Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

which one are you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
larkota

PostSubject: which one are you?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 am

Classes of Certified Seed
There are four classes (generations) of certified seed. In order of genetic purity they are breeder, foundation, registered and certified seed.

Breeder seed is directly controlled by the originating plant breeder, sponsoring institution or firm which supplies the initial source and recurring increases of foundation seed. There are no certification standards for breeder seed.
a breeder will make available a small quantity of seed stock that is very pure and represents the variety. This stock is referred to as parental material

Foundation seed is produced from breeder's seed or foundation seed produced under the control of the originator or sponsoring institution or licensee. Foundation seed is controlled by the originating plant owner or licensee.

Registered seed is produced from foundation or other approved seed stocks. This class of seed shall be of a quality suitable for the production of certified seed. This seed is usually, but not always, one generation from foundation seed.

Certified seed is produced from foundation, registered, certified, or other approved seed stocks. This seed is two generations from foundation seed. Certified seed can not be used to produce certified seed again without the approval of the state certification agency, which can approve production only under extreme conditions.

Bin-run

There is a practical need to limit the number of generations that the seed is multiplied after breeder seed.
Roguing, removing undesirable plants, is another fundamental aspect of seed production.

I look at cattle breeders like wheat seed. do you ever ask yourself where you fit in? does herd size fit into which seed you produce? looks to me as if we need all 5 classes. funny how everyone wants to be breeders of cattle, when most wheat is sold as bin-run. nothing wrong with a mutiplier (bin-run) if you dont keep the seed.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 am

Same structure happens in cattle breeding for sure, but the genetics get diluted more the farther from the foundation...maybe instead of wheat, what if the analogy was hybrid corn?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Back when I was a farmer, every year we would plant a field of foundation rice seed, have it cleaned and bagged to plant the rest of the crop the next year. Each following generation, the yield, disease resistance, and quality would go down. The difference between farming and cattle is that there was no sort in the next generation....you planted what came out of the bag. The same situation in cattle would be to keep every heifer calve every generation and sell an equal number of cows to keep number of head exactly the same. I don't think that would be a pretty picture.

A direct comparison of plant and animal breeding doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm a black sheep with white sheep.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm

RobertMac wrote:
Back when I was a farmer, every year we would plant a field of foundation rice seed, have it cleaned and bagged to plant the rest of the crop the next year. Each following generation, the yield, disease resistance, and quality would go down. The difference between farming and cattle is that there was no sort in the next generation....you planted what came out of the bag. The same situation in cattle would be to keep every heifer calve every generation and sell an equal number of cows to keep number of head exactly the same. I don't think that would be a pretty picture.

why did the rice yield go down? wasn`t the genetics was the same...?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:

why did the rice yield go down? wasn`t the genetics was the same...?
Plants must not breed true either
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which one are you?   

Back to top Go down

which one are you?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: