior calf prics; cuts bull sales a bit...I`ll settle for the commercial calf price improvement it brings...
Back to top Go down
knabe

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:27 pm

i learned a new phrase.

it'll make a crap. refers to both low quality feed and cattle without being overtly negative.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 am

MKeeney wrote:
rross wrote:

and I learned a new word out of the deal...everything`s a rope here Smile back to the yearling deal; more farmers have that in mind here...better fior calf prics; cuts bull sales a bit...I`ll settle for the commercial calf price improvement it brings...

Thats my thinking too- the more locals that go to running yearlings- the stronger local market it makes for calves...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 pm

the above steer intrigues me...if made on purpose, he`s a crossbred, maybe more...does he have a pedigree...or a known past ? Smile
Back to top Go down
knabe

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:53 pm

he looks a lot like a cross bred dog. don't really see the mystery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:47 pm

MKeeney wrote:

the above steer intrigues me...if made on purpose, he`s a crossbred, maybe more...does he have a pedigree...or a known past ? Smile

Wonderful, beautifully simple. But, but, but it can't be done that way. It is against the rules. Of course if you take all accountability upon yourself, rather than blame a feeder, packer, order buyer, retail store, chef, it does change the rules a bit.

Congratulations Dylan, taking on the risk and the reward. I bet he ate just fine too.

I am also quite sure Dylan had no intentions of keeping this beautiful specimen for breeding stock.

Bootheel, a not so humble admirer of all things independent

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm

if he was black and polled, most, including me, would call him an Angus...
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Mike, he is a product of serendipity, sorry.

Knabe, where can I find a dog with horns, most I have seen are polled.

Bootheel,thank you, I thought he was beautiful also, I kept his hide, it will look good on the floor.

Becoming a price setter certainly has reduced my cattle marketing angst.

Dylan Biggs, in the vicinity of unmysterious crossbred dogs that will return a good margin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grass bred cattle   

Back to top Go down

Grass bred cattle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1